FIFA World Cup 2018

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Brazil did not exactly impress me.
If the Swiss can replace that Shaqari, you know that over weight lazy sod who played for Stoke last season they would be better.
Brazil did disapoint after that goal, they certainly know how to play act and from what I've seen so far it's any ones competition, except maybe Saudi Arabia, I'll draw the line there.
Let's hope England surprise us all and put on a goal feast tomorrow evening.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If the Swiss can replace that Shaqari, you know that over weight lazy sod who played for Stoke last season they would be better.
Brazil did disapoint after that goal, they certainly know how to play act and from what I've seen so far it's any ones competition, except maybe Saudi Arabia, I'll draw the line there.
You had better hope the goal feast is for them! :twisted:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You had better hope the goal feast is for them! :twisted:
Well it's a good job I'm not a betting man, my wallet is firmly shut when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm going 4-0 England.

Think I gave up on England football in about 2006. I think the last time we were genuinely good was back in 98, Owen and Shearer, Beckham and Anderton era.
Why do England always seem to get Tunisia in the group stages?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Think I gave up on England football in about 2006. I think the last time we were genuinely good was back in 98, Owen and Shearer, Beckham and Anderton era.
Why do England always seem to get Tunisia in the group stages?
Don't get too pessimistic before we have even kicked a ball.
Wait till this time tomorrow then reach for the bottle/tv controller, etc etc.

I reckon 3-1 to England

3-0

ABE which seems a comfortable result, I would love Iceland to win simply because I would relish the Thunderclap all the way through to the final.

Brazil look the most impressive of the big sides so far. Germany were very poor, Spain and Portugal attacked well but neither defended well at all, Argentina and Germany were both well below their best and France were reportedly (I didn't see their game) nothing special either.

Pogba's had his goal stripped by FIFA by the way - it's officially been put down as an own goal.
Well the second half went well, didn't it?

Pogba is one of those players who has a bagful of talent and when he switches it on, is capable of amazing passes and technique. Sadly he also has a mental block regarding hard work. bit like Balotelli i guess.
Ive thought that about Pogba for a long time. If he doesn't fancy it, or things aren't going his way he disappears

That header by the Swiss guy was amazing. As was the amount of stick he got for pushing the defender, yet still the goal stood, much to the palpable disdain of the ITV pundits. I reckon that if it was Neymar Jr. who did that in the Swiss area, and scored, not a peep would have been spoken against it. As he is Brazilian, and they're supposed to be special.

VAR, or whatever the hell it's called is going to ruin the game that we've loved.
If it's going to be constantly reviewed by those folks back in the bunker, rather than when the on field referee isn't 100% sure that he has got a decision right.

I liked that Waka Waka though.... It was agreat choon.

Last edited:
VAR, or whatever the hell it's called is going to ruin the game that I've loved.
If it's going to be constantly reviewed by those folks back in the bunker, rather than when the on field referee isn't 100% sure that he has got a decision right.
My block. Wrong tense, well as far as this dinosaur is concerned, it's already been ruined a long time ago. Back along, ITV lead up before the football started, Mickey Thomas (sorry sheep shaggers) lying on ground caught winking into the camera! Pundits, some of whom have played at international level, talking about "professional fouls, taking one for the team," blah, blah. Crap! Cheating!!! Dress it up anyway you like, if your opponent has beaten you, and you try to disguise this in anyway whatsoever, you are a cheat! Perhaps if this had been discouraged, clamped down on back then, it would be easier for the ref to spot these cheats now, and there would be no need for VAR!?