Field rank Peaks - Any recomended tailors.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BuggerAll, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Anyone out there able to recommend a tailor to do a Field Rank Peak.

The best value for money I've found so far is Herbert Johnson who will do the job for £70 and £10 p and p.

What with the number of drinks needing buying, rank slides, crowns for SD and mess kit.... Is it tax deductible?
  2. Congratulations to you BA
    I'm just about to go through this myself - its looking a very expensive business!
  3. BuggerAll

Thanks, Mrs BA and I, doubly expensive.
  4. If you have a standard blues cap (as opposed to a regimental peculiar) try the REME officer's shop for a second hand one. I bought a field officer's cap, sold my original and made a profit (but I am very mean).
  5. BuggerAll

Unfortunately not, but it might be an idea for her to try our officer's shop, thanks.
  6. Just spotted that we got our possessive plural apostrophes wrong - heads down for incoming!
  7. BuggerAll

Mmmm, I looked it up as I admit to being confused.

It should be Officers' shop. Which makes me wonder, I don't think I've ever seen Officers' Mess.
  8. msr

msr LE

I do hope you have never seen anything else...

P.S. Grammar Nazism now self-policing. Winner ! :)
  9. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Stan the Tailor in Bulford - did it for whatever the allowance is.
  10. BuggerAll

Is there an allowance?
  11. BuggerAll,

The allowance is, from what I remember, £55.

I got my No1 Dress Hat repeaked by Herbert Johnson. They did an excellent job and the hat was back with me in less than a week.

You might also want to look at:

12. We all receive a uniform upkeep allowance that covers the cost of such things (at least until FAD comes in).

As for SD and No1./ Patrol Dress crowns, the QM's department can lay their hands on them legally through the system for you; and I have this from a recent QM. Pips were still quite hard to come by as there was a limit to the number the Regt could order each month. Do not take no for an answer. If you run into problems PM me and I'll speak to the relevant folk.

As for the cost? As soon as you're expected to wear such accoutrements, you'll be in receipt of the additional pay or acting pay (the same thing less for pension entitlement), which is not insignificant with two majors in the household! So no sympathy on that front.

Edited TWICE for Bratty fingered typing!
  13. BuggerAll

Unfortunately one Regular and one TA and due to recent assignment associated moves the TA one is currently idle, sitting at home posting on Arrse.

We do have a bucket load of pips - can we put them back into the system?
  14. Bath or Garter Stars man - old fashioned payphones, Gladys Knight & oranges have pips, Officers do not!
  15. BuggerAll

Captain Plume gets the award for 'pedant of the day'. Post your address and I'll send you 3 shiny 'pips'. :soldier: