Ferrets ....Help to settle an argument.

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Adam(KOS), Dec 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reference Ferret Scout cars. (Small MG turret )
    Can someone enlighten me on what drivers licence is required to drive one of these today. I'm arguing a standard manual / automatic car licence ( as per 70s & 80s ) however, this is being disputed with someone who is contemplating buying one but has been informed to the contrary.
  2. One of my old Bay mates has one, I'll ask him.
    Done that, Ted the Frog says it is on ordinary licence!
  3. It's classed as an automatic, so I would imagine a minimum of an automatic would be required. Best place to ask/loook is the DVLA or the driving Standards Agency (DSA) the ones who just last 3 million records :D
  4. Thanks I think this might be leaving me with egg on my face
    Listed below are vehicle category descriptions for driving tests passed after 1 January 1997 and the minimum ages for driving them. All weights refer to maximum authorised mass (MAM) unless stated otherwise. This is the total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry.

5. I think it would depend on when the drivers license was issued. If he was a old twwwwatt, like, say you, then he should have the requsite part under "grandfathers rights"

If not then:-
    Vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg

(FSC 3.7 tonne)

BICBW natch.
  6. Yes us :) Old twaaaatttss are OK but after 97 they moved the goal posts as you say. Just cost me a fekin pint as the lad I was talking to fell into this catergory:roll:

Thanks all anyway.
  7. I passed the test to drive one, great maschine. I never had a normal Rover licence, just an automatic which meant I wasn´t allowed to drive a Rover! However one fine day I was asked if I had a licence, to which I said "Yes, I have" Then I was asked if I wanted to drive the Sqn Ldr! I thought " Cushy job!"
    "Yes please" I drove the Sqn Ldr for over a year and no-one checked my licence, ever! If any of the Driving Inst from the Scots D.G,s Are reading this; Ha ha never caught me did you you silly men!
    Oh and when I done my test, I just got back from an all nighter and was so pissed I could hardly walk, but I was complimented on my driving skills anyway.
    P.S. Even The Jap thought I was a great driver, if only he knew! He feckin hated me!
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

When I run out of reads on this forum I frequent http://www.hmvf.co.uk/

I am sure this question arose there a month ot two back and (see comments above) the Mark 1 was okay on a modern automatic licence, being under the stated maximum weight, but other variants were not.
  9. Can be driven on a CAT B ( CAR)

As could the Green Goddess fire engine, believe it or not!!
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Isnt that based on when you took your test?
  11. yes it is, pre 1997, you got granfather rights and all that malarky.

Great in the MT now, only blokes with minibus licences are full screw and above - arrse