FEPOW update: murdered signallers - on the Lisbon Maru

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by armouredmatelot, Aug 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm continuing my research into Irish citizens, serving with the British forces, who ended up as Far East POWs.

At the moment I'm focusing on the sinking of the Lisbon Maru. There were twenty two Irishmen amongst the hundreds of British soldiers murdered when the Japanese battened down the hatches on a sinking ship. It's a sad, though interesting, story.

But my query is this; I'm looking at the contemporary Japanese POW records for three of the men who were in the Royal Corps of Signals. Two of them have their ranks recorded as Lance Sergeant and one is recorded as Corporal. Leaving aside the issue of the accuracy of the Japanese POW records - which often contain errors - is (or was) L/Sgt and Cpl the same rank in the Sigs?

I'm assuming that they are all the same rank and that the differences are merely the result of clerical input that's as ignorant of Royal Signals nomenclature as I am... or, does anyone know differently?

Robert Widders

2. Lance Sergeant is a Guards (and possible others back then) rank. Would he be an infantry signaller from a Guards regiment? I've never heard of it being used in the Signals.

Unless it was a Signals Corporal attached to a Guards regiment who was called Lance Sergeant while attached?

3. Not sure if the OBLI were in the far east during ww2 but they also used the rank of Lance Serjeant. Could be possible thay they were attached to an infantry regt.

4. Thanks for the comments/suggestion.

All three men were badged Royal Corps of Signals. It's feasible that they were infantry attached, but it wouldn't have been Guards or LI. They were captured in Hong Kong so the obvious infantry candidates are the Royal Scots or the Middlesex Regiment - which doesn't help solve the puzzle.

Maybe I'll need to make a pragmatic assumption that they were all 'Corporals'

5. In James Allan Fords book Brave white flag, one of the platoon ncos is addressed as L/Sjt.