Builds Feu's HMS Malaya build

Diko

Old-Salt
I have found a supplier and am contacting them with a view to purchase a kit, there is quite a few to choose from.

you are all quite mad.

and there is nothing wrong with that

feu_de_joie

War Hero
The instructions didn't give any guidance on building the frame other than reference to a diagram, so I opted to build the lower frame as four sections then marry them up. The main lasercut pieces went together really neatly. Assemble up-side down and when everything is square, a drop of super glue on each join. The reinforcing pieces(of which there are many) are marked up as to which piece they join to but for location there is only a mark on the piece. Initially, I used a gel super glue but this didn't work. Instead I am using a Bison contact adhesive, this has enough grab to hold things during adjustment, then sets fast with a little pressure
Aft Lower Midship Section.JPGBow Lower Section.JPGLower Hull Sections.JPG

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Marrying the four lower hull sections proved easy, done on my cutting board for squareness and using a bulldog clip on the longitudinal joins. A set of pieces went on top, then the upper hull sections on top. I chose to put the upper hull sections on separately rather than assemble them into one piece. The instructions now said to add the deck reinforcement pieces 1-3. The bow and stern were pretty obvious but the centre did not seem to marry up with either. After much puzzling, I went back to the lasercut sheets, to find piece 1a, which fitted perfectly between pieces 1 and 2 but why 1a? Why not 1-4 and avoid confusion. Must go now, as I have to get ready for a physio appointment

Attachments

Marrying the four lower hull sections proved easy, done on my cutting board for squareness and using a bulldog clip on the longitudinal joins. A set of pieces went on top, then the upper hull sections on top. I chose to put the upper hull sections on separately rather than assemble them into one piece. The instructions now said to add the deck reinforcement pieces 1-3. The bow and stern were pretty obvious but the centre did not seem to marry up with either. After much puzzling, I went back to the lasercut sheets, to find piece 1a, which fitted perfectly between pieces 1 and 2 but why 1a? Why not 1-4 and avoid confusion. Must go now, as I have to get ready for a physio appointment
That is going to be an impressive size once done!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Kin size of that boat! @Simmerit will be able to land his wokka on that fecker. (When it's finally finished)

daz

LE
Might have been a bit less challenging to super detail the old FROG HMS Revenge, if you could find one. Good luck!

Frog HMS Revenge OS
I had that model as a kid, it was brilliant. In those days there was only Airfix, Frog, or Revell. HMS Revenge was Royal Sovereign class though, where HMS Malaya was Queen Elizebeth class.

I had that model as a kid, it was brilliant. In those days there was only Airfix, Frog, or Revell. HMS Revenge was Royal Sovereign class though, where HMS Malaya was Queen Elizebeth class.
Yes, you needed to use the Airfix Warspite if you wanted a QE: I was going for something (marginally) closer in scale to the origami work.

PFGEN

GCM
And a ship is starting to appear...I'm hooked.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't believe you are a real Arrse model maker. Your work area is far far too clean and free from clutter!

Looking good BTW!

Airfix Warspite, an excellent kit made mine in 1964, along with Bismarck another superb kit.
The first one I made with the help of Par Avion senior was HMS Hood, followed by the Bismark. The Revell model of the Tirpitz and Blutcher was best though.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Moved on to Hull bottom panels. With these you have a little strip that goes on the ribs so you have the hull colour under the joint and a bit more width to glue to. I had one panel with a little gap but mostly I am happy with how it is going
Dear Christ!

Moved on to Hull bottom panels. With these you have a little strip that goes on the ribs so you have the hull colour under the joint and a bit more width to glue to. I had one panel with a little gap but mostly I am happy with how it is going
whats the length and beam on it?

feu_de_joie

War Hero
The instructions now say to attach the main decks and install the casemates. It seemed more logical to carry on with the underwater plating but reading ahead, there are the hawse pipes to install (from underneath the deck) and the side plating starts from deck level. I’d been wondering about the side plates as they have more depth than the ribs but I Google translated a note to a diagram, which tells me they overlap. Hooray, but the instructions for the casemate reinforcement were completely baffling. After about two hours of puzzling and offering up, I lifted the not glued down main deck and it became obvious. I will probably build the casemates first, then attach the main deck. Pleased with the hawse pipes

Attachments

Latest Threads