Female P Coy Pass

Re chalk and cheese, I don't believe so (if I have understood you correctly): The drop out rate is/was enormous in Depot PARA outside of P Coy. In my Pl fifteen out of about eighty passed basic training first time round. Out of the original starters not that many failed P Coy.

There was still Advanced Wales, BPC, and the final exercise after P Coy in my Pl. No-one failed BPC, but more recruits were backsquadded.

I don't wish to detract at all from those who have done AAPC, but for PARA Reg (rightly or wrongly), they are not regarded as highly as the Reg.
When did you join just out of interest?

It's a long time since I was in, but there used to be quite a few people in non-Parachute Regiment units who desperately wanted to do P Coy but couldn't because there weren't enough slots. By contrast, there were quite a few who had absolutely no intention of doing P Coy.

I'm sure you can guess which ones I had more respect for
From seeing the P coy documentary from the 90s, it seems it could be a long wait for a place on the pre para course. This was blokes wanting to join 5AB from other units.
It would probably have been quicker to join the Paras as a recruit then transfer after going to battalion.

Oyibo

LE
When did you join just out of interest?
I'd always wanted to join the Army (like many young men I suppose), and had seen the program 'The Paras' when I was a teenager.

Oyibo

LE
When did you go through depot ?And did you know any of the guys from the paras tv series?
Late '80s. Only knew one guy from the program when I was in 2 PARA. Decent bloke.

I'd always wanted to join the Army (like many young men I suppose), and had seen the program 'The Paras' when I was a teenager.
If only Grindr had existed back then, you wouldnt have had to bother.

From seeing the P coy documentary from the 90s, it seems it could be a long wait for a place on the pre para course. This was blokes wanting to join 5AB from other units.
It would probably have been quicker to join the Paras as a recruit then transfer after going to battalion.
I think it has always been possible to transfer from other regiments as a trained soldier. There were 2 soldiers from the Gloucesters and one from the LI. On the BPC was a Sgt from the Argyles. If they passed AAPC and BPC they went straight to a Para Battalion.

There was no problem from the Parachute Regiment, but they had a lot of hassles and obstruction from there battalions which is not a suprise. They did not have the advantage of doing Pre Para beat up as I think these all started as an unofficial thing by 7 Para RHA and 9 Sqn RE to get there blokes through.

Officers have always being able to do a tour in Para Reg as they still belong to there original Regiments and go back to them at the end of there tour. As per H Jones whose regiment was the Devon & Dorsets.

Last edited:
Late '80s. Only knew one guy from the program when I was in 2 PARA. Decent bloke.
I wonder what 'Gobby Taffy' is doing now. Probably in some bar in Wales boring peaple about how he was on the telly and was in the Paras and Foreign Legion. And threatening to fill them in.

It's a long time since I was in, but there used to be quite a few people in non-Parachute Regiment units who desperately wanted to do P Coy but couldn't because there weren't enough slots. By contrast, there were quite a few who had absolutely no intention of doing P Coy.

I'm sure you can guess which ones I had more respect for
I think there is a lot of peer pressure. There was a REME guy on my course who was LAD 3 Para. He did not ask to be posted to an Airborne unit. He was given his Red Beret. He was not bullied at all, but all the comments of "when are you going to do P Company', and 'don't be a total hat' he thought "F*ck it why not give it a go'. I can't remember if he passed though. I think he was injured.

Officers have always being able to do a tour in Para Reg as they still belong to there original Regiments and go back to them at the end of there tour. As per H Jones whose regiment was the Devon & Dorsets.
H Jones never went back to the D & D's.
( But I believe you are right because at that time Officers could do a 3 year attachment to Para Regt )
Purely by coincidence, I am fairly certain I met H Jones when he was D&D as I was at a boarding school in Dorset 71-74 and we were in their recruiting area. A very tall, stern fellow accompanied by a rugged Sgt.
Brought along some captured IRA weapons. First time I ever held a Thompson.

H Jones never went back to the D & D's.
( But I believe you are right because at that time Officers could do a 3 year attachment to Para Regt )
Purely by coincidence, I am fairly certain I met H Jones when he was D&D as I was at a boarding school in Dorset 71-74 and we were in their recruiting area. A very tall, stern fellow accompanied by a rugged Sgt.
Brought along some captured IRA weapons. First time I ever held a Thompson.
I think he did a tour when he was a Captain and went back to them as he belonged to the D&D. I am sure he became CO 2 Para from the D&D. I have just had a look at Wikipedia which seems to confirm it.

Agree with the P Coy logic, but it ignores the Depot PARA aspect. Depot PARA is a f*ck site harder than P Coy when one ignores the mental pressure of P Coy, hence the attitude of superiority.
One thing which baffles me then.

