Builds Feu's HMS Malaya build

Moved on to Hull bottom panels. With these you have a little strip that goes on the ribs so you have the hull colour under the joint and a bit more width to glue to. I had one panel with a little gap but mostly I am happy with how it is going
Coming along nicely, I used to do a bit of card modelling a decade or so ago, It's an interesting medium.
I've got a large Avro Vulcan packed away that I should have a go at someday.

Oyibo

LE
I'd never realised that such a good model could be built (in kit form) from paper/card. Looks great - keep the photos coming, they're fascinating

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Excellent build and report. Remember the old maxim about kit instructions, " If they don't make sense, you're doing something right".

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd never realised that such a good model could be built (in kit form) from paper/card. Looks great - keep the photos coming, they're fascinating
There's a bunch of them here, wood too if you really want to waste the maximum amount of money on something you're going to sling across the room. They do look amazing, I was tempted till I looked at the instructions. On Amazon UK too

One great thing about Card Models is that you can scan each page and save a copy as a backup if you should screw the pooch on a fiddly bit, or use the scan to practice building the fiddly bit before attempting it with the original.

This also works if you want to do a recolour of the model in another scheme. Obviously only for private use.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
After much study of diagrams and photos, I worked out how the casemates for the secondary batteries go together. See the photo with the peculiar branching pieces - these go top and bottom of each casemate. Helpfully, the instructions say they can be omitted or only the larger bit used. As the chances of me being able to cut out the thin bits undamaged is slight, I am going to just use the larger bits. Other pics show the pieces to make up foremost port one and foremost starboard finished and installed. Only another 11 to make but they will be easier now i’ve worked out the best way to do it

Attachments

4(T)

LE
After much study of diagrams and photos, I worked out how the casemates for the secondary batteries go together. See the photo with the peculiar branching pieces - these go top and bottom of each casemate. Helpfully, the instructions say they can be omitted or only the larger bit used. As the chances of me being able to cut out the thin bits undamaged is slight, I am going to just use the larger bits. Other pics show the pieces to make up foremost port one and foremost starboard finished and installed. Only another 11 to make but they will be easier now i’ve worked out the best way to do it

Is there a particular method of cutting out the parts? Is one shape of scalpel blade better than another, etc?

The card must be exceptional quality for those thin parts to maintain their integrity when cut.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Is there a particular method of cutting out the parts? Is one shape of scalpel blade better than another, etc?

The card must be exceptional quality for those thin parts to maintain their integrity when cut.
I am using a No11 (straight) and No16 (half round) blade and a standard craft knife. No16 is good for smooth curves, craft knife for long straight cuts using a steel rule. Something I had not anticipated is that the blades rapidly lose there edge due presumably to the cutting mat

Card is indifferent quality, part of the reason not to attempt the really thin stuff

feu_de_joie

War Hero
More progress, Hull bottom plating finished and now need to make the propellers and rudders. One propeller unit finished (bar a collar piece I had forgotten about), I the background, various pieces for the other three. I have cheated a bit with a piece of plastic rod for the propeller shaft and a touch of silver and copper paint

Attachments

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Propellers and rudders installed, bottom now finished. Secondary batteries and hull at that level were straightforward. Tops of the torpedo bulges were not, long thin pieces needing butt joints. You can see the odd gap and wobble but I can’t do anything with it now. On a positive side, I am getting better at handling tiny pieces (see third pic)

Attachments

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Mid ships superstructure building up. This consists mainly of boxes connected by the decks but with some fiddly detailing. You can just see the first of the girders inside the hangars; I sometimes wonder why I am bothering because a lot of this will not be visible when finished. A good thing is that there are spares of a lot of the small, difficult pieces, just as well

Attachments

feu_de_joie

War Hero
I have not posted for about two weeks, not because i’ve Been idle, well no more idle than usual, just that as I become more mobile Mrs Feu finds more jobs for me to do

Things have also slowed down as build becomes more difficult. For example the 4inch gun turrets took the best part of a week, on and off. Funnel and forward superstructure are loose at the moment. I made the funnel guard from wire as I didn’t think the laser cut part would stand up to handling. I may add a rail to the platforms on the funnel, if I do, it will be a single horizontal rail. Forward superstructure has various pieces still to add. The second level is also made but as I tried it for fit, I discovered that I have installed two vents upside downed a result of no diagram of that side of the superstructure. Fortunately they are not too visible, so any damage caused by dismantling will not show

Attachments

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Been otherwise occupied but back to the build now. Next, the three decks to the upper forward superstructure. Each deck has a set of supports that go on the underside, shown in picture. Two decks go into fine slots (already cut) in the tower. The long pieces on left are the masts that go through the decks to support the decks above. I have started rolling one but I don’t think I can get it down to the diameter needed and still keep it in good order

Attachments

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Bridge decks nearly done, close up to show deck supports and ladders in place. Splinter shields still to finish on rear of deck 2. A cabin goes on to the rear, so most of this will be hidden when finished. Some mistakes have been made; two of the searchlights should be elsewhere but too late now, bridge is about 2mm further back than it should be also too late now, means the side masts will just touch one of the cabins instead of clearing. Side masts now painted dowel. Surround of deck 3 to be fitted and then splinter panels added. Weird thing on right is the fire control tower with range finder, radar to be added on top

Attachments

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Bridge decks in place, Director Platform loose as the other two parts of the tripod mast are still to go in. There are more structures to go on top which have some challenging shapes

Aft superstructure complete less for Pom Poms and a radar antenna. Mast and masthead structures to do yet

Next in build order is supposed to be the 15” turrets but I think I will turn my attention to some of the fiddly deck stuff like capstans, bollards and whatever. That way, I won’t be left with all these small bits to do at the end. I also fancy making one of the ship’s launches, to see how that goes

Attachments

Chef

LE
I'm impressed with the kit and your skills.

My paper modelling skills peak at about this level:
How to Make the Fastest Paper Airplane

(That's not one of mine by the way)

Latest Threads