few qs

#1
just wondering if any of you would spare the time to help me out a bit

im a girl, im 19 and im in my first year of a degree at uni
sunday night - wednesday night i live in halls at uni
other than that i live at home

im interested in joining the TA but obv i wouldn't be able to attend a midweek session as i will be living at uni

would this be a problem?
also im interested in IT and comms but i would still have to do the basic + weapons training first? ( not that i mind it sounds quite fun )
 
#2
Question, where do you live and wheres uni ? are they too far apart

Most units train on either Tues or Weds which means you would have to use a unit close to uni.

Weekends shouldn't be a drama as you will be housed by the unit for Fri and Sat night be it at the TAC, another camp elsewhere or under a poncho in the middle of a forest. Your only hardship is getting back to where ever you study on a Friday


To answer your other question, yes everyone learns basic soldering first
 

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#3
University officer training Corps perhaps, depends where you are but theres a thread on here somewhere.
 
#5
my uni is in worcester and my home is in dudley
i dont have a car lol

my days of study at uni change every semester, so every 4 months or so
before xmas i was there monday - thurs
now im there sunday - wed night

i live with my parents at weekends

ps - how soon after you sign up do you start training/given kit etc and do you get payed while ur training
 
#6
You'll definately get paid for every training session you do, although it might take a while for the money to start coming in. You should get issued your kit immediately, as almost all your weekend will be in the field.

As for missing the drill nights, at my unit it's not essential to attend; it's the weekends that really count during training. That having been said, it's the blokes that attend regularly that really gel as a unit, and do well. I'd advise you to make the time for the week nights, if you can.
 
#11
stayce88 said:
my uni is in worcester and my home is in dudley
i dont have a car lol

my days of study at uni change every semester, so every 4 months or so
before xmas i was there monday - thurs
now im there sunday - wed night

i live with my parents at weekends

ps - how soon after you sign up do you start training/given kit etc and do you get payed while ur training
A Sqn RMLY is in Dudley, Parade 1930-2130 Wednesday nights. Regimental page here
Don't worry- we won't bite
 
#12
tothepubandbeyond said:
A Sqn RMLY is in Dudley, Parade 1930-2130 Wednesday nights. Regimental page here
Don't worry- we won't bite
damn i just had this wednesday off!
i have a lesson 6-9pm wednesday nites till the end of may :(
 
#13
#14
A Sqn PSAO (Telephone: 01384 230 166)
ring and explain your situation, you might be able to work something out
 
#15
tothepubandbeyond said:
A Sqn PSAO (Telephone: 01384 230 166)
ring and explain your situation, you might be able to work something out
thankyou to you
and to the mean guy :p

ps - do they make army issue boots in a size 4?
 
#16
Im in exactly the same position as you: 19, Female, 1st year, Uni an hour away from home and at uni from monday to thursday.
I was told that during the term times to go to a TAs in my uni town and just stay the weekends to do weekend training.
But then during the holidays I could change cap badges for another TAs near my home as holidays tend to be a few months long. Apparantly this wouldnt be a problem as long as you told your uni TAs that you need to change for the holidays.
 
#18
iamalondoncrab said:
You'll definately get paid for every training session you do, although it might take a while for the money to start coming in. You should get issued your kit immediately, as almost all your weekend will be in the field.

As for missing the drill nights, at my unit it's not essential to attend; it's the weekends that really count during training. That having been said, it's the blokes that attend regularly that really gel as a unit, and do well. I'd advise you to make the time for the week nights, if you can.
Almost right, since JPA has come in however you can't get back dated pay prior to getting your number, put a greater emphasis on getting it sorted, also due to the new selection process its doubtful you will see a uniform till after you have completed the selection weekend
 
#20
Queen_of_Lesbeth said:
Im in exactly the same position as you: 19, Female, 1st year, Uni an hour away from home and at uni from monday to thursday.
I was told that during the term times to go to a TAs in my uni town and just stay the weekends to do weekend training.
But then during the holidays I could change cap badges for another TAs near my home as holidays tend to be a few months long. Apparantly this wouldnt be a problem as long as you told your uni TAs that you need to change for the holidays.
Who on earth told you that ? Althogh technically correct, you will be dispised by the PSAOs and clerks at both ends, I advise you against it, who on earth will want t to use thier buget to train you only for you to pish off to another unit for a few months.

If its too hard to do the TA an uni then try the UOTC (if you have one) they are set up for students nad have you best intersts in mind, once you have finished and fancy the TA you simply transfer as a trained soldier, we have quite a few in our unit and they are top drawer


BTW don't get put off by the officer tag, it doesn't mean yo u have to join up as a rupert, most of ours joined us as toms
 

Latest Threads

Top