Few questions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by BREN, Mar 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm well into my application to join the British Army, I went on a pre-selection thursday and and did fairly well ended up finishing the run in 10:45 and did 4 heaves aswell as completing the jerry can test. I know there's been a lot of questions about this, because I have searched the board, but I just wanted to make double sure and get a more fresh response. I had asthma as a child and I'm wondering if this will severely damage my chances of joining, I've never had an asthma attack but I haven't received any treatment for over ten years. I understand that this might not be significant to include on my medical form but I don't want to leave it out and then have the army medical staff find it on my records and think I'm trying to hide something.

Thanks for reading.
  2. As i was to understand if you dont need meds for over 3 years or something its good to go but it may depend on the severity of it when you had it. Since when is there a Pre selection?
  3. BREN, don't mention the asthma thing and you'll be ok.
  4. You have to mention it, as If you lie during your medical, after you hand your full medical records over to the Army, the will see you have had asthma and call you up about it, I belive you could also be dischangred.
    You should be fine if you have not used your inhaler in 4 years. At selection they MAY send you for a spiro test but you should be fine with that.

Good Luck.
  5. It was a pre selection day in Stafford. It's also known as a "look at life" day. Wasn't a lot going on though all the corporals wanted to get out of there to go on leave for easter :lol:
  6. Nothing but complete honesty, it will stand you in good stead throughout your career in the army and beyond.
    Best of luck
  7. Mate

we are that short at the moment, if you have a pulse and can accept the shilling we will take you
  8. Thanks a lot lads. Much appreciated.
  9. Can I echo one point here? As finnjim has mentioned, if you are fortunate enough to get a foothold on a career that you obviously want, don't ever be tempted to lie about something. It will bite you on the arrse one day.

Integrity is something that is held very dear by Servicemen.

I know I'm banging-on like an old fart, but my lad is learning the hard way that honest is the only policy.
  10. I had mild asthma like 2 or 3 years ago and i didn't put it in my medical forms dont no how they didn't pick up on it but i got away with it. so its up to you if you want to risk it.
  11. I'm just gonna put it on there. I put on the form the last time I received any medication was 1996 so it doesn't really look that bad. Even if they suspect something like someone already mentioned they can test me, I dont think they would turn me away because I used an inhaler for the last time when I was 8 years old and I never had an asthma attack anyway. Plus, ive already got a fairly decent time on the run so thats further proof that im free of it I suppose.
  12. I had asthma as well, went for RCB. At first they said no way, then they got my records and found it hadn't been a problem since I was about 5, so I had to a spiro test. After that no problems! As long as you're fit, then there are no worries! Just don't for the love of God smoke!
  13. honesty. You are not prescribed a ventillator or inhalor so it is one less thing for them to worry about when you get there. They wont worry unless it affects you when your there then they might overview. In the meantime exercise all you can and good luck

14. Spot on answer nearly 9/10.

If you have had any asthma related problems that are within 4 years symptom and treatment free you will be deferred until you are 4 years clear. Anything over that when you were younger you will be allowed to continue through the process to the ADSC and have an additional spiro test done there (lots of threads on this test). This will all come out when you get the GP to fill out your RG8. All these people who say lie fail the integrity test straight away and hopefully are not in the Army as I would want them watching my backs on Ops. Also I have known people to get booted out from training and the field force when they are found out they have lied on their initial application forms so DONT FCUKING LIE.