Fella

Does the word "FELLA" bother you????

• fecking hate it, i never want to hear its use again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • does not bother me in the slightest, far more important things to worry about.

• i use it day in/day out, i am a trg snco/jnco

• fella???? never heard of the word.

• i'll take the fifth on that one fella!!!!

• Total voters
What is the problem with the word with the use of the word "FELLA" ????

Fella - Any male.
Fella's = A group of males.

i concede that it is overly used at trg establishments & by snco's younger than the group of lads they are addressing.

i have seen the use of the word become a crate-able offence in some units.

gentlemen of the corps of royal engineers the floor is yours....

i take it this has replaced "gents" as the collective noun of choice of the young, keen, hand rubbing together, fingers together pointing nco of todays corps?

I may be wrong but does "Fella" not originate from Aus/NZ

Fellow comes from late OE feolaga, derived from feoh + *lag, meaning one who lays down money in a joint enterprise.

But there is also fellah, which is a (mainly Egyptian) Arabic word meaning a peasant.

In my experience they are now used interchangeably in BrE, as a colloquialism for "man" and a synonym for "chap" (also BrE) and "guy" (still mainly AmE).

'Fella' is massively irritating.

'Gents' is repugnant, naff and synonymous with the RAF.

Dude is totally unacceptable chav-speak and anyone that uses it should be summarily tried and subsequently executed on the Regimental parade square.

