Female CMTs and the future of the trade.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Filbert Fox, Aug 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not a female or CMT bashing thread!

There is an awful lot of female CMTs knocking about in the RAMC, and I'm not knocking their skills or actual commitment to the job, but most of them leave the Army early on for whatever reason. So with so many females serving at the moment in LCpl and Cpl postions and historically not usually serving past say the 9 year point, what effect will that have on the trade in say 10 years?

I remember there were concerns raised a few years ago about this. Your views?
  2. That’s a good observation, I’ve never really noticed that before but that would explain the lack of females in the Mess!

But I’m wondering that with the youngsters flying through the ranks so quick, 4-5 year Cpls, 5-6 year Sgts will they be more likely to stay in because of the increase wage compared to many years ago, being a 10 year Lcpl for example.

A Sgts wage isn’t to be laughed at in this current climate!
  3. in my last 15yrs i don't think i seen any female CMT's above sgt rank
  4. Now you come to mention it.... I dont even think I know of one at Sgt Rank???
  5. There are a fair few female SNCO CMTs about and I know of at least 2 female WO2. Several female SNCOs are currently instructing at Keogh. On the last CMT Cpl – Sgt board out of the 48 selected for promotion 16 were females.

I think easy-touch has got something reference getting the promotion fairly quick and then getting used to the money. Of course you’ll still get those who go off and do the baby thing but more and more of them are returning to work after having the kid.
  6. the practice manager in NI is a FEMALE wo2
  7. Been a while since I was last at Keogh and hopefully be a while before I go back to that sh1thole. It really has gone down hill over the last decade or so :(
  8. by the rank of Sgt they've usually outgrow their combat 95's round the arrse, hence forced to leave... no uniform to fit em. They need a QM who deals with QA's :p
  9. Perhaps with CMT Cpls & Sgts both at 56% manned, perhaps it is already being affected!
  10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I was having a chat with a CO last year about female CMTs and his recent deployment to Afghan and about how the trade was reaching a 50/50 split and he was hugely positive about them and their contribution on ops. He even went as far to say that he would, if pushed, rather have females rather than males as they were (for the most part) easier to manage and much more enthusiastic. Take from that what you will!
  11. I'm not saying that the female CMTs arent as good as and in some cases better (and slimmer) than ther male counterparts, however, its a fact that they dont stay in as long, and as there are so many how will that affect the future of the trade!
  12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Wasn't suggesting you were having a dig, just recounting a tale I was told. Interesting point about them staying in though and I can't think of that many SNCOs and beyond. Come to think of it, I can't ever recall meeting a female ex-CMT LE MSO. There must be some around surely?
  13. There is at least one female RSM (RAMC) at present......................
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm.....doesn't quite fit the thread title but spotted this dit which gives a bit of flavour of what the role entails:

Good effort feller.