Female screw bullied out of job for being too pretty !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She needs to sort her fcukin eyebrows out for a start.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is that a hint of a tache going on?

I still would though.

"This clearly states that their duty is to 'look after prisoners with humanity' and I sought to apply that in my work by treating prisoners with respect."
That's where you went wrong. If prisoners deserved respect, they probably wouldn't be in prison. You were fooled by the Home Office propaganda.

"However, one officer didn't like my way of working which was counter to the macho approach he favoured.
But he could do the job that you could or wouldn't do, I'll bet!

"I was seen as a weak woman who could be bullied."
I'll correct that for you.

I saw myself in the wrong job, so I thought fcuk this, Who can I blame and where's my compo?
This is what happens when 'Diversity' becomes way more important than operational effectiveness, and often the sole criterion for appointment.

Many other Civil Service and Law Enforcement type roles have gone the same way resulting in ineffective staff being appointed to jobs they are completely unsuited for. And they've got them for life!

R

really?_fascinating

Yet more internet hardman posturing and slagging off of someone whose case has been heard in court.

really?_fascinating said:
Yet more internet hardman posturing and slagging off of someone whose case has been heard in court.
Ok, i'll bite...and bloody chew!

A prison officer is employed to keep good order and discipline NOT to look like they're about to hit the clubs on a saturday night!
She was warned about her appearance and chose to ignore that warning, another case of 'look at me, i'm special' She is special alright...in the head!
If she percieved her treatment as bullying then she has no place within the service, particularly in a male prison.
What would she have done when and if a male inmate had done precisely what was mentioned and dragged her into a cell because she 'was asking for it'? It can and has happened before, particularly with lifers.
If she thought that a fellow Officer was a bully, how would she have coped with the abuse from the inmates? It does happen on a regular basis regardless of how nice or humane you are.
If in the Army, a CO asked a female squaddie to remove her earrings or tone down her make up because it contravened rules, you would expect that request to be obeyed, why does she feel that she can disobey a rule just because she was a PO?
Quite frankly, the Judge in this case should have laughed it clean out of court.
She was a disgrace to the uniform she put on her back, what was left of it.
I'm sick to death of people like her thinking that rules dont apply to them and then running off crying to the courts because some 'nasty' man made her cry and ruin her fekking mascara.
:x :x :x

She also said that colleagues complained about her waving hello to inmates and warned that her "sexy" appearance left her at risk of being dragged into a cell.

I'd drag her into a cell myself. :wink: She's a cut above what usually passes for women guards at your local slammer. :omg: :omfg:

And "waving to the inmates". Fu ck a stoat!

really?_fascinating said:
And your contribution to the discussion is? :roll:

Alsacien said:
vvaannmmaann said:
Quite a pretty wee thing.The boy's on B Wing must be very sad she's gone!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...lied-out-of-job-for-being-too-glammed-up.html
Thought being able to give as good as you got and handling verbal was part of a screw job description - not a role for the emotionally vulnerable I would have thought.....
Part of the JD when it comes from the prisoners.

It is however a different matter when you are the lone PO or OSG on a landing and your "oppos" have made it clear that they may take a little longer than usual getting off their backsides from the wing office should the alarm sound and you are the one on the wrong end of a couple of prisoners trying to push you into a cell or over the railing onto the kamikazi netting.

Torygraph said:
She also said that colleagues complained about her waving hello to inmates and warned that her "sexy" appearance left her at risk of being dragged into a cell.
A fair point given she was at Brinsford, a YOI that takes 15-21 year olds and she is only 22, but again, when the banter goes to urine taking and then "we'll be leaving you on the landing on your own". Issues over her dress/make-up/jewlery were addressed by one of the Governors and she has proved she responded appropriately (probably because it was formally recorded somewhere). What was telling out of the whole thing was this comment by the Tribunal:

They also found she had been discriminated against on grounds of her age and unfairly dismissed, but said she was not victimised for making sex discrimination allegations.

The panel singled out prison officer Lee Hastings for criticism, and said his attitude towards her was dictated by her sex and age

"There is evidence of his having treated other female officers in the same way.

"It is a common theme in many of the statements we have seen that prison officer Hastings is abrupt or even aggressive.

"He engaged in unwanted conduct that had the purpose or effect of violating her dignity or of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her."
So the law was technically broken in her dismissal irrespective of the case she brought against HMPS for her treatment. That's a summary issue: either you (as an employer) comply with the law or you don't. In this case they obviously didn't in how they dealt with her dismissal.

Secondly, this comment says that a number of statements were taken by people who knew the circumstances of her treatment and they all consistently singled out the behaviour of one person as being "abrupt and agressive" and his Senior Officer did nothing to address this even after complaints were made.

I don't think that this is a case of "let's get some compo" as you still have to prove your case to the same standards as a civil suit when you go to Tribunal and they were obviously content she was able to meet that standard of proof, rather it's slack reporting by the Telegraph.

Can you imagine what would have happened to that respectful PO if a riot had broken out and they took her hostage because she was too dozy to see the warning signs and get herself to safety? 30+ cons would probably have demonstrated their mutual respect for her by raping the shit out of her and slitting her throat.

Never trust or 'respect' a con. They aren't in the nick for parking on a double yellow line, are they?

bossyboots said:
What would she have done when and if a male inmate had done precisely what was mentioned and dragged her into a cell because she 'was asking for it'? It can and has happened before, particularly with lifers.

If she thought that a fellow Officer was a bully, how would she have coped with the abuse from the inmates? It does happen on a regular basis regardless of how nice or humane you are.
I'm curious: have you ever ACTUALLY been on a wing, or more pertinently, a Lifer's wing? Do you think you will you find many "lifer's wings" in a Juvenile YOI (you might want to understand the difference between a Juvenile YOI, YOI/RC, and Cat C first before answering that).

walt_of_the_walts said:
Can you imagine what would have happened to that respectful PO if a riot had broken out and they took her hostage because she was too dozy to see the warning signs and get herself to safety? 30+ cons would probably have demonstrated their mutual respect for her by raping the s*** out of her and slitting her throat.

Never trust or 'respect' a con. They aren't in the nick for parking on a double yellow line, are they?
Again, spoken by someone who's never been on a wing in their lives. If a riot were to break out she wouldn't be on the wing in the first place, but then neither would the majority of POs because the place would have been "doubled*" well in advance.

*and if you don't know what that means, ask someone who has worked on a wing to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.