fess up then who has been trolling Glen

ches

LE
NAAFI posting aside, if some fcuking bellends think its fine & dandy to rip into someone regarding his/her mental health needs to stick their heads in a fcuking wood chipper.

Glen is an absolutely gleaming bloke, probably one of, if not the, best RSMs (stand fast the household division) that I served under.

Even if you don’t like him, I don’t know why you’d rip into him about his mental health, especially other soldiers.

In hindsight it‘s obvious that this would happen. Social media such as twitter is a necessary evil he has to use, twats can be twats because they are anonymous and he has no one discuss things with over a pint. He’s in a peer group of one.

The position might not be best suited for an infanteer. Try other capbadges and/or devise a selection process.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
NAAFI posting aside, if some fcuking bellends think its fine & dandy to rip into someone regarding his/her mental health needs to stick their heads in a fcuking wood chipper.

Predictably, even the comments on the Mail's story are full of "If you can't handle Twitter, stay off it" type comments.

I don't know the man personally, but I challenge any of his detractors to live in his boots for a year.

As an aside, even here on ARRSE, apparently, if you post in the Depression thread, people use whatever you say as ammunition for petty squabbles elsewhere.

It will be Alfie Usher and the FYB crowd.

Acting field marshal (or what rank the "warrant officer" is), Haughton made a bit of a **** of himself several times.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
In hindsight it‘s obvious that this would happen. Social media such as twitter is a necessary evil he has to use, twats can be twats because they are anonymous and he has no one discuss things with over a pint. He’s in a peer group of one.

The position might not be best suited for an infanteer. Try other capbadges and/or devise a selection process.

Interesting point. I think then, that any usage of Twitter could be farmed out to a subordinate, no? Keep a buffer against the crazy.

Acting field marshal (or what rank the "warrant officer" is), Haughton made a bit of a **** of himself several times.
He is the Senior Enlisted Advisor to theChief of Staff (or something like that), it’s an appointment the same as GSM etc and not a rank.

I know he made a tit of him self after the BLM stuff (I think) but can’t immediately think of any other occasion.

Whilst I have some fundamental concerns as to how a 48 year old Major can accurately represent the concerns of OR1s who are 30 years younger than him, most things I've seen of (Sgt) Maj Glenn Haughton show a bloke trying to do his best.

Twitter is just a vile cesspit, and for one I'm glad I left it years ago.

The impression I got from FYB was that he was quite well regarded on there. I seem to recall Alfie tipping up for a live cast three way discussion on mental health with the Sergeant Major of the Army (IIRC that was his rank - apologies if wrong).

Whilst I have some fundamental concerns as to how a 48 year old Major can accurately represent the concerns of OR1s who are 30 years younger than him, most things I've seen of (Sgt) Maj Glenn Haughton show a bloke trying to do his best.

Twitter is just a vile cesspit, and for one I'm glad I left it years ago.

Could be worse he could post on Mumsnet now that really is a nest of vipers

Interesting point. I think then, that any usage of Twitter could be farmed out to a subordinate, no? Keep a buffer against the crazy.

It would be better. I don’t use twitter but I’m sure the tweets made will come into a number of categories.

1. Down right abuse and trolling - can be ignored.

2. Positive messages.

3. Suggestions.

4. Angry messages that have a serious issue that needs dealing with.

He just needs to steer the ship, others need to paddle.

The impression I got from FYB was that he was quite well regarded on there. I seem to recall Alfie tipping up for a live cast three way discussion on mental health with the Sergeant Major of the Army (IIRC that was his rank - apologies if wrong).

That's the new bloke (can't mind his name, WO1 Paton maybe).

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Predictably, even the comments on the Mail's story are full of "If you can't handle Twitter, stay off it" type comments.

I don't know the man personally, but I challenge any of his detractors to live in his boots for a year.

As an aside, even here on ARRSE, apparently, if you post in the Depression thread, people use whatever you say as ammunition for petty squabbles elsewhere.

If there was a group of loud and aggressive narcissistic fanatics, crazies, fantasists and obsessives getting lairy in the pub, most sensible people would leave them to it. Why seemingly intelligent people at the top of large organisations think that the internet suddenly transforms this rabble into a critical audience receptive to argument and reason remains a mystery.

Those best equipped to handle themselves in the mainstream social media space either operate with extreme caution or, more often, avoid that space like the plague. I'm not surprised if Haughton's been monstered - trying to be corporate in a cage full of monkeys is impossible and he should never have been put in that position.

If I remember correctly that wasn't Haughton that was Gavin Paton (The one who came after Haughton). Several times "Big Gav" has answered Twitter/FYB that he will sort out what ever bullshit some unit has done to **** over the lads. Because of this he is popular.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder how many of the internet hard men would care to insult Sgt Maj Haughton to his face?

He is the Senior Enlisted Advisor to theChief of Staff (or something like that), it’s an appointment the same as GSM etc and not a rank.

I know he made a tit of him self after the BLM stuff (I think) but can’t immediately think of any other occasion.

My comment about his rank was because despite being touted as the voice of the soldiers, when he was the ASM he was a captain, now hes senior enlisted advisor hes a Major. But wears a WO1 rank in an attempt to make it look as if he (and the ASM) are still an OR.

There were screenshots of various FYBs questions to him, that he basically ignored/chinned off. And he wasnt the only one, various brown nosing military Twitter users were telling him to ignore the nasty man.

He came across as someone who didnt actually give a **** about the lads, contrast that to Gavin Paton who at least says hes going to do something. Of course Haughton might be great and Paton might be a ******, but perception counts and the the latter connects with the JRs, the former is regarded as a tit.

I think Haughton (along with other some other military) needs to understand that noone outside the army give a toss about your rank. You can say what you like in front of a bunch of soldiers they are unlikely to contradict you (or just call you a baldy ****), its a bit more difficult in the real world where your rank is of no protection.

This just appears that he doesnt like what people are saying about him so he's throwing a strop.

Latest Threads