FFD on Tin Lid

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Run_Charlie!, Apr 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at some old WW2 pictures I saw some US paratroopers will a FFD attched to the steel lid they wore.

That seems like a good idea, why don't we do it today? One less thing to gaffer tape to your webbing, and you know right where it is!
  2. 'cause you would look a right nana?
  3. Together with a packet of tabs on the other side and a zippo at the back? FFS. Cow and boys spring to mind....
  4. I always thought the 1940s-1980s idea of having a pocket for it in the trousers was best. You've almost always got your trousers on whilst you may have any combination of shirt/jacket/webbing/CBA/Helmet and may therefore not have the FFD on you when required.
  5. Or think on this -

A helmet is there to protect your head from stuff that'll damage it. If your helmet is called upon to do it's job, then it's highly likely that you'll need your FFD.

Oops - it's been shredded by whatever you helmet protected you from.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I always carried two in the top left pocket and on my first tour this had the zap tag sewn under the flap. The pocket on the old combat trousers wouldnt take a decent elastoplast let alone a small ffd!
  7. You must have had very tight trousers on Ugly! ;)

The 20x20 FFD probably wouldn't fit but the smaller one did.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They were very baggy as only Junior Army could get back then!
  9. Function over form, no?
  10. Apparently this is a legacy from experimental parachuting days when one 'jumped' or dropped from the bottom of the fuselage - eg from the bomb doors, and were prone to catching one's forehead on the way out...
  11. Didn't the Argies in hte Falklands adopt the bizarre idea of opening it and wrapping it around the helmet?

Remember reading it caused consternation amongst an SBS (The other them) patrol who were recceing a beach as they had adopted white mine tape around the helment as an ID feature.

FFD in top left pocket, x 2.

ZAP written on pretty much everything.