Female Dr Who - yes or no?

Assuming you're not just bullshitting please don't do this again [or at least put something like SPOILER ALERT at the top of the post]. I get quite cheesed off enough with the BBC trailers without people on here telling me the plot. I know I'm a sad old fart but part of the fun is finding out what's going on.
it could be a bit late but
spoiler alert

taken from the BBC's website

And if that's what she did, a bit of a knowing grin, I suspect it would look a lot more menacing. As observed elsewhere she seems to be challenging her inner Ecclestone and I'm not sure it's working with thlines she's being made to utter.
I am afraid I am tending towards the majority view on here and agree with your comment above.

The Doctor is an interesting sci-fi concept. With every incarnation there is an opportunity to bring a new flavour, but the essence of the original character must run underneath at all times. The characters need to have a common thread but they really can be quite different in presentation. Whittaker is trying to be too much of a past character and not enough her own one and that is definitely coming through in the first two episodes. She needs to branch it out more.

You could do all sorts of pop psychology on it as to how it is a metaphor of the human condition in a modern world but at the end of the day, it is a fictional character and the writers can do what they like with it. Some die-hard fans may be disappointed, and some new ones may be gained. Thinking cynically, the end result has to be commercially successful for the BBC as they sell it around the globe, not least of which is the US market.

Personally I have always preferred Star Trek as my go-to sci-fi and really enjoyed TNG and DS9 at the time but watching it back I can see how some of the stories were meant to reflect the times and now looks quite dated. It stayed popular right up to the end of Voyager but the new stuff like Enterprise and the re-boots have no interest for me. A dead horse is being flogged and it's time has passed.

Doctor Who is in danger of going the same way while they (the BBC writing team) try to find a way to keep it 'relevant'. Perhaps it should really just rest for another while.

I'll watch another episode but so far, it isn't really gripping me.

If a future episode is about the partition of India, I imagine we will get a lesson on how badly the BBC think we handled the issue and, hey, let's us Sikhs, Muslims and Hindus all get on. Massive optimism that a 'Sci-Fi' programme can make people re-think hundreds of years of inter-faith tension.

didn't watch it last night, it's got a bit too political for me, however on BBC2 at the same time Chris Packam from the nature- watch series, was doing a documentary on the Tyranosaurus rex Dinosaur and how our knowledge and perception has changed about it over the years, now that was science and time travel. Awesome, and well worth a catch up if you get a chance.

It is brilliant, dark, gruesome and in places quite funny. It also raises serious questions regarding possible technology of the future and how the human race will have to massively change in order to accept it. It is not for kids though as there is a fair bit of nudity and the violence strays beyond what is considered 'Ultra'.

There is also a show called The Expanse on Netflix, and although I am a massive fan of the original Star Wars + RO, I believe that The Expanse is the best sci fi ever made. It is very believable, well written and acted.

Watching either Altered Carbon or The Expanse will make you wonder why the BBC bothers. Oh and Consider Phlebus is coming to Amazon, cannot wait.

I'll second your comments on The Expanse - interesting, reaistic (with the science and background etc) and completely believable.

I'll second your comments on The Expanse - interesting, reaistic (with the science and background etc) and completely believable.
And then there is the “You belong with me moment” in season two. No spoilers but that was an unbelievable moment that really brought a lump to my throat.

didn't watch it last night, it's got a bit too political for me, however on BBC2 at the same time Chris Packam from the nature- watch series, was doing a documentary on the Tyranosaurus rex Dinosaur and how our knowledge and perception has changed about it over the years, now that was science and time travel. Awesome, and well worth a catch up if you get a chance.
Agreed - I changed channels after the Dr Who intro and was pleasantly surprised to catch this documentary on BBC2. I know Packham is marmite to many, but I really like him and there is no denying the passion he brings to this type of programme. Add in a shitload of experts, lots of stunning scenery from around the world (it must have had a hell of a travel budget!), computer wizardry and you have the recipe for a very entertaining hour. As an added bonus, there was nobody trying too hard with a Sheffield accent!

