FIFA World Cup 2018

Quality crap....its all relative. Would we have the improved quality of the teams in Senegal, Egypt, Japan etc if it were not for the participation of their players in major European leagues? All a good thing, but it has costs - opportunity costs - a well known socio-economic concept that affects football too.
Are you sure you're following your own point?

England were severe under achievers when English players were abundant in the top league. They are/were no different when foreign players began to outnumber them.

England's issues are varied, but one big one, was the inability of the FA, clubs, fans etc, to get out of the old mindsets of "get it up to the big lad" etc. How many top quality young players who were maybe smaller, not as strong, but technically gifted, were lost to such out-dated methods...i'd bet quite a few.

Football had changed, and England got left behind.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
England came to this competition with little hope of doing much, they are returning, after Saturday, as a team with huge potential to build on. They also seem to have found a manager able to send out a team. All great stuff for the game in England.

I wonder how long before the guys at the FA feck it all up :mad:. :twisted:

Are you sure you're following your own point?

England were severe under achievers when English players were abundant in the top league. They are/were no different when foreign players began to outnumber them.

England's issues are varied, but one big one, was the inability of the FA, clubs, fans etc, to get out of the old mindsets of "get it up to the big lad" etc. How many top quality young players who were maybe smaller, not as strong, but technically gifted, were lost to such out-dated methods...i'd bet quite a few.

Football had changed, and England got left behind.
I was acknowledging your point, citing a potential cause (note the singular use) and supporting my own argument by citing 'opportunity' costs. Properly so called, an 'argument' isn't a fight, its a reasoned position that acknowledges alternative points of view. End of lesson. To follow your latest point, there is always a degree of subjectivity in the selection aspects of any human process. It is easy to identify deficiencies, less so to prove that alternatives would have been any more successful.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Same as in Glasgow.

If one half of the womanhood in Weedgieland isn't getting battered on a Saturday, the other half is.

Pathetic simply isn't descriptive enough.
In all fairness it flows both ways. I was helping the wife a few Sunday's back to make the dinner, I was starting on the gravy and mearly asked where she keeps the lumps.

Well I never moved so quick in my life.=-D

A nation of 350,000 did for England two years ago! See my post 3358. It took a nation with a population ten times greater than ours nearly/just over a hundred years to catch us. Happy days.
I was aware of that and the fact Croatia are a population of only 4m when I made the comment.

I’ll leave you to figure out why.

Listening to Chris Kamara [sic] this morning he made a good point. "In the first half we got forward and Croatia allowed us the space to do so, however after the break they changed their game plan, pressed us further up the field and gained more space for their midfield to exploit. We didn't appear to have a plan to counter it."

I agree and wondered why Southgate let us continue as we were instead of looking to adapt our shape and personnel as a counter. Tactically naïve perhaps and I hope he and his staff have learnt from it.

A young team who will have gained valuable experience to take into the 2020 European Championships, onward and upward.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It is a krying shame dat our brave heroez diddunt get to de final. Dere shud be nite hoods for all de team an Gareff shud be maid prezeedent. We shud orl wellcum dem home an frow flowers coz dat is propper repekt innit!

Dey is orl heroez!

It cumming home (wun day)

Listening to Chris Kamara [sic] this morning he made a good point. "In the first half we got forward and Croatia allowed us the space to do so, however after the break they changed their game plan, pressed us further up the field and gained more space for their midfield to exploit. We didn't appear to have a plan to counter it."

I agree and wondered why Southgate let us continue as we were instead of looking to adapt our shape and personnel as a counter. Tactically naïve perhaps and I hope he and his staff have learnt from it.

A young team who will have gained valuable experience to take into the 2020 European Championships, onward and upward.
That was pretty much England’s story of the tournament, they start well, but then fail to adapt to the other team adapting.

In all fairness it flows both ways. I was helping the wife a few Sunday's back to make the dinner, I was starting on the gravy and mearly asked where she keeps the lumps.

Well I never moved so quick in my life.=-D
:) . . . F.F.S. . . :) !!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was aware of that and the fact Croatia are a population of only 4m when I made the comment.

I’ll leave you to figure out why.
Thanks. Saying earlier about us "can" beat the big boys reminded me of a trick pub quiz question from back along. A few years after this particular World Cup had finished, the question was, who was undefeated in the 197? WC? Everyone usually went for the winner in that year, but they'd been beaten in the group stages. The answer, good auld Scotland who'd managed two draws and a win, but would have gladly suffered a defeat in exchange for two wins to see them through!