fierce critic of the Kremlins actions found dead.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. " I wonder if she was paid a visit by the Federal'naya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti !!"

Anna Politkovskaya, a prominent Russian journalist known as a fierce critic of the Kremlin's actions in Chechnya, has been found dead in Moscow.

She was found shot dead in a lift in a block of flats in the capital, the Interfax news agency said.

A pistol and four bullets were found near her body, it added, quoting unnamed police sources.

She fell seriously ill with food poisoning in 2004 which some believed to be an attempt on her life.

Ms Politkovskaya, who worked for the newspaper Novaya Gazeta, was known for exposing rights abuses by Russian troops in Chechnya.

She also acted as a negotiator with the Chechen rebels who held a siege in a Moscow theatre in 2002.

2. I wonder if kgb-resident was responsible!

4. A very poor result of the Russian military back in the Soviet Union people were just 'disappeared', much more efficient.

5. Mad_Moriarty & razorman

I take it you are not aware that Anna Politkovskaya and Sergy were freinds?

6. Really?, If so I sincerley apologise, I have removed my comments.

7. You little tinker Jihad, Im off to the Chinese Embassy in Portland Place to send one of those execution buses around to you!!. :D

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

God rest her - Slavu Bogu

Shamefully Sergei , it occurred to me to wonder how many other of her former close colleagues are saying the very same thing....

By an odd coincidence I am re-reading Fitzroy Maclean's Eastern Approaches. ISBN 0-14-013271-6

He was present as a young diplomat in Moscow in the late 1930's and witnessed first hand the chill wind of Stalin's purges:

'Fear hung over the city like a mist,seeping in everywhere. everyone lived in terror of everyone else . Agents of the NKVD were everywhere. Every day one could read in the papers commendations of soldiers who had denounced their officers, children who had 'unmasked' their fathers . No one could be trusted. No one was safe. '

...bit like Burma then....

Le Chevre

9. I'm very dissappointed in you Sergey.

Surely you could have found some article blaming this on the CIA by now!?!?!?!

10. Andy!

I think that the murder was ordered by powerfull ruler of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov. Note, that the day of the killing 7 October is Putin's birthday. So it could be a 'birthday present' (in cruel oriental style).

Probably a professional killer was hired (likely ethnically Russian) and he very likely has been killed himself just after the murder. So chances to find real organisers are minimal.

In fact Both Washington administaration and Putin's regime were pleased to have such a journalist. Though for different reasons.

Washington had a possibility to say that Abu-Graib was not something special and beatings of prisoners took place in Chechnya.

Putin's regime had an excellent possibilty to demonstrate a 'freedom of press'. Really articles written by mrs.Politkovskaya were absolutely harmless.

Let's look at the metioned article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/31/AR2006033101584.html

Such a terrible fairy-tale. Note, that the article had been published 1 April 2006 but a half year before it (October 4, 2005)

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/10/04/001-PR.html

So mrs.Politkovskaya was well aware that the students are free writing her fairy tales about 'new GULAG'.

It is possible to publish such an article in Washington Post but serious Russian newspapers would not publish it because it is factually incorrect.

Also, note that if mrs.Politkovskaya used such an 'example' to prove her point about massive oppressions then she simply hadn't other examples.

11. If you want a memoir on the beginning of Soviet Russia try reading
    http://www.questia.com/library/book/stormy-passage-a-personal-history-through-two-russian-revolutions-to-democracy-and-freedom-1905-1960-by-w-s-woytinsky.jsp

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the steer NEO - but forgive me if I find Maclean's book more to my taste ....his time as a junior diplomat in 30s Russia was followed by service with the fledgling SAS in the Western Desert in WW2.

He was then parachuted into Yugoslavia to link up with Tito's partisans and served alongside them until 1945.

Bit of a lad on the quiet - always nice to see an Old Etonian overcome the disadvantages of his upbringing...:p

Le Chevre