Fictional Film Characters that remind you of you

Although I can talk posh, the Missus reckons I sound and act like Ray Winstone in one of his movies when I get a little miffed (betraying my Holloway Road roots). Of course, unlike Ray who is a Hammers fan, I am an unabashed Gooner.

View attachment 343131

Cracking short movie:
Bouncer - A Short Film (Featuring Ray Winstone) HD
Though my bouncing days were in the late eighties and early nineties, when I was much younger and on and off mixed with other work, I did quite a few doors across North and Central London. Ray in this reminds of the first head doorman I ever worked with - wonderful bloke who was a legend in 23 PFA.
Holloway Road hmmm

Do you a Scottish lass called Donna by any chance ?

Holloway Road hmmm

Do you a Scottish lass called Donna by any chance ?
Sorry, no. It doesn't ring any bells past or present.

In my mind:

The harsh reality:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
(betraying my Holloway Road roots).

View attachment 343131

Cracking short movie:
Bouncer - A Short Film (Featuring Ray Winstone) HD
Though my bouncing days were in the late eighties and early nineties, when I was much younger and on and off mixed with other work, I did quite a few doors across North and Central London. Ray in this reminds of the first head doorman I ever worked with - wonderful bloke who was a legend in 23 PFA.
Post military and marriage I lived in Archway, Salisbury Walk zone for 10 years.. That was a hooley what with the PIRA treasurey at the Tavern and trying to avoid Shane MCGowen and Sinead O Connor on the road to Camden. You lucky man!

Post military and marriage I lived in Archway, Salisbury Walk zone for 10 years.. That was a hooley what with the PIRA treasurey at the Tavern and trying to avoid Shane MCGowen and Sinead O Connor on the road to Camden. You lucky man!
The Upper Holloway / Archway / Tufnell Park / Kentish Town triangle used to be next densest concentration of Irish in London after Kilburn. There were plenty of Republican pubs in the area and the Gresham Ballroom (across the road from St. Gabriel's) was renowned for its weekend fisticuffs, regular as clockwork. In the eighties, the local MP (one Jeremy Corbyn) encouraged Irish Republican extremists to hold rallies in the local park and march down to the loony-left Town Hall of the People's Republic of Islington, which flew the ANC flag instead of the Union Flag.

When I was going to a local school in the seventies, one of my Irish schoolmates had an uncle who worked in one of the "Paddy Pubs" on Junction Road. We were walking home down Highgate Hill one evening when he remembered that his parents were out and he didn't have a key; but that Uncle Sean had a spare. So we dropped by the pub to pick it up. Then it all became rather tense as we were still in our Army Cadet uniforms after completing a drill night. Ooops.

Last edited: