Field Punishment No. 1

Still think I prefer it to 200 lashes which usually killed you anyway!

In fact I think you may just have identified where the fall in standards started ~ well done Sir!

Quite frankly I would have preferred being tied to a post for a few hours and doing **** all than some of the delightful activities I endured at the hands of the guardroom staff.

Field Punishment No 1 or 2 weeks RoP's 1980's style?

I'll take FP No 1 ta very much.

car_key,

Thanks to the link for that site, have just subscribed to the newsletter.

P

Prefect

By the looks of him Crozier had their rations while they were tied up. A nasty piece of work from those accounts.

Quite frankly I would have preferred being tied to a post for a few hours and doing **** all than some of the delightful activities I endured at the hands of the guardroom staff.

Field Punishment No 1 or 2 weeks RoP's 1980's style?

I'll take FP No 1 ta very much.
Agreed, compared to knees to the chest on a pudding mat, kneeling gun drill with heavy weights, running round with jerry cans or the best one I saw which was fully knock a 6ft angle iron picket into the ground with a sledge hammer and then dig it up in full kit - FP No1 looks like a piece of piss !!

Agreed, compared to knees to the chest on a pudding mat, kneeling gun drill with heavy weights, running round with jerry cans or the best one I saw which was fully knock a 6ft angle iron picket into the ground with a sledge hammer and then dig it up in full kit - FP No1 looks like a piece of piss !!
Ooh nasty. Makes my two weeks jankers for getting caught sniffing a female officer's bike saddle seem quite tame.

Considering that's what happened to Nigs in the Gun Park, it's a piece of piss compared to hand bumpering the ceiling with a double, headed bumper!

Have none of yous read any books or seen any films from that period such as Zulu , where Pvt Hooke was supposedly given field punishment or any of the other multitude of film where field punishment has been shown. There's even a field punishment where one is tied to a wagon wheel(not the every shrinking chocy biscuit) for any number of days. They should think themselves lucky they wint in the navy, otherwise they'd have to endure keel hauling, which is rather more unpleasant that being tied to a pole.
FP no2 is where yer get shackled both hands and feet and expected to march along side the other troops. Both FP1 and FP2 entailed hardf larbour and lose of pay

IIRC the early part of the mutiny was caused by Aussies being given FP No1 and their ANZAC mates getting a little pissed off by it.
There was history there. When 5 Bn, AIF, was formed in 1914 they set up camp in a field just outside Melbourne. Two defaulters (having volunteered just five days earlier) were given FP No 1. Since there was no immovable object they were pegged out on the ground in front of the Guard Tent. The rest of the volunteers refused to soldier until they were released. Only FP No 2 was given thereafter in that Bn - shackled but not to an immovable object.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
My mrs charges £200 ph for a similar version of fp1.
On a serious note i have read a few accounts about it and in particular to the underage lads that joined and cracked under pressure which was particulary sad and revolting. Quite a few were shot as cowards.

Sent by Crapatalk. Sitting on my bog having a dump.

FP no2 is where yer get shackled both hands and feet and expected to march along side the other troops. Both FP1 and FP2 entailed hardf larbour and lose of pay
So did being banged up in the guardroom, with all the extra treats that the RP staff thoughtfully provided.

If my grandad was still alive I would call him a puff.

Still think I prefer it to 200 lashes which usually killed you anyway!

In fact I think you may just have identified where the fall in standards started ~ well done Sir!
I was astounded to find that flogging was still carried out in WW2 ... Flogging was abolished by an Act of Parliament in 1881 however in ” Tommy Atkins The Story of the English Soldier “ the author relates that during WW2 two soldiers of the Yorks and Lancs Regiment were flogged after having fallen asleep whilst on sentry duty behind Japanese lines . In 1946 the Major who initiated the punishment was sent for Court Martial but when a Brigadier testified that flogging was inflicted for severe offences in the Burma Command he was acquitted .