FIFA Poppy Ban

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Interesting that England have been fined £35,311 but Scotland have been fined £15,694 for the same 'offence' at the same match on the same night.

Yet another FIFA mystery...
England were at home so bear more of the 'blame'.

Bearing in mind that they deliberately and consciously decided on how they were going to act and went ahead with wearing the poppies..... pay the fine

For this level of football £35000 is a pittance
Just think of what the British legion could have done if instead of stirring up outrage drama they made a donation

Bearing in mind that they deliberately and consciously decided on how they were going to act and went ahead with wearing the poppies..... pay the fine

Just think of what the British legion could have done if instead of stirring up outrage drama they made a donation
Or the FAs tell FIFA that the monies fined will go to a charity of FIFA's choice instead of their corrupt coffers.

I think they (the home nation FAs) did the right thing.

They should just tell FIFA to do one. It is just a corrupt bunch of morons who dislike the UK.

afcass

Old-Salt
FIFA have form for rigorously clamping down on Political symbols masquerading as charities. Here's an example:
View attachment 265775
You should have seen what happened to the Spanish FA and Barcelona FC when they had the cheek to display the UNICEF symbol on their shirts for a whole season. UNICEF were created as an arm of the UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY.........they got fined no rupees!
Got to say that Thierry looks a bit stressed as Lionel holds him by the back of the shirt in that position. The guy directly behind him displays a casual languor.
The rules for international fixtures under FIFA are different from club fixtures under UEFA, which are different from each countries own FA's.

I may be eating my words on the previous attempts to keep going for outrage but not giving time to negotiate a full change etc

FIFA have proposed a solution under which poppies could be worn, there does remain some scope for outrage if an agreement has not been made for a specific event ..... but even the Germans look happy to play England wearing poppies
Fifa to lift ban on displaying poppies after talks with UK football associations

..... from the footnote it looks like the fines from last time have not been paid and may not need to be paid.

llech

LE
Next outrage, the poor ****** that doesn't want to wear it as his G/Grandad was on the other side!

Already covered by some paddy attention seeker

"We are coming up to Remembrance Day and I won't wear a poppy on my shirt when those games come around," he confirmed.

"People say that by not wearing a poppy, I'm being disrespectful but they don't ask why it is that I choose not to wear it.

"If the poppy was simply about World War One and Two victims alone, I would wear it without a problem.

"I'd wear it every day of the year if that was the thing, but it doesn't, it stands for all the conflicts that Britain has been
involved in.

"Because of the history of where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that.

"I have no issue with people that do wear the poppy, I absolutely respect their right to do that but I would hope that people respect my right to have a different opinion on it too."

Although Albion boss Tony Pulis doesn't share McClean's stance, he respects his right to uphold it

He’s got a point, and if the outrage press don’t make a thing if it then he can just happily not wear a poppy and tell people why if they must ask

I don’t have to like his politics, I can understand and respect his reasons, I’ll wear a poppy for my reasons and not care about people who don’t

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"We are coming up to Remembrance Day and I won't wear a poppy on my shirt when those games come around," he confirmed.

"People say that by not wearing a poppy, I'm being disrespectful but they don't ask why it is that I choose not to wear it.

"If the poppy was simply about World War One and Two victims alone, I would wear it without a problem.

"I'd wear it every day of the year if that was the thing, but it doesn't, it stands for all the conflicts that Britain has been
involved in.

"Because of the history of where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that.

"I have no issue with people that do wear the poppy, I absolutely respect their right to do that but I would hope that people respect my right to have a different opinion on it too."

Although Albion boss Tony Pulis doesn't share McClean's stance, he respects his right to uphold it

He’s got a point, and if the outrage press don’t make a thing if it then he can just happily not wear a poppy and tell people why if they must ask

I don’t have to like his politics, I can understand and respect his reasons, I’ll wear a poppy for my reasons and not care about people who don’t
Absolutely, millions of French, Germans, Italians etc won't wear a poppy, do we despise them for it?.......wait a minute, something got lost in translation. I think that should read We do despise them!

involved in.

All seems perfectly reasonable. Nothing to see here, move along please.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs

BBC defending him

McClean is from Londonderry, where British soldiers shot civilian protestors during Bloody Sunday in 1972.

FFS he was born in 1989. So at junior school when the GFA was signed

Last edited:

Latest Threads