Female soldiers ‘forced to fight’

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Feb 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times February 21, 2010

Female soldiers ‘forced to fight’
    Michael Smith 1 Comment
    Recommend? FEMALE soldiers in Afghanistan are being left with little choice but to fight the Taliban on the front line.

Senior officers have blocked repeated efforts by ministers to put women in frontline combat. A fresh review, due later this year, is expected to maintain the ban. But one female soldier has described how she repeatedly fired her rifle during fighting with the Taliban before being wounded.

The realities of the front line leave female soldiers little alternative, said Private Kerry Smith, a 25-year-old medic who took part in the fierce combat in Helmand last summer.

“The fighting was so intense around our objective that sometimes I had no choice but to use the weapon,” she said. “It could have been dangerous for all of us if I’d refused to use it.”
  2. If it's in bikini's whilst greased up who's complaining!
    If not then they're still soldiers so why not?
  3. No choice is different to fully expected to.
  4. Deleted
  5. As in No choice but to use your weapon and being in a position where you are fully expected to, ie Infantry soldier.

(before anyone gets a sad-on this isnt a putdown to non-Infantry units so dont take it as such)
  6. Equal Pay = Equal Opportunities.
  7. Quite a woman can stop a round the same as a man, equality in action.
  8. That's got to be the understatement of the year so far.
  9. Oh dear,how sad,if you don't want to defend yourself and your mates,either take less pay, or don't join up.The old W.R.A.C.and Greenfinches went out armed with handbags,a very deadly weapon!
  10. I assume I'm not alone in thinking that having an automatic 'get out of fighting terry free because i'm a woman card' is a pile of bollox?

edited for mongfingers
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

"The enemy firing point was right in front of me. I didn’t think twice about it. I started firing on the enemy position, expending about 15 rounds.”

Smith, who still has a round embedded in her leg, said she had been forced to join the frontline fighting on a number of occasions. “It was always as a last resort,” she said. “As a medic I’m a non-combatant. That said, I carry a rifle for a reason. I’m trained to use it to the same standards as the men.”

From the quotation, I don't think that Ms Smith was complaining, rather that the Times has elected to put a little spin on the story.
  12. That's my take on it too, Mr_Fingerz. No squaddie, male or female, who has a weapon would hesitate to start putting some rounds down when things get dramatic.

The title of the piece is very misleading

13. I don't like the tone the article sets, seems completely misleading to me.
  14. Well write to the Times and complain. Call the MT Sgt to get the Outrage Bus first paraded and deliver the letter by hand.