Few questions

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Napper1995, Jun 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Before I start. Yes I did make a thread saying I wanted to join either RRS or SG but have thought about it a lot since then and thought and thought you get the point. My deferral is over but unfortunately I need to get these train tracks out my mouth so I have to wait longer to join up. Basically over all this time my mind has changed... again

This time I plan to keep it this way, I want to join the RAC. Royal Scots Dragoon Guards more precisely, but at pre-adsc last year there was a lance corporal from that regiment who said they were being disbanded and told us all to steer clear basically. Then I've been shoveling round the forum and seen the new plans to change them to Light Cavalry on the Jackal?

So basically I'm wondering, are they going to be around for another say ten years atleast? They will no longer be on the challenger I assume? Will they be keeping the same cap badge etc? And lastly could someone please explain what Light Cavalry does without the use of acronyms and words like COPNAM or whatever it is, I am really keen to find out more and really want to join.

thanks in advance

2. Contender No 3.

3. Sorry what?

4. They are going as light cavalry, they are not being disbanded, the cap badge is not changing. I don't think anyone actually knows what Light Cavalry are actually going to do?

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

No they don't. As I have commented elsewhere, LD are back from Afghanistan, have handed over their CVR(T)s for the last time and are the first regiment to start looking at the light role. As such, according the recent journal, they are going to make it up as they go along so that by the time the others start to convert, they'll know where they are going.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Isn't that what I sort of said? A regimental sized Assault Troop maybe?

7. Which makes a refreshing change.

8. AlienFTM

Reminds me of a very specifically regimental (and at least 75 years old, since the Five and Nines mag-to-gridded their horses before the Second World War) 15/19H song.

We are the galloping Five and Nines.
    We are the galloping Five and Nines.
    Every man in the squadron
    Is willing to do or die.

We are the galloping Five and Nines
    And we're next to the Navy on the sea.
    If it wasn't for the galloping Five and Nines, boy,
    Where the **** would the Army be?

Miles behind the lines (shovelling shit).
    Miles behind the lines (shovelling shit).
    If it wasn't for the galloping Five and Nines, boy,
    Where the **** would the Army be?

---ooo0ooo---

Looks like the galloping Light Dragoons are following the tradition of their forefathers:

Where the LD go, the rest follow.

9. Out of sheer idle curiosity?

10. AlienFTM

I seem to remember the Third of Track used to follow 15/19H Scimitars down tracks that were obviously (to tankies) not suitable for Chieftain. Presumably this too, was out of idle curiosity? Or we wanted a few hours off exercise waiting to be recovered?

11. Yes SCOTS DG is remaining intact and un-amalgamated. Yes it is becoming a Lt Cav regiment. In summary, if you think BRF at regimental level, plus some other (less fighting type) things too, you won't be far wrong.

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

'COPNAM' is derived from a cricketing term and describes the moment when the US declares its military adventures in South East Asia are over and everyone heads for the embassy roof.

13. AlienFTM

Actually I was looking at (rather than reading: as a reference book to the armies of the Seven Years War it had as many pictures as words: right up my street) a book for Arrse review at the weekend.

It made the point that Eliot's Light Horse (-> Eliots Light Dragoons -> 15th Light Dragoons -> 15th Hussars -> 15th/19th Hussars -> The Light Dragoons) were the first regiment of light cavalry ever raised by the British Army in March 1759, during the Seven Years War. It's obvious really (they even briefly held the name 1st Light Dragoons) but I had never seen it spelled out before.

So it is absolutely fitting then that again, The Light Dragoons are the Army's first regiment of light cavalry.