FIFA Poppy Ban

Or it could be that the RFU are not as anally retentive as FIFA.
Do you really care if England (football) wear a poppy? It's happened twice in the entire history of Remembrance/Poppies. We managed to do without it for over 90 years. Why is it suddenly so important?

MARTOK

War Hero
Do you really care if England (football) wear a poppy? It's happened twice in the entire history of Remembrance/Poppies. We managed to do without it for over 90 years. Why is it suddenly so important?
I don’t care if anyone wears a poppy or not, I care about freedom of choice not dictatorship.

Or it could be that the RFU are not as anally retentive as FIFA.
Maybe, so whats your point? That different international sporting organisations have different rules?

I don’t care if anyone wears a poppy or not, I care about freedom of choice not dictatorship.
I'm sure you would be just as happy if some Muslim countries started wearing armbands with wahhabi symbols during international football matches.

MARTOK

War Hero
You realise that enforcing rules is actually the job of a sport governing body?

Yes, but the point is that different sport governing bodies have different views regarding matters outside of the rules of their particular sport.

Shouldn’t there be standard regulations regarding matters that don’t affect play?

What would FIFA do if all the teams wore a poppy, ban them all?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes, but the point is that different sport governing bodies have different views regarding matters outside of the rules of their particular sport.

Shouldn’t there be standard regulations regarding matters that don’t affect play?
That it is spectacularly dim question. The thousands of sports in the world should codify all eventualities that may affect every single one of them?

MARTOK

War Hero
That it is spectacularly dim question. The thousands of sports in the world should codify all eventualities that may affect every single one of them?
How would you standardise the kit/uniform regulations of football, ice hockey and water polo?

Upon reflection you are both correct. My post was poorly worded, what I meant was that regulations regarding political bias, religious symbolism or support for an organisation outside of your particular discipline should be standardised.

And by freedom of choice I now choose to pour myself a large whiskey and watch the RBL Festival of remembrance. Goodnight.

A lot of other nations dont use/care about the Poppy. If they let the UK teams do it, they (all the other countries) will be asking for their own emblems.
Well the German national team - as if they were reinvading Poland got away with wearing a bloody great national flag emblazened across the front of their tops for years.

TamH70

MIA
Stuff FIFA right up its corrupt arse. Why do we need those pendejos? I mean, really, why? The organization's been shown to be corrupt at its highest level for decades so why do we still put up with their shit? And don't say "Because of the World Cup, stupid", as no home nation's won the since '66, and we're pretty much never going to see another British team win it til at least the heat death of the universe. And even then I'd put money on England never getting past the Semi-Final or Scotland actually qualifying for it in the first place.

If it was some logo-bedecked salesman punting McDonald's burgers and fries at the entrance or in the tunnel those a-holes wouldn't have had a problem.

Stuff FIFA right up its corrupt arse. Why do we need those pendejos? I mean, really, why? The organization's been shown to be corrupt at its highest level for decades so why do we still put up with their shit? And don't say "Because of the World Cup, stupid", as no home nation's won the since '66, and we're pretty much never going to see another British team win it til at least the heat death of the universe. And even then I'd put money on England never getting past the Semi-Final or Scotland actually qualifying for it in the first place.

If it was some logo-bedecked salesman punting McDonald's burgers and fries at the entrance or in the tunnel those a-holes wouldn't have had a problem.
Do you feel better now?

TamH70

MIA
Yes. Thanks for asking. And how are you getting on this fine evening?

look..the "remembering" season has now ended. You are gonna have to wait til next year now to raise N1 outrage to 120%

We tend to need them because they organise and regulate international football matches, something that the masses like to watch,

These rules are a disgrace.

If only the English, Scottish, Welsh and NI Football Associations made up fully half of the panel responsible for making and changing FIFA rules...

I agree with FIFA having rules that should be followed, but why the juddering **** do they think that the poppy is a political symbol?

It's not pro war, it's not anti war, it's not left or right. Has some group used it as a political symbol in the past?

Would this probably media hyped storm in a tea cup not be stopped if a nice person from the RBL had a friendly chat with a FIFA big wig?

Latest Threads