FFS Not another wings thread!…

KRH? There was a rumour that the Garrison QM at Gutersloh when I was there (I think he was called Danny) was ex-SF.

Different chap, top bloke, but a tragedy in the making.

So it remains abit of a grey area then, most don’t, some do. Those that do generally don’t get questioned about it… Those that dont, don’t because they don’t want the attention the wings bring or the sewing…

Thanks for directing me to the previous thread I had read this in full quite some time ago but it didn’t provide any answers.

What’s the general consensus from you lot on blokes that might decide to put them up on combats? Especially with the addition of SFC wings and SFM wings?!
Crack on you’ve earned them or big timing cnuts?

I know Bear G and Big Phil got a lot of stick (generally from those that haven’t earned them) for having them up in combats in their honorary roles, I think both have reverted to wearing the normal BBC now.
I work in the vicinity of several blokes who wear SFC wings.

The SFM wings might be interesting. Until v recently, the SFM course (especially for MOs) was something done if they had time. Quite often they were sent direct to the Squadrons and told to crack on - which would include jumping in as required. Of course, this may mean they are HAPC qualified without any kind of arduous course, which is going to make some people very, very sad…

poo_finger

Old-Salt
Why would you want to?
Why not, Its a hard earned qualification badge.
It also gives the wearer a bit of credibility in certain scenarios, for example a medic attached to infantry teaching CQB isn't going to get questioned if said medic has a set of SAS wings up.

The SFM wings might be interesting.
I agree, are there going to be grandad rights given to the guys that did Black Serpent years back that subsequently went on to lob when attached to the Sqns?
I can't imagine there would be an influx of volunteers from guys that have been in the SF Med Group for years suddenly wanting to have a crack at the SFM selection pathway to do a job they're already fulfilling.

It also gives the wearer a bit of credibility in certain scenarios, for example a medic attached to infantry teaching CQB isn't going to get questioned if said medic has a set of SAS wings up.
I think I would question why a medic is teaching CQB.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If wearing a badge makes you feel better about yourself, crack on. Most people are, at best, indifferent as to your badge(s). I wouldn't think any more of someone wearing SF wings, or less of someone who isn't.

If wearing a badge makes you feel better about yourself, crack on. Most people are, at best, indifferent as to your badge(s). I wouldn't think any more of someone wearing SF wings, or less of someone who isn't.
Good point, well-presented.

Attachments

• d-day-veterans.jpg
    d-day-veterans.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 37

poo_finger

Old-Salt
Agreed. I've met some absokute throbbers with all sorts of qual badges and coloured hats and some absolute gleaming individuals who don't. Judgements are made on what kind of a person they are at that moment in time and what they bring to the party.

To avoid thread drift, the question about why it dosen't appear to be the done thing (SAS wings in combats) remains unanswered, when it is appears to be aboslutely fine by ex-members of other elements of the group.

If their teaching isn't up to standard, I hope it would be. The ability to fall out of a plane from quite a long way up, or walk over some hills briskly, does not necessarily equate to the ability to teach X subject well.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you want a real answer, you could look up dress regs, or pose a question to the Army dress committee. These things are important after all :)

A long time ago I found myself attached to a very infamous Engineer Sqn in Aldershot.
While there, I met a couple of blokes whom were 23 SAS previous to becoming regular CRE. They wore the normal BPC badge in working dress and their sabre wings on No.2 dress. Also at that time, there was an LE Capt whom was full blooded 22 SAS. He also wore normal BPC wings on working dress and his sabre wings on #2's/ Mess dress etc etc.

SK