Parachute Regiment Officers complete the full course at RMAS Sandhurst (think hat). As potential Parachute Regiment officers they then attended Depot Para wearing their Red Beret mit Para Regiment cap badge and then attend the next available AAPC, the passing of which confirmed a commision as a Parachute Regiment Officer.

Isn't this track similar to the one taken by a 7Para RHA soldier then. And by the Para Reg reasoning above would mean that Rupert, stood in the door as number 1 at the head of his platoon, is not really a Paratrooper as he didn't do the full 20 weeks at Depot.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer

Parachute Regiment Officers complete the full course at RMAS Sandhurst (think hat). As potential Parachute Regiment officers they then attended Depot Para wearing their Red Beret mit Para Regiment cap badge and then attend the next available AAPC, the passing of which confirmed a commision as a Parachute Regiment Officer.

Isn't this track similar to the one taken by a 7Para RHA sooldier then. And by the Para Reg reasoning above would mean that Rupert, stood in the door as number 1 at the head of his platoon, is not really a Paratrooper as he didn't do the full 20 weeks at Depot.

Just a thought.
Perhaps calling him a "hat" will ensure that he doesn't refuse to jump. I'm a hat, it's just a thought.

Oyibo

LE

Isn't this track similar to the one taken by a 7Para RHA sooldier then. And by the Para Reg reasoning above would mean that Rupert, stood in the door as number 1 at the head of his platoon, is not really a Paratrooper as he didn't do the full 20 weeks at Depot.

Just a thought.
A fair point.

But someone who passes the Unit Selection Board at RMAS does not know whether he will get into the Parachute Regiment until he has passed P Coy. So while every other cadet knows they have a place for certain with a regiment or corps, Parachute Regiment candidates do not. Huge pressure.

For an officer doing AAPC if they do not pass they have somewhere to go back to, and to my mind 'better to have tried and failed than never tried at all'. (Although for some who are seen as 'forsaking' their previous unit I can see there is huge pressure.)

And a lot of attention is paid to potential Reg officers on P Coy

A fair point.

But someone who passes the Unit Selection Board at RMAS does not know whether he will get into the Parachute Regiment until he has passed P Coy. So while every other cadet knows they have a place for certain with a regiment or corps, Parachute Regiment candidates do not. Huge pressure.

For an officer doing AAPC if they do not pass they have somewhere to go back to, and to my mind 'better to have tried and failed than never tried at all'. (Although for some who are seen as 'forsaking' their previous unit I can see there is huge pressure.)

And a lot of attention is paid to potential Reg officers on P Coy
All the potential Para Reg officers on my AACC in 1983 were in the image you would expect of Para Reg - except for one. He was a big tall chap with a degree in Maths who was the spitting image of John Cleese. He struggled in everything and was probably looking at a fail anyway. In the milling he took a hammering and it was straight onto the stretcher race in Long Valley in +80% degree heat.

As you know the stretcher race teams are sized off in two pairs of four on each stretcher. On the front of our stretcher was JC and a big tall gunner from 7 RHA. At the back was Me and Mr Average height. Four midgets and dwarfs ccomprised the other team and we swapped over at regular intervals.

John was struggling to keep up at the outset and it resulted in one of the midgets taking his place at the front. This didn't go well as there was a bit of a mismatch at the front with Gunner Lofty becoming Gunner very grumpy Lofty as he was taking more than his share of the weight at the front as the stretcher was carried on the shoulder. When the time came for John to take his turn again, he jacked.

The lads exploded in anger calling him a wanker, tosser, and all sorts of un-officer like names. He may have got the odd kick or shove, nothing major, I can't remember, but it was the biggest break-down in discipline I have come across. The DS didn't intervene or say anything as the incident probably only took aboout 5-10 seconds and was just an explosion of anger.

John was taken away by the DS and we never saw him again. We soldiered on with myself and Gunner Lofty at the front and Gunner Maggot Malone in my place. Nothing was said about the incident afterwards by the P Company staff.

I would imagine that Lieutenent Cleese ended up in as a Troop Commander in the RCT or in a Command Pay office where his natural talents were of more use. He seemed like a decent bloke but it was obvious from the start he was not cut out to lead paratroopers (or hat attached)

Re chalk and cheese, I don't believe so (if I have understood you correctly): The drop out rate is/was enormous in Depot PARA outside of P Coy. In my Pl fifteen out of about eighty passed basic training first time round. Out of the original starters not that many failed P Coy.

There was still Advanced Wales, BPC, and the final exercise after P Coy in my Pl. No-one failed BPC, but more recruits were backsquadded.

I don't wish to detract at all from those who have done AAPC, but for PARA Reg (rightly or wrongly), they are not regarded as highly as the Reg.

Baring in mind that AAPC is 4 weeks, or was when I did it and often a few weeks on beat up before, during which numerous blokes pass by the wayside prior to test week.

Latest Threads