Fibre to the home

TamH70

MIA
Will be a lot of cable pulling required :) Was quite weird about 15 years ago we upgraded the TV, internet and had the phone all through virgin and it started stuttering. Engineer reckoned that the cable from the pavement to the box wasn't big enough, needed replacing. Ground crew came and said they'd need to dig up our block paved path, wife said your conduit is the the left side of the gate, your box is to the left side of the door, why not run it under the grass at the side of the path. So they did :)

Did your wife have a determined grin, a gleam in her eye, and a 14" long carving knife in her mitt when she had that conversation with the ground crew?

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Did your wife have a determined grin, a gleam in her eye, and a 14" long carving knife in her mitt when she had that conversation with the ground crew?
Usually I'm the one that plays the steely eyed dealer of death but I was away on business. I suppose she just showed them that they were being exceedingly stupid, just like how she handles me.

R0B

War Hero
I generate and supply our electricity and if that goes down I have a generator that powers the whole house.

Just out of interest what size generator do you need for that? (If you're in the UK - I guess the US with 110v won't need to be as big).

Just out of interest what size generator do you need for that? (If you're in the UK - I guess the US with 110v won't need to be as big).

Watts are Watts - if you used 110V, you need twice the current to do the same work.

However, it is a fallacy that US houses are 110V only. They’re actually 240V. The supply is center-tapped, so you get two legs of 120V, and 240V between the legs. Large loads, like dryers and air conditioning units are 240V. A typical panel has two vertical rows of circuit breakers, each side is one leg. 240V loads have double-pole breakers that span both sides.

Here’s my main panel:

79AB8130-2DF5-49B3-A46B-2DBDADCAD039.jpeg

The three at the bottom right are double pole breakers for an AC unit, stove and a sub-panel in the basement.

I’m curious as to what @Sam The Bam has for a gene. I’ll be looking for one this coming year. My supply is 200A, so that’s 48KW, but I won’t need anything like that, as not everything runs all at the same time. I’m think 20KW, but maybe 15KW would do it.

endure

GCM
Anyone on Virgin who's looking for a new mobile phone contract might want to look at O2. Now that V and O2 have merged anyone who has V broadband and O2 mobile is entitled to join the Volt scheme. This doubles the speed of your broadband and doubles your data allowance for free.

I was already with V so I bought a 4GB SIM only contract from Uswitch for £6 a month. Gave O2 a call and now have 200mb/s broadband (was 100mb/s) and 8GB data on my mobile.

jinxy

LE
however 2 things to note, the connections used by Openreach are gel filled to prevent water ingress if you change those connections for anything else ie electricians choc block and the wires go all green and fuzzy because of no protection there is a chance (not 100%) that you could be charged if that has caused a fault

edited to add twists are there for a reason more expensive Ethernet cables are twisted for a reason
They are twisted for strength, and it doesn't matter the cost of the cable.

The gel filled connectors are easily obtained and very easy to use. Insert un-stripped cable and squeeze the connector with a pair of pliers.

The whole house generator is 24kW, even if I turned on every electrical thing in the house, that wouldn't overload the genny.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
@dragon825 A couple of questions if I may, there are new cable pits / ducts being installed at the base of all the overhead telephone poles - presumably these are for the fibre nodes. We're on aluminium multipair to the DP so about 60% of the speed we could be on so I'm quite eager to get fibre installed, is there any benefit in holding out for special offers? finally, the dropwire currently goes to the front of the property, does the fibre have to go to the same place or can it be installed to the side of the house, the cable run will be about the same within 1.5metres - would this be better achieved if I left a pack or two of biccies where I'd like it to be run to?
Thanks.

TamH70

MIA
I found this video on the American electrical system a while back. It's quite informative but I appreciate that the presenter could be a bit Marmite:

dragon825

War Hero
@dragon825 A couple of questions if I may, there are new cable pits / ducts being installed at the base of all the overhead telephone poles - presumably these are for the fibre nodes. We're on aluminium multipair to the DP so about 60% of the speed we could be on so I'm quite eager to get fibre installed, is there any benefit in holding out for special offers? finally, the dropwire currently goes to the front of the property, does the fibre have to go to the same place or can it be installed to the side of the house, the cable run will be about the same within 1.5metres - would this be better achieved if I left a pack or two of biccies where I'd like it to be run to?
Thanks.
the special offers (although this not my area of expertise) seem to be when it goes live, the sooner people switch the better. because of the ball ache of now attaching the ladder to the wall via an eyebolt normally we would probably run to the same point at the gables and sometimes they leave the copper up. however 2 things is there line of sight from the pole to the side of the house? there is now a junction box fitted to the outside of the house as there is a separate fibre coming from inside the house to the fibre from the pole, so could still fix to the same point but run down the side of the house we always aim to do what the customer asks (apart from run it under the carpet as I have been asked to do, cause that's where it goes now!)

ironically you can be sacked for accepting a packet of biscuits!!!

We have a four week trial period of Konnect satellite internet starting later this month. Something like the dish at Jodrell Bank has turned up, luckily they do the installation as well.

We have a four week trial period of Konnect satellite internet starting later this month. Something like the dish at Jodrell Bank has turned up, luckily they do the installation as well.

Is satellite internet your only option? I ask because we had satellite internet for years and while it did what I needed it to do, I was glad to see it gone.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
the special offers (although this not my area of expertise) seem to be when it goes live, the sooner people switch the better. because of the ball ache of now attaching the ladder to the wall via an eyebolt normally we would probably run to the same point at the gables and sometimes they leave the copper up. however 2 things is there line of sight from the pole to the side of the house? there is now a junction box fitted to the outside of the house as there is a separate fibre coming from inside the house to the fibre from the pole, so could still fix to the same point but run down the side of the house we always aim to do what the customer asks (apart from run it under the carpet as I have been asked to do, cause that's where it goes now!)

ironically you can be sacked for accepting a packet of biscuits!!!
Thanks for that - the pole is outside the house next door so about a 15 metre span and about a 30 degree angle to the wallplate, which is about 300mm from the corner of the house. I've got some ladder work to do myself so, in theory, If I were to leave an eyebolt in the wall, and position it to assist with installing the new dropwire in my preferred direction, would it need to be an M10 or M12 ;) ...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Is satellite internet your only option? I ask because we had satellite internet for years and while it did what I needed it to do, I was glad to see it gone.
Latency, sunspots and inclement weather are all things to bear in mind, ..

anglo

LE
I found this video on the American electrical system a while back. It's quite informative but I appreciate that the presenter could be a bit Marmite:

The feed to the house is 120VX 120V, adding up to 240volt, there can be a variation
of a few volts, as your image shows, giving the house two 120volt supplies from one transformer
the transformer can be used to supply 240 volts if required
index.png

I am interested to see how this (free) trial goes. What with three lots of often internet required homework, the form filling for the business x2, and normal domestic use, our copper connection struggles. I originally went down this route as BT/Openreach were so far beyond useless at getting any kind of internet connection sorted out. After eight weeks of trying to do everything net based on a very poor 4G phone signal I was clutching at straws a little bit.

Diko

Old-Salt
We have Virgin media and it’s great. Easy to install, never been any problems, but when your first year is up they will bump up the price. Just haggle they always reduce it sometimes it’s cheaper than the year you just paid for.
They do keep sending letters to see if you want a mobile phone we just bin them.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Skype, teams, Zoom etc. will be annoying due to the latency - online games against human players will put you at a disadvantage, if they work at all. 'Normal' use (streaming video, web browsing etc.) will be fine if a little delayed in response time. The same goes for weather, poor weather can limit or drop your connection altogether, as can solar flares. We used VSAT's a lot in Africa & elsewhere, useful but with limitations. Depending where you are, latency can be up to 700mS or so.

In the Spring, Autumn/Fall and in Winter we never had any problems with it. It was during the summer with electrical storms that really messed it up. In winter if it went down it was usually because the snow need brushed off it.

A couple of times it's had thick ice on it after a freezing rainfall and it still worked.

Latest Threads