Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Builds Feu's HMS Malaya build

I am feeling pretty good post-operation and I can see this being put to one side as more active things beckon but I have made a start

The kit comes as an approx 35x25cm booklet with 18 pages of instructions (in Polish) and 22 pages of parts
Cover Art.JPG
Back Cover.JPG

Above are the front and back cover and below a typical page of instructions and diagram

Polish Instructions.JPG

There is also 8 pages of English instructions, translated by a non-English native speaker but not too difficult work out the sense of what is said. I have already discovered that you need to cross reference the instructions, diagrams and part sheets
English Instructions.JPG

Here are a couple of sample pages. The part pages are in two thicknesses and some parts will need laminating onto card, thickness in the instructions. The highest numbered part is, I think, 603 but many parts are multiple. For ease, I have removed the part pages from the booklet and seperated them
Sample Page 2.JPG
Sample Page.JPG

I Googled HMS Malaya model kit and up came a link from Model Ship World with a built artical and photos of your kit. Looks really great!

In 1956 my father bought me a cardboard book model of the Vickers Viscount. After reading about the aeroplane I popped the cardboard pieces from the book and tried to assemble the model (about 12” wingspan). I was ten at the time and struggled.
My father, RAF Pilot, made it for me. I wish I could find one now it made 834B846F-F561-4BE0-AEE3-57720F0A5BA3.jpeg a superb model finished in BEA livery.

For those of you who think you can't sail a cardboard boat, remember this guy?
Thor-Heyerdahl.jpg

Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki. A 1/1 scale model built out of papyrus, sailed across the Pacific from South America to the Polynesian Islands to prove the islands could have been settled from Peru.

For those of you who think you can't sail a cardboard boat, remember this guy?
View attachment 478584
Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki. A 1/1 scale model built out of papyrus, sailed across the Pacific from South America to the Polynesian Islands to prove the islands could have been settled from Peru.

Kon-Tiki was built from Balsa Logs.. Ra and Ra-2 were built from reeds and used unsuccesfully and successfully to sail the Atlantic