Field repair of tents and shelters - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, May 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the thread title, really. I've been doing a bit of research into the tents and shelters we use in the field and one of the requirements is that they are to be repairable in the field.

I was wondering whether anyone has actually done this or know of it being undertaken? I can see why this might be a requirement, but not as high as it is and had never heard of it being carried out.

2. I've seen plenty of Black Nasty used to cover tears in 9x9s and 18x24s. I take it you mean something more substantial and long lasting?

3. all we did was use sniper tape or if it was really bad (and there was no chance of an exchange) a piece of welding rod would be sharpened, the opposite end bent round to form a alarmingly large needle and green string used as thread.

4. For quality stiching repairs in the field you should check out the gadget called a Speedy Sticher Sewing Awl, plently can be found on Ebay. Well worth having one for your own use anyway, lasts for years. Although it would be better it they were available on issue.

Suppose I had better give a link to a sample for those to lazy to search: Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl | eBay

5. Can't be any worse than the 'repair' carried out by base workshops ( or whatever it was called back in the 80's), to the penthouse on my 436. Velcro was buggered, but rather than stitch fresh stuff over the top of the old, they cut the whole lot off, making each edge about 3" smaller than the original dimensions. This meant the damn thing was 6" too narrow for the frame, which was nice when setting up at 3am in late autumn. So I hope things are better now

6. Just black nasty or green tape it, then fix properly when you get home!

7. Invisible mending of invisible bivvy,no probs.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ages ago 2 Sig Regt sent one of its Cpls on a unit equipment repair course or something... he was trained as a heavyduty stitch and was able to repair the tents properly.

Ask on the signals forum if anyone was there at the time, who could tell you the exact course he went on.

I'd imagine it would be in the loggy side of courses.

Field repair has always been bodging, as far as I know... black nasty, green string for the canvass. in the main I've only seen small tears. Green string for the replacing of the loops that join the segments.

bent poles straighten by bending back, and angles fixed by drilling and screwing.

That's all the old stuff though. Don't know what you'd do with drash et al, Suppose it's back to black nasty and green string!!!

9. Drash comes with its own repair kit, it has patches and glue and tubues to splint the broken poles etc, may be some spare keepers and hubs in there I can't remember.

10. Quote chocolate_frog;

Ages ago 2 Sig Regt sent one of its Cpls on a unit equipment repair course or something... he was trained as a heavyduty stitch and was able to repair the tents properly.

Ask on the signals forum if anyone was there at the time, who could tell you the exact course he went on.

I'd imagine it would be in the loggy side of courses

The course (Equipment Repair Course) is held at Deepcut and the next one is in a weeks time. Last I heard they were looking for people to fill some spaces.

Q.