FIFA Poppy Ban

Someone will get equally outraged next year, start a thread and (if he's still alive) @jarrod248 will helpfully suggest searching for this very thread.
put it to bed...poppy outrage season is over.

Would this probably media hyped storm in a tea cup not be stopped if a nice person from the RBL had a friendly chat with a FIFA big wig?
Because the very nice person from the RBL would probably have his wallet nicked and would never feel clean again having soiled himself by meeting these people.

lecky

War Hero
Wasn't it the British Journo, Andrew Jennings who despite being banned by FIFA from attending press conferences, set about finding and unveiling FIFA corruption? It took him 15 years, before the lid was lifted on Corrupt FIFA officials, big time recently.... largely in the British Press, before the USA took legal action?
I suspect our Home Nations are marked out for special attention by FIFA. particularly as Wales and N.Ireland have been ear marked for the same treatment, because the symbol was worn on the terraces. FIFA have looked long and hard to get that one! Whatever next, if I wear a Shirt and Trousers not manufactured by a FIFA approved sponsor, whilst stood on the terraces, will the club I am watching get fined? ( If so, I'm off to put Bristol City out of business.)
Too puerile a response to contemplate from a modern forward thinking European Based organisation? Juncker has recent form.
Why ban and independent journalist (relying on donations to fund himself) from ever entering a Football building for a press conference, because he criticises you? ( Again parallels can be drawn with EU Pension rules)
The Argentinians got a bill from FIFA for £20K for this little stunt before playing England:
malvinas.png
.I'll wait and see what bill we get from FIFA by comparison, for the "crime" of displaying the commemorative symbol and a charity logo, on the international day of commemoration for war dead, but I'm betting the motivation for this is revenge, continental style.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wasn't it the British Journo, Andrew Jennings who despite being banned by FIFA from attending press conferences, set about finding and unveiling FIFA corruption? It took him 15 years, before the lid was lifted on Corrupt FIFA officials, big time recently.... largely in the British Press, before the USA took legal action?
I suspect our Home Nations are marked out for special attention by FIFA. particularly as Wales and N.Ireland have been ear marked for the same treatment, because the symbol was worn on the terraces. FIFA have looked long and hard to get that one! Whatever next, if I wear a Shirt and Trousers not manufactured by a FIFA approved sponsor, whilst stood on the terraces, will the club I am watching get fined? ( If so, I'm off to put Bristol City out of business.)
Too puerile a response to contemplate from a modern forward thinking European Based organisation? Juncker has recent form.
Why ban and independent journalist (relying on donations to fund himself) from ever entering a Football building for a press conference, because he criticises you? ( Again parallels can be drawn with EU Pension rules)
The Argentinians got a bill from FIFA for £20K for this little stunt before playing England:
View attachment 265754
.I'll wait and see what bill we get from FIFA by comparison, for the "crime" of displaying the commemorative symbol and a charity logo, on the international day of commemoration for war dead, but I'm betting the motivation for this is revenge, continental style.
Yep, been thinking that way myself. They are probably hoping the various FAs fight back so they can be banned, then only allowed back in if they form a unified FA covering all four countries.

I always find it a shame throwing away this years poppy after Remembrance Day.

This years mine are going in envelopes and being posted to FIFA, Strasse 20, PO Box 8044, Zurich, Switzerland

Having the Prime Minister gobbing off about it in the House of Commons probably wouldn't have helped to convince them it wasn't
Couldn't help herself...... Popular to attack FIFA for all it's other faults and she gets a feather in her cap from most of the Country due to the poppy involement.

If everyone had kept stum and just gone and and done it with no ceremony or publicity then I doubt FIFA would now be interested or indeed pursued it.

It has now descended into a my dick is bigger than your dick exercise.

lecky

War Hero
FIFA have form for rigorously clamping down on Political symbols masquerading as charities. Here's an example:
FC Barcelona Players New.jpg

You should have seen what happened to the Spanish FA and Barcelona FC when they had the cheek to display the UNICEF symbol on their shirts for a whole season. UNICEF were created as an arm of the UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY.........they got fined no rupees!
Got to say that Thierry looks a bit stressed as Lionel holds him by the back of the shirt in that position. The guy directly behind him displays a casual languor.

FIFA have form for rigorously clamping down on Political symbols masquerading as charities. Here's an example:
View attachment 265775
You should have seen what happened to the Spanish FA and Barcelona FC when they had the cheek to display the UNICEF symbol on their shirts for a whole season. UNICEF were created as an arm of the UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY.........they got fined no rupees!
Got to say that Thierry looks a bit stressed as Lionel holds him by the back of the shirt in that position. The guy directly behind him displays a casual languor.
All very nice but what power do FIFA have with a club team in a domestic Spanish League?
UEFA or Whomever runs the Champions league perhaps.

lecky

War Hero
All very nice but what power do FIFA have with a club team in a domestic Spanish League?
UEFA or Whomever runs the Champions league perhaps.
Indeed, but FIFA set themselves up as the World Governing body of Football and create all it's rules. Not just for International Level Football. The National Associations are its members and therefore by extension, clubs in each Association fall under their umbrella. So I guess if they would care to condescend to club level, they could do on behalf of their rules for the whole game.
This from their website:
The Laws of the Game provide a common, simple language to support the unique, unifying power of football. FIFA’s open and democratic structure gives the global game its foundation it needs to grow and thrive. We work as part of the International Football Association Board to define and amend the Laws of the Game on behalf of the global football community.

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
Interesting that England have been fined £35,311 but Scotland have been fined £15,694 for the same 'offence' at the same match on the same night.

Yet another FIFA mystery...

Latest Threads