FFE (Free from explosives) Restrictions?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by thesimon2000, Jul 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi, I'm currently on Herrick and was presented with an engraved Klashnikov as a friendship gift, by one of the ANSF guys who is an old friend. I was just wondering if it's possible to get the engineers to de-activate this and if it would then qualify for an FFE pass?

    I havent got a chance to speak to the FFE guys in person about this, and everyone about the camp that I've asked advice on seems to have differing views.

    I can't think why not, if it's deactivated, as it should then comply with UK laws on deactivated weapons. Perhaps I'm wrong on this. Hopefully someone can help.


  2. You cannot take a weapon along to the armourers and ask them to "deactivate" it anymore. It has to be certified deactivated at a proof house.
  3. Ah right, cheers. Is there effective procedures to do this? I.e sign for weapon, take back in weapon roll, take to proof house etc? I just feel it would be a shame to have to give it back.

  4. I believe that a DIN has been published on this topic. If no one else has the answer I will look it up for you on Monday.
  5. Yes but first you have to get it back. Like I said there is a proper procedure to follow.
  6. They don't appear to be in Afghanistan.

    Apparently some people have a slight problem with it if you stick a fully functioning AK47 in your MFO box with the excuse 'I'm going to de-activate it when I get home'

    I think this is the problem he is referring to.
  7. It might have changed but both the military and customs got a major sad on with weapons (even de-activated) being brought back on Herrick 12. They even banned bringing back antique muskets/pistols. The only weapons I knew that got brought back were those that were brought back as regimental/army property.
  8. Back in 07 I brought several martini-henrys etc back and was quite au fait with it all. It used to be that the supposed 'antique' stuff could be signed off as such by the SATO and with a J1 import certificate, was good to go.

    However, all the stuff governed by firearms act (nice webleys, dirty AKs etc) was verboten. The only exemption was if it was going into a Regimental museum or some such, when an armourer's tinkering would suffice for de-ac purposes. these authorities were rocking horse poo and the domain of RSMs with much clout, SO1s milking the system etc. It in effect gets brought on-strength as a military weapon and secured as such. Only official UK proof houses can issue a certificate stating it is no longer a firearm.

    Even should you be able to get it back to barracks, the trip to a proof house from the barracks would require you to have the correct firearms license - obviously AKs are a big no-no.

    Best bet - persuade someone with pull to have it presented to a Mess or regi-museum.

    If you get it back via fair means then you could hypothetically get paperwork authorising someone to transport it as a mil weapon to a proof house, for which you then pay to get it de-acd before signed off strength.
  9. OP,You're being told some shit.

    This from a police force FAQ's : Although the above references to proofing and certification do not preclude the possibility that a firearm which has been deactivated in some other way may also have ceased to be a firearm within the meaning of the 1968 Act (as amended), it is important that care is taken when acquiring any firearm which is described as deactivated.

    What that means is, that you don't need a UK deact cert but it is better that you do as it would be deact'ed to UK standard. If you deact the wpn and bring it back the best thing to do is then take it to a RFD who can send it on to the Proof/deact House.

    I do not know the Military rules on servicemen bringing back deacts.

    This might aid whoever you are going to get to deact the wpn:

    Sub-machine Guns - there are significant differences between pre and post 1995 deactivated SMG. Post-95 deacts are generally welded solid, i.e. barrel is slotted and has a hard steel rod welded in, the barrel is pinned and welded to the receiver or the barrel slot passes into the receiver and the two are welded together, the chamber entrance is pinned and welded or the barrel rod extends into the chamber, the feed ramp is destroyed, the firing pin is destroyed, return and other springs are removed, the bolt (or a dummy replacement) is ground right back and welded to the receiver and or barrel in the closed position and the trigger mechanism is ground back or weakened and filled with weld. On some post-95 deacts the cocking handle can be moved (without moving the bolt) and the trigger or fire selector have limited movement. Pre-95 deacts have similar work done to the barrel and receiver, but the bolt (although ground back) is able to move to the rear. Additionally, the trigger mechanisms are left largely intact and the whole deactivated weapon is capable of a dry firing action. Pre-95 deacts are not capable of chambering inert rounds. They can be field stripped apart from the barrel. March 2011 Update - The specification for SMGs has been tightened as follows: no part of the bolt may be left free to move; it must be welded in place in one piece (with the usual grinding back having been completed first). Additionally a ring or other structure must be welded into the back of the receiver to prevent the bolt from being withdrawn.

    Assault Rifles - the specifications are largely as for SMG. However, gas assemblies are also often removed from both pre and post 95 deacts. On some post 95 deacts the flash hiders are also pinned and welded in place.
  10. Right - you need to get hold of DIN 2010DIN04-166 which tells you exactly what you need to do. The document is protected, so we shouldn't discuss the contents here.
  11. These can now be de-activated by an Armourer, as per the Din, but MUST follow strict rules and MUST still be certified by the proof house (which they charge for).