Field Observer in 29th

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by 2_Canadian_Beers, May 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I have made my choice and that is to head to 29th thanks for the advice fellas greatly needed and apreciated. Hopefully I can help someone down the line like you guys have. But the questions are not yet done from yours truly. Just wondering as a field observer in the 29th are they jump qualified also? Does that come with the job description, I know in 148 they are just wondering for the rest of the squad.

Cheers 2CB

2. In a word, NO

But its not unusual for lads from 29 to get on a jumps course, its more right place, right time or knw the right person rather than an operational requirement.

Advice for basic training though

1. DO NOT SHOUT ABOUT YOUR CHOICE OF REGT, yes mention it in interviews etc but don't rabbit on to all and sundry about going commando, this will pi55 off your oppo's and will get your DS backs up, especially if there is a 29 lad on staff, get on his wrong side and you will fail before you even arrive

2. Say to yourself now "I m going to 29" and don't let ANYONE talk you out of it, even if they say you are not fit enough, DS have a manning structure and if there are too many wanting to go 29 or 7th they will weed many out, 50% of my intake intended to go to one or the other (including me) and over the weeks we were "talked out" f it, finally only 2 lads from my intake went there, one to each regt, both passed BTW.

3. Advice for the cdo course, piece of advice once passed to me from that lot that for some odd reason no-body will mention there name in fear of being modded, about passing courses

"If you believe you can fail, you will"

4. Have fun, and if it doesn't work out, then there is no shame in trying

4. Hardly right time right place unless your a clerk in the training wing!!, pretty sure thats its policy at 29 that all there tac parties are para trained, and any BCR types from CPs and Guns that are sigs trained and are in the right place may get a place on BPC its all down to places/cash and the crabs!!

Think yourself lucky they use to do P coy as well as the AACC at 148!

Good luck 2CB

5. Harry thanks for the compliments of good luck, though there is still a little left for heading into basic. It takes a little longer being a good ol' common wealth citzen. Curious as I do not know all the lingo yet, translate BCR for me? :? and CP still learning the codes thanks very much.

Cheers 2CB

ANd if I have the pleasure of having your company for evening, I be will be buying the first 2 beers you can count on it.

6. 2CB

BCR = Battle Casualty Replacement
    CP - Command Post
    BPC - Basic Para Course

Dismounted OPs are the dogs nads - best job in the Army, wish I could do it again. (Hell on the knees though!)

QFEGD

7. Very wise words from wellyhead there, especially getting the right attitude about the course.

i'd forget about jumps for the moment, you've got a long road ahead of you, concentrate on basic first, then if that goes ok the AACC. Keep where you want to be at the end in mind but focus on the hurdle in front of you.

Another piece of advice about the AACC itself. Try not to think too hard, by that i mean, don't think about the next week or test week, just try (at least as much as you can) to take every day as it comes. I and others also found it a good thing to make a point of getting out of Lympstone at every opportunity. I don't know what the score is down there now, it's 14 years since i did it, but our SOP at the end of the day's activities, assuming we were in camp, was to jump in one of the lads cars and thin out to Exmouth or Topsham to do our dhobi and have a pint. It really used to help re-charge our batteries.

BTW, drop the 'th' it's just 29.

8. I don't know what the score is down there now, it's 14 years since i did it, but our SOP at the end of the day's activities, assuming we were in camp, was to jump in one of the lads cars and thin out to Exmouth or Topsham to do our dhobi and have a pint. It really used to help re-charge our batteries.

The pints sounds like a good idea to wind down and fill the energy back, I will hopefully be able to fill you in when I get to that stage.
    My polite Canadian attitude adds the 'th' to the numbers, guess it is a Canadian thing. (lol)

Cheers 2CN