Fiance being based in Germany! Help!!!

Okay guys so I'm new to this site and I'm kinda hoping someone out there can help. My fiancé of 2 years is being based in fallingbostel in January (great start to the new year huh?) The thing is I want to with him and I know your all going to think duhh just get married but its not that simple, although I'd happily marry him tomorrow he's worried about rushing things. His sister got married to a RLC earlier this year after a rushed engagement due to pregnancy and they are already sending of the divorce papers. My other half says he won't risk that happening to us. So what I was wondering is has anyone heard of any cases of unmarried couples being supplied with quarters when its an overseas posting? Or does anyone know of any help we can ask for in finding a place to privatly rent overseas. I'd rather not take that route but if needs must...
Any advice anyone can offer would be great as my fiancé is currently chasing it up on camp but as usual the powers that be are taking the piss getting back to us
X

Boredom is a truly terrible affliction.

Lilly, So then....is the fellas sister a looker?...

Okay guys so I'm new to this site and I'm kinda hoping someone out there can help. My fiancé of 2 years is being based in fallingbostel in January (great start to the new year huh?) The thing is I want to with him and I know your all going to think duhh just get married but its not that simple, although I'd happily marry him tomorrow he's worried about rushing things. His sister got married to a RLC earlier this year after a rushed engagement due to pregnancy and they are already sending of the divorce papers. My other half says he won't risk that happening to us. So what I was wondering is has anyone heard of any cases of unmarried couples being supplied with quarters when its an overseas posting? Or does anyone know of any help we can ask for in finding a place to privatly rent overseas. I'd rather not take that route but if needs must...
Any advice anyone can offer would be great as my fiancé is currently chasing it up on camp but as usual the powers that be are taking the piss getting back to us
X
If he won't marry you after you've been together for over two years, then he's not committed to you and once he's over here, I think you will be history to him!

Unless things have changed, you won't get a MQ and private renting is quite different here - for one, usually you will have to supply your own kitchen - complete! If you do go down this route, then you'd better brush up on the German laws!

Lil, luv, it is customary to post a pic of yourself on here, so please go ahead and do it.

I think your b/f is being cautious and rightly so. But have you considered changing your underwear from Marks n Sparks white to something more alluring like Victorias Secret attire? Have a look here and let us know what you think: Panties:  Women's Sheer,  Satin & Cotton  Panties at Victoria's Secret

Of course, Germany is not so far away these days what with hi speed trains, coaches and buses - and they are not too expensive, especially if you are a pensioner.

I dont recommend hitch hiking though I did once hitch hike across Canada, but that was using Canadian Air Force C130's. It cost me a crate of beer for each leg, which helped me keep my options open. You need to keep yours open too.

Hiring a private apartment is quite expensive in Germany but it can be done. Do you have any linguistic capabilities? The Germans very much appreciate it when Brits have good oral skills. If you dont, you could practice with bratwurst, which is a big German sausage. Just go to any Schnel Imbis (a small roadside stall that sells salmonella) and say "Eine bratwurst mit pomfrittes bitte" You'll soon learn how to get your tongue around it.

Anyway hope this helps and dont forget the pic.

Luv

Matt

Lilly, learn German in the next 40 days. Abandon everything and everyone in the Uk. Move to Germany and phone him from outside the camp and say "Surprise!"
NOTHING could go wrong with that plan.

X
Speaking on behalf of the powers that be, and not taking the piss, this is very straightforward: No. You cannot have a quarter unless you're married (although I believe you're permitted to move in 10 days before the big day). If, for whatever reason, your fiancée is permitted to occupy a surplus MQ as a single soldier you may not cohabit with him. The system will permit you to visit and stay over for weekends and leave periods or the odd stint when he's on duty, but nothing beyond that. Until you've made an honest man of him, you're not entitled to anything. Fally is probably one of the easiest dury stations to get to given it's proximity to Hanover international airport. Either get him to make the commitment, or get used to the sight of the Movenpick cafes which are the only things open in HAJ on a Sunday night (although the buffet there is really rather good).
I'm astonished "The powers" in your beloved's squadron haven't been able to tell him that off the top of their heads. Has he really been trying that hard to get answers? A phonecall to the housing office should have cleared this issue up in all of 10 minutes. :) good luck for the future, and try to get out there for the Christmas markets!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fallingbostel is a one whore town. The streets are still cobbled and the clocks go back twice a year. So it's currently 1867. In fact, when I was posted there, everything was in black and White, although to be fair, it's probably upgraded to sepia now.

