• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Fella

Does the word "FELLA" bother you????

• fecking hate it, i never want to hear its use again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • does not bother me in the slightest, far more important things to worry about.

• i use it day in/day out, i am a trg snco/jnco

• fella???? never heard of the word.

• i'll take the fifth on that one fella!!!!

• Total voters
What is the problem with the word with the use of the word "FELLA" ????

Fella - Any male.
Fella's = A group of males.

i concede that it is overly used at trg establishments & by snco's younger than the group of lads they are addressing.

i have seen the use of the word become a crate-able offence in some units.

gentlemen of the corps of royal engineers the floor is yours....

i take it this has replaced "gents" as the collective noun of choice of the young, keen, hand rubbing together, fingers together pointing nco of todays corps?

Fellow comes from late OE feolaga, derived from feoh + *lag, meaning one who lays down money in a joint enterprise.

But there is also fellah, which is a (mainly Egyptian) Arabic word meaning a peasant.

In my experience they are now used interchangeably in BrE, as a colloquialism for "man" and a synonym for "chap" (also BrE) and "guy" (still mainly AmE).

'Fella' is massively irritating.

'Gents' is repugnant, naff and synonymous with the RAF.

Dude is totally unacceptable chav-speak and anyone that uses it should be summarily tried and subsequently executed on the Regimental parade square.

:roll:

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
'Fella' is massively irritating.

'Gents' is repugnant, naff and synonymous with the RAF.

Dude is totally unacceptable chav-speak and anyone that uses it should be summarily tried and subsequently executed on the Regimental parade square.

:roll:
Nice one. Duck.

Brothers - let us not argue over the term which is Fella without doubt causing offence to some of our gentler souls.

So what alternatives have you got people?

Slayer - hope the hangover's sorted!

Easy shitetrained you will (eventually) have served long enough to use the word "Fella" in everday conversation.
I find now, that I'm at the age where I can use "Youth" to gain someones attention but if in doubt "Fella" always gets the required response. (Which is normally a shudder followed by a gritted teeth response.)

Nightrained said:
I thought when someone says 'fella', there telling you that there gay and require your attention.
This says so much about you NT. :D

NT- can I just pass on a personal thanks for the entertainment that you have bought to ARRSE since October 2006 with comments like these!

Follow the Sapper Fella.

ABrighter2006 said:
Brothers - let us not argue over the term which is Fella without doubt causing offence to some of our gentler souls.

So what alternatives have you got people?

Slayer - hope the hangover's sorted!
Mucker?

Latest Threads