Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Female Staying In Officers Mess?

Hi!
Apologies for the vague title, didn't want to presumptuously call myself a girlfriend. I'm going to visit the guy I'm dating soon, which involves staying in the mess. I'm very much a civi, from a very civi family (hard knock life) so it's all a bit new for me.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips? He assures me that female visitors are 'positively encouraged'. He also said that fishnets are obligatory for entry, obviously.

Just checking I don't need to, like, bring an animal for sacrifice or something... I was planning on maybe just bringing some cake. Any major no-no's?

Depends on which Regiment he is in. You need to say if he is HCMR, RE, LI etc so more specific advice can be given. For example if RE you may need a short leather skirt where as if it is LI a Harris tweed would be more appropriate.

As for bringing cake. Jolly good idea.

Relax and enjoy it. It will seem slightly strange and Victorian but nobody's trying to catch you out. If however the b/f is a Cav type, expect many manifestations of weirdness, burgundy corduroy and strange toasts. .

Dress smartly (for dinner) and be nice. Nothing beyond you, I'm sure. And take the cake!

For what it's worth, my Mrs got very un-nerved by the armed guards on the gate. Expect to be stopped and don't let it panic you.

Report back on the biscuit situation after the visit. Also how did everyone eat their sandwiches.

On a serious note, assuming you're being serious, if your partner hasn't explained what mess life is like and what to expect, get a new BF.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to get a report back after the visit - sort of like Tripadvisor for military messes.

Queen's Regulations state that you have to post pictures on here, topless, obviously, before you are allowed to enter a mess.

I'll let him know you've complied once you deliver...

'She' really writes 'like' as in like, when she, like, speaks?

Cool.

FourZeroCharlie - 'she' does when she's very clearly, like, making a joke. Go you.

Report back on the biscuit situation after the visit. Also how did everyone eat their sandwiches.

Deleted 20555 - ha! I hear Taylors is a good choice for coffee, and that one should never scrimp on biscuits..

Thanks for the tips guys! Definitely baking a cake.