Field camera

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bisley_Bob, Mar 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm after a digital camera, (just for still photos, although if it can take videos thats a bonus) which will hopefully survive my smock pocket when i'm out and about on the various moist training areas we have around here. Does anyone know of any good cameras that are sturdy, not too chunky, able to survive in the moist and won't break the bank?

2. I use a Panasonic DMC-FX100. Small and reasonably tough. Takes video as well as high quality still. Nice lens - too many features but does well on auto.

About £180 - but the Panasonic boxed versions don't include an SD card as standard.

Try this one Rob cheap as ,so wont really matter if it gets trashed.
    Was gonna get one for the beach and the kids too use , but haven't got around to it yet ,so cant give you a review
  4. Olympus Mju series.

You need any model that ends in SW

e.g. Mju 1030 SW

They are perfect for smock pocket. Awesome photos, good video, waterproof, drop and crushproof...
    Olympus Page!
  5. Get onto Ebay. I have been using a Sony DSC-U60 for the last 4 years. Waterproof and therefore sand proof. If it gets dusty just wash it under a tap. They stopped making them a while ago but can still be found around on Ebay.

Only 2 mp but take super pics. It has been my det camera for ages and is great. Plus the fact that at that price if you lose it or it gets nicked who cares!
  6. Im thinking of getting the Ricoh Caplio R6. The gadget show roped one of these to the back of a landy drove a few miles down the road and it still worked fine, so i think its bump proof. Just wrap it up in a waterproof bag (ammo bag) and your fine for keeping it dry, that worked for me until the last camera was lost on the last day of batus.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

if its for training, get one cheap. with a big SD card.
  8. Dont touch the vivitar series..

Utter rubbish.
  9. Awesome. Cheers for all the suggestions guys, you've given me plenty of options to look at.

What was wrong with it Chap_in_black?
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

One very important point, if the on/off button can get accidentally pushed then when it turns on, your lens will auto deploy based on the motor, assuming you cam is jammed somewhere careful it will have no where to go and it will break the camera. Having lost two this way (3 year old fingers holding cam whilst pressing buttons) I can tell you its a PITA. make sure your on/off selector is secure/recessed etc.
  11. Have a trawl through the Gadget Show webshite, they did a comparison on rufty-tufty cameras a while back.
  12. I have an Olympus u790SW, absolutely gleaming bit of kit. Fully submersible to 3metres and can operate at that depth too so underwater pics. Drop and crush proof.
  13. I'll third the Olympus range, I'd just bought a new Cannon and they bring out those gutted.
    My mates got one of the Olympus ones and they are squadie proof.
    Like Mr Happy said they've not got an extending lenses so good for the pocket. Dust proof for the holidays ;-)
  14. I am liking the look of the olympus mju 770 SW. Looks like the one i'll probably go for unless i see something better in the next few days.
    Thanks again for the help