Festival of Britain

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Cripes. Sixty years ago. Seems like only yesterday. Gold foil coated chocolate coin thingies during rationing and I've still got the gyroscope I bought. How many of you remember that then?
(The festival. Not my gyroscope)

Some foul-smelling gooey stuff that you could blow into balloons - that wouldn't burst if you stuck a pin in them, the Skylon and the Tree Walk.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nope - don't remember it at all. I was out East protecting the country from Communist hordes in Malaya. Well actually I was still in nappies, but I should have had the GSM w/c Malaya pinned to my nappy as I was there!

Only had 2 school trips. One to Carisbrooke Castle on the IoW, the other to the Festival of Britain. Remember the Britannia Class loco on display "Oliver Cromwell"? Oops, I forgot. We gpt taken to see "Scott of the Antarctic"

Had a ball on Emett's railway in Battersea Park! The Far Tottering & Oyster Creek Railway. Loved the whole thing, but there again I was only 10.

I thought the locomotive on display was Riddles' Britannia Class: 70000 'BRITANNIA'. I know 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' has been preserved, but clearly my memory is on the blink.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had a ball on Emett's railway in Battersea Park! The Far Tottering & Oyster Creek Railway. Loved the whole thing, but there again I was only 10.

I thought the locomotive on display was Riddles' Britannia Class: 70000 'BRITANNIA'. I know 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' has been preserved, but clearly my memory is on the blink.
Preserved & running:

[video=youtube;o0nV2yK04cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nV2yK04cE&feature=fvw[/video]

[video=youtube;1bkfrZ3UBKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkfrZ3UBKI&feature=related[/video]

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
South Bank -Skylon - Dome of Discovery - boat to Battersea Park - loaded up with ice cream - loads of rides on curvy, twisty, up-and-downy things - was later copiously sick. Stupid boy.