Field Pack?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BuggerAll, Aug 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I saw an MTP man bag affair the other day which was marked up as a 'field pack'. It looked like it respirator case on steroids.

It had the same sort of elastic retainers inside of spare canisters but it also had zipped expansion bellows and molle straps, padded sides and so on.

Is it a resi case or is it supposed to be multi use? Calling it a field pack suggests the latter.

2. Might be an ammunition grab bag? Was it issued or something you'd seen on-line?

3. It's the new case for the GSR.

4. BuggerAll

Its not the issue manbag/ammo bag thingy, I've been issued one of those.

It was in a junk shop so I had a look. It says 'FIELD PACK' in big bold letters inside the front cover. Its got a couple of molle pouches strapped to either side - maybe they are not meant to be there but they're not like any of the pouches that come with OSPREY.

It seems to be rather over engineered with lots of padding and zipped expansion bellows etc. I suppose it could be for some piece of comms kit or other techno stuff.

5. BuggerAll

Cheers.

In that case I'll probably get one in due course. No doubt it'll all be explained but any idea on what the zips are for and should the pouches be on the side? Are they for DKP etc?

6. Field pack 8465-99-434-6734 = GSR pouch. I have my gloves under the elastics and have detector paper and DKP in the side pouches. The zip allows easier access to the GSR. Sent from Dii so it will be fucked up.

7. Side pouch 1: 2x "War Canisters"
    Side Pouch 2: Fight to survive handbook, cleaning cloth and bottle clip
    Main pouch: GSR, GSR holder, dog tags, combo pens, anything else you care to cram in.

The zips on the front are just to make it easer to get the gsr in and out when undone and provide a snug fit when done up. I posted pictures on here when I was originally issued mine:
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.arrse.co.uk/military-clothing-boots/174590-army-gsr-haversack-mtp-field-pack.html&sa=U&ei=kPAoUJX6M4rIhAf_8YDIDQ&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGw08u6SvN6_b_OmMRO7TbuB6j7sg

8. BuggerAll

Thanks NM.

That only leaves me with the one Q. Why's it called a FIELD PACK? Not very important to know but you would ahve thought that 'pouch GSR' would have been more descriptive.

9. You expect the MoD to come up with a sensible name for something? Come on.... :)

If it comes with a strap, it's "man portable".

If it came with ketchup, it would be "edible".

10. Erm- nice shirt you're wearing...what? You call that a "Lightweight Jacket"??

11. BuggerAll

If I had a mufti item of clothing of similar material and cut intended as outerwear I'd call it a jacket.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to get given loads of ex trial kit for holding comms ancils for different nations! A mate worked in the warehouse that stored the gear for the contractor and regularly whole pallets would be written off!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk