Field rank Peaks - Any recomended tailors.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone out there able to recommend a tailor to do a Field Rank Peak.

The best value for money I've found so far is Herbert Johnson who will do the job for £70 and £10 p and p.

What with the number of drinks needing buying, rank slides, crowns for SD and mess kit.... Is it tax deductible?

F

fozzy

BuggerAll said:

The best value for money I've found so far is Herbert Johnson who will do the job for £70 and £10 p and p.

What with the number of drinks needing buying, rank slides, crowns for SD and mess kit.... Is it tax deductible?
Congratulations to you BA
I'm just about to go through this myself - its looking a very expensive business!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
fozzy said:
BuggerAll said:

Congratulations to you BA
I'm just about to go through this myself - its looking a very expensive business!
Thanks, Mrs BA and I, doubly expensive.

If you have a standard blues cap (as opposed to a regimental peculiar) try the REME officer's shop for a second hand one. I bought a field officer's cap, sold my original and made a profit (but I am very mean).

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BTDT said:
If you have a standard blues cap (as opposed to a regimental peculiar) try the REME officer's shop for a second hand one. I bought a field officer's cap, sold my original and made a profit (but I am very mean).
Unfortunately not, but it might be an idea for her to try our officer's shop, thanks.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BTDT said:
Just spotted that we got our possessive plural apostrophes wrong - heads down for incoming!
Mmmm, I looked it up as I admit to being confused.

It should be Officers' shop. Which makes me wonder, I don't think I've ever seen Officers' Mess.

BuggerAll said:
BTDT said:
Just spotted that we got our possessive plural apostrophes wrong - heads down for incoming!
Mmmm, I looked it up as I admit to being confused.

It should be Officers' shop. Which makes me wonder, I don't think I've ever seen Officers' Mess.
I do hope you have never seen anything else...

msr

P.S. Grammar Nazism now self-policing. Winner ! :)

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Stan the Tailor in Bulford - did it for whatever the allowance is.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Captain_Crusty said:
Stan the Tailor in Bulford - did it for whatever the allowance is.
Is there an allowance?

We all receive a uniform upkeep allowance that covers the cost of such things (at least until FAD comes in).

As for SD and No1./ Patrol Dress crowns, the QM's department can lay their hands on them legally through the system for you; and I have this from a recent QM. Pips were still quite hard to come by as there was a limit to the number the Regt could order each month. Do not take no for an answer. If you run into problems PM me and I'll speak to the relevant folk.

As for the cost? As soon as you're expected to wear such accoutrements, you'll be in receipt of the additional pay or acting pay (the same thing less for pension entitlement), which is not insignificant with two majors in the household! So no sympathy on that front.

Edited TWICE for Bratty fingered typing!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back_at_RD said:
We all receive a uniform upkeep allowance that covers the cost of such things (at least until FAD comes in).

As for SD and No1./ Patrol Dress crowns, the QM's department can lay their hands on them legally through the system for you; and I have this from a recent QM. Pips were still quite hard to come by as there was a limit to the number the Regt could order each month. Do not take no for an answer. If you run into problems PM me and I'll speak to the relevant folk.

As for the cost? As soon as you're expected to wear such accoutrements, you'll be in receipt of the additional pay or acting pay (the same thing less for pension entitlement), which is not insignificant with two majors in the household! So no sympathy on that front.

Edited TWICE for Bratty fingered typing!
Unfortunately one Regular and one TA and due to recent assignment associated moves the TA one is currently idle, sitting at home posting on Arrse.

We do have a bucket load of pips - can we put them back into the system?

Bath or Garter Stars man - old fashioned payphones, Gladys Knight & oranges have pips, Officers do not!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
CaptainPlume said:
Bath or Garter Stars man - old fashioned payphones, Gladys Knight & oranges have pips, Officers do not!
Captain Plume gets the award for 'pedant of the day'. Post your address and I'll send you 3 shiny 'pips'. :soldier:

BuggerAll said:
CaptainPlume said:
Captain Plume gets the award for 'pedant of the day'. Post your address and I'll send you 3 shiny 'pips'. :soldier:
Many thanks, but as I'm now a stinking civvie I wouldn't be able to use them. A pity as I had sufficient rank badges to go up to Brigadier...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
CaptainPlume said:
BuggerAll said:
CaptainPlume said:
Many thanks, but as I'm now a stinking civvie I wouldn't be able to use them. A pity as I had sufficient rank badges to go up to Brigadier...
So do we - they won't be needed either.

The Senior Instructor at DLSS* Tailoring and Equipment Repair section may or may not do hat peaks for something like a tenner. He may or may not also mount medals at a few pounds each.

The ratio of mays versus may nots relates to who's asking and whether the chief instructor is watching at the time.

Look him up in the phone book, its under the All Arms Division.

*Defence Logisitcs & Supply School, Deepcut. Formerly known as the School of Log.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wonders will never cease. I got a £55 promotion grant. I wonder how these things are worked out. Its not enough to pay for a Field Rank Peak. In fact it doesn't cover the cost of 3 pairs of slides and a pair of metal crowns. I'm not whinging I wasn't expecting anything but just wondering how its calculated.