field grey Wermacht uniforms

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by two_of_seven, Sep 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am curious when did the germans stop wearing the WW2 era uniforms
    as in the field grey? Camoflage was coming into fashion during WW2 , but did they keep the grey ones as a No2 dress?
  2. When they formed the Bundeswehr in 1957, they changed to the grey jacket and black trousers that they have today
  3. *cough* 1955 *cough*
    The grey/black are No2's specifically designed so as not to resemble the wehrmacht uniforms. As to field uniforms, the early BW looked distincly American for some reason.
    Now, the NVA is a different story.
  4. your right it was formed in 1955, but did not realy get going until 57 , as conscription did not start until late in 56, and giving the time to train it was not realy operational until 57. Which is not bad considering the length of time it has taken to train Iraq and Afghan forces
  5. Got any pics for those not in the know to compare and contrast please,I did google "Bundeswehr uniforms" but cant see the wood for the trees if you know what I mean ?

6. Oh, certainly.
    Bundeswehr today:

in 1955

That would be the closest to the old one.
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Ah but did the East Germans not continue to wear a very Nazi-looking Feldgrau well into the 80s at least if memory serves?
  8. Clue's in the NVA bit. :)
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Aah. I read "NVA," thought "North Vietnamese Army" followed immediately by "and this has exactly what to do with the price of fish and the Bundeswehr?"

I stand corrected in my surgical boots. Silly me. Just call me Dick for short.
  10. Thanks for the Pic's (more camp than a row of tents ) and I to only know NVA as "North Vietnamese Army"

please enlighten me ?

yours (in the dark about allthings Germanic)

11. Nationale Volks Armee = National People's Army of the German Democratic Republic
  12. From the pics I can now see where the saying comes from.............
    "Prost,Prost the Bundespost,
    We're all queer in the Bundeswehr." :D
  13. I am in the pub now but I have some photographs of East German troops taken at a parade in Treptow Park in East Berlin in the 70s, I will post them tomorrow
  14. Just don't mention the war...
  15. It's actually "Nationale Volksarmee". See here:

Sorry, couldn't resist it. :D