And then there is the “You belong with me moment” in season two. No spoilers but that was an unbelievable moment that really brought a lump to my throat.
Shut up...I'm not listening ...la lal la la la la...DVD will be on its way from Amazon in a week or so...

Agreed - I changed channels after the Dr Who intro and was pleasantly surprised to catch this documentary on BBC2. I know Packham is marmite to many, but I really like him and there is no denying the passion he brings to this type of programme. Add in a shitload of experts, lots of stunning scenery from around the world (it must have had a hell of a travel budget!), computer wizardry and you have the recipe for a very entertaining hour. As an added bonus, there was nobody trying too hard with a Sheffield accent!
It was really good until the last 3 minutes. All the changes made to Tristrum were because of sientific reasoning and research.
But the bit about the lions mane was because he thought it should have one because Lions have them. It looked shite and didn’t seem to be for any reason other than it was his idea.

It was really good until the last 3 minutes. All the changes made to Tristrum were because of sientific reasoning and research.
But the bit about the lions mane was because he thought it should have one because Lions have them. It looked shite and didn’t seem to be for any reason other than it was his idea.
It was a slightly better look than the all over plumage! :smile:

If you like reading sci-fi, the book series is very engaging as well. Written by people who have collaborated with George R R Martin so the writing style is similar, but they are very much their own 'universe'.

First book is Leviathian Wakes.

The Expanse (novel series) - Wikipedia

I'm trying to give it and her a chance but bailed out for a bit when the mini lecture was given on Rosa Parks.

Tub thumping aside the stories so far have been so poorly conceived and written that it is hard going.

The villain of the piece arrived and was cast aside with little explanation or indeed reason.

I have a suggestion:

Since the current Dr would crash and burn without the sonic screwdriver. An ongoing trend to be fair.

Bin the actors and let the screwdriver take centre stage. It does most of the thinking and isn'

This should have posted last night, which would have answered @jimmys_best_mate's observation. I left before the throwing out bit.

'Dr Who, time travelling social worker' has a BBC vibe to it. Although I still think she's here to perform the same role as Sylvester McCoy and close the show.

Dr Who, time travelling social worker' has a BBC vibe to it. Although I still think she's here to perform the same role as Sylvester McCoy and close the show.
Now that's a thought provoking idea. John Nathan-Turner anywhere about, hey? I never really got what the Sylvester McCoy doctor was about, but I did like watching the antics of Ace, his companion.

Happiness Patrol - a typical Sylvester McCoy entry with hidden meanings to the plot.

In The Discontinuity Guide, Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping identify a gay subtext to the story: "there's entrapment over cottaging, the TARDIS is painted pink, and the victim of the fondant surprise is every inch the proud gay man, wearing, as he does, a pink triangle."[7] The story ends with Helen A's husband abandoning her and leaving with another man.

Dr Who and the Candyman.JPG

Last edited:
Just remind me

Did Dr Who, who now declares that guns and knives solve nothing, once evaporate an entire planet of daleks?
That was a sublime message to our friends in London, Mr khan inisted or will not be broadcasted in Londonistan

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It is brilliant, dark, gruesome and in places quite funny. It also raises serious questions regarding possible technology of the future and how the human race will have to massively change in order to accept it. It is not for kids though as there is a fair bit of nudity and the violence strays beyond what is considered 'Ultra'.

There is also a show called The Expanse on Netflix, and although I am a massive fan of the original Star Wars + RO, I believe that The Expanse is the best sci fi ever made. It is very believable, well written and acted.

Watching either Altered Carbon or The Expanse will make you wonder why the BBC bothers. Oh and Consider Phlebus is coming to Amazon, cannot wait.
Agree with all of that, it's just a shame that The Expanse had to be cancelled on mainstream TV, Amazon have picked up the package though.

Agree with all of that, it's just a shame that The Expanse had to be cancelled on mainstream TV, Amazon have picked up the package though.
The owner of Amazon Jeff Bezos is a massive fan of the show, so hopefully the budget will not be an issue, although the special effects have been great so far.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HHH The Intelligence Cell 892
Camm1 The Intelligence Cell 1
Bras19 REME 44