Festival of Remeberance Music

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Canadian_Trog, Nov 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Downloaded and watched the festival of Rememebrance this week (as were at bit behind here in Canada).

Towards the end a lone RM Bugler plays after the congregation has sung Bread of Heaven. The music seems to flow into another Hymn and the standard bearer lowers the Union Flag to the floor.

My question is what is that music / Hymn / Bugle call that is played when the Union flag is lowered.

Many Thanks.

Sorry if a bit of a silly Q :?
  2. I stand to be corrected but I think that the piece of music you are looking for is known as "Sunset" If you google search Royal Marines Music you will be able to find out more. Good luck.
  3. I join your 'stand' albeit on a different podium..are there not a few extra letters in the OP title.,,??..'Remeberance'..or is it a case of the right letters in the wrong order..I am but a 'humble 02'.. :) ..so I stand to be corrected.. :wink:
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

As in Remembrance? Then yes.

And yes it was Sunset, which is quite often preceded by 'The Evening Hymn'.
  5. Thanks to all for the replies much appreciated.

Sorry for the spelling case of the fat fingers and typing too quickly... :oops: :cry:

Will check out "Sunset" been wondering what the piece was for quite sometime.

6. Do you have access to iTunes?
    It's on the UK version.Search for Sunrise,and look for anyone version played by a military band.
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The bugle call 'Sunset' ends the RN version of Beating Retreat, and is a relatively modern invention, starting in the 1930s. It's also been adopted by the RAF.

The RM version can be heard here.