Festival of Britain

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cent05zr70, Feb 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cripes. Sixty years ago. Seems like only yesterday. Gold foil coated chocolate coin thingies during rationing and I've still got the gyroscope I bought. How many of you remember that then?
    (The festival. Not my gyroscope)

2. Some foul-smelling gooey stuff that you could blow into balloons - that wouldn't burst if you stuck a pin in them, the Skylon and the Tree Walk.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Nope - don't remember it at all. I was out East protecting the country from Communist hordes in Malaya. Well actually I was still in nappies, but I should have had the GSM w/c Malaya pinned to my nappy as I was there!

4. Only had 2 school trips. One to Carisbrooke Castle on the IoW, the other to the Festival of Britain. Remember the Britannia Class loco on display "Oliver Cromwell"? Oops, I forgot. We gpt taken to see "Scott of the Antarctic"

5. Had a ball on Emett's railway in Battersea Park! The Far Tottering & Oyster Creek Railway. Loved the whole thing, but there again I was only 10.

I thought the locomotive on display was Riddles' Britannia Class: 70000 'BRITANNIA'. I know 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' has been preserved, but clearly my memory is on the blink.

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Preserved & running:

7. Although naturally you abhor any locomotive with such a name as it offends your ultra-loyalist principles? :)

8. How prescient you are! I loath Cromwell and his memory!

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

South Bank -Skylon - Dome of Discovery - boat to Battersea Park - loaded up with ice cream - loads of rides on curvy, twisty, up-and-downy things - was later copiously sick. Stupid boy.

10. I remember -- or at least I think I do -- an Army unit (Royal Signals?) with a transmitting dish poinnted at the sky and being told they were bouncing radio waves off the moon. I thought that was brilliant.