It's a time warp place. Dr Who ******* loves it. Reminds him of Wales.

The fork hasn't been invented, women tie up their hair with twigs, young children play with sticks and hoops, and most men over the age of 18, well, they just play with their hoops, because there is nothing else to do.

There is a fish and chip shop, but potatoes are banned, and it's so far from the sea that fish haven't been invented yet, which is a real arse ache, however they do sell a deep fried frickadella. Which is nice. Mmmm.

I may be a touch out of date here, but I believe there is one pub for every three people, so going out on the lash is not a problem. Except for weekends, when they all close because of the puritanical Lutherian Church Movement.

Beer hasn't been invented yet.

Most Fallingbollists meet up on Thursdays, at the river. This is wash day and you are strongly advised to bring your own rocks. This can be the highlight of the week, especially if someone falls in.

Swimming hasn't been invented yet.

The Summer months can be fun too, 4 months of glorious sunshine, making hay for mattresses. Bread hasn't been invented yet, although some experiments with yeast infection are looking promising.

Winter is dreadful. Avoid it like the plague. Which is difficult, as the rat infestation of the water supply is simply unavoidable.

Smoking in public places is a complete nein nein as well, unless authorised by the Burgermeister on execution days, when it is compulsory for all Fallingbostulars to attend the 'Great Bonfire Build" prior to the burning at the stake.

This time of year is especially busy with a shooting festival every other day. Milk sop and Apple Korn is often served for breakfast, and then the menfolk don leather shorts and green felt hats, complete with a turkey feather, and oompah down to the woods where wild boar are beaten to death with tin trays.

It is illegal to walk anywhere without a gnarled walking stick covered in little tin badges.

Christmas is fast looming, and you could do worse by missing this occasion. (Much worse in fact. The hamlet of Soltau is just down the road, and that's bloody Medieval by comparison.) Families gather around snowdrifts and sing Carols and pieces of hot wood are passed around to chew. This Yule log, as it is known, is extremely good for the digestive system. Mince pies have yet to be invented.

Unfortunately, Santa Claus committed suicide after his first visit to the place, and as a result Fallingbostalarians make there own costumes, and visit each other in the small hours bearing gifts. These usually comprise of small round parcels of compacted snow, known locally as 'snowballs' and are a real delicacy. Meat hasn't been invented yet.

Once the jeezus ******* Christ(mas) festivities are over you can look forward to the New Year. There is nothing quite like it. In fact there is nothing. Zilch.

Occasionally one is invited to a special event, such as a wedding. Fallingbostollers love a good party and the wedding ceremony, although short, and confined to a quick bunk up in the woods, is followed by 3 days of *******. (Feasting hasn't been invented) The Burgermeister (usually called 'The Meister' because burgers haven't been invented yet) and his cronies from the Ratskeller (an underground town hall, with no pest control) hand out proclamations, inviting one and all to his next speech day. Often referred to as a Rally. Attendance is compulsory.

Birthdays are not celebrated, although the actual birth is. Fallingbostabouts will gather around the newborn, pointing and laughing at it, ensuring that in later life it will know it's place in society. Although
not illegal, kicking it is frowned upon.

Sport will play an important part of a Fallingbostalbooters life. Oops, silly me, no it won't. It hasn't been invented yet.

I trust this gives you an insight into life on the rolling northern plains of Germany.

What's not to like?

Don't PM me for further information, as I have no interest in the place, and I really haven't got the time, nor inclination to write about it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
No German harlots in England!? There must be, they can't all be working in Australian pubs and selling copies of The Big Issue. What about that Liz Battenburg? :)
Wales or Battenburg are both wrong, she's called Windsor, Wales is her son and grandsons, Battenburg is a cake.

C

cloudbuster

Is 'Layby Lill' still on the go? You could always take a tip from Lil; buy a motorhome and park it up not far from camp. You'll never have a lonely night.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Virgil Multinational HQ 4
S Army Reserve 12
tomahawk6 Multinational HQ 8