fiance

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by scared_fiance, Jul 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm hoping some people in here can give me some help. My fiance has been in the TA for years as a medic, and she has recently told me that she wants to volunteer to go away. Now obviously i really dont want my partner going into harms way and i would rather she didnt. Before i worry myself about it too much tho, i want to know how likely they are to take her. She failed a medical for the army years ago because of her eyesight, and she isnt able to pass shooting tests for the same reason. Would they take someone in this position?

2. better option may be to join yourself, and join her?
    which corps is she a member of?

3. I dont think there would be any chance i could get myself ready in time, she is looking to go soon. I really dont want her going out there, ive seen enough of the news to know its not a good place for a girl who cant shoot to be :(

4. what trade is she in? we're crying out for good medics right now whether from the TA or bringing regs over from the UK/BFG/elsewhere.
    PM me if you want.

5. [hr]edit

6. If she's going, suck it up, don't waste your time together beforehand sulking or listening to Joy Division.

7. msr

msr LE

No. If she can't pass the APWT, Chilwell will not release her.

OTOH, if you've been enjoying her bounty for the past few years, it's now pay-back time.

msr

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not true. Two people in my tranche at Chilwell didn't pass a CFT and one of them failed his APWT. The one that failed just the CFT was an AGC(SPS) clerk and the guy that failed both was a Class 3 chef. They were "accepted at risk" by their receiving units in Iraq. The moral of that tour seemed to be that if they want you, or to be precise your trade, badly enough, they'll take you.

9. I also know a female TA medic from a Field Amb unit who could not pass a BPFA. She too still went on tour...

10. I think in the present clime' such things as a failed APWT of BFT bears little importance to a non Infanteer. During Op Granby 1 medics were in short supply and Dutch civilain doctors were drafted in, given a good will commission and paid over the odds (so I was told). The only thing they weren't issued with was a sense of humour (Dutch remember). Having said this the ground was was over before they were drafted. I hope all this info. is correct. If your partner wants to go oppose it by all menas but not to the point where you alienated her, she will need your support.

11. I think in the present clime' such things as a failed APWT of BFT bears little importance to a non Infanteer. During Op Granby 1 medics were in short supply and Dutch civilain doctors were drafted in, given a good will commission and paid over the odds (so I was told). The only thing they weren't issued with was a sense of humour (Dutch remember). Having said this the ground was was over before they were drafted. I hope all this info. is correct. If your partner wants to go oppose it by all menas but not to the point where you alienated her, she will need your support.

12. I know none of this is what you're going to want to hear butat the end f the day, not only has she been trained to do a job that the majority of the TA can't/won't do, she's also chosen a discipline that's highly sought after.

The fact that she wants to put her experience and training to good use (of which is was intended) should be praised and nertured. As for what DR said (above), no point in trying to stop her at this point, it could lead to the end of a relationship if she wants to go that much, instead, support her and let your friends and family support you. Bring the wedding forward if you must, but don't be the niggling "what if? I should have done this!" in the back of her brain later on.

Wouldn't it be better to support her now, then later on when you've got kids and a house et al, than when you're both still relatively unbound from modern commitments?

There is also family welfare and support open to you (it can't be easy!!) and before you know it, your missus will be home and have saved a pretty penny (or three) for your little nest egg.

For some, the TA is a hobby, for others it's a part-time job!

Good luck to you both, whatever you both decide.

13. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

If a medic in a medical unit, she will most likely end up in SLB, a massive british base surrounded by hundreds, nay thousands of troops, a lot of whom will have looking after the place as their job. It is HIGHLY unlikely she will deploy onto the ground, especially if she cant shoot straight...

Another thing to remember is for gods sake dont pay attention to the news! Papers sell with sensational stories so therefore talk a lot of stuff up. An example would be when Jeremy clarkson visted Basra airport last year. According to the papers during his stay the base was subjected to a devestating mortar attack. We heard about this and wondered what they were on about. It turned out the "devestatng" attack was one round which landed about two miles away...
    The vast majority of soldiers who deploy wont have anything serious happen, or even something minor. In short she will come back with a suntan, some savings and a good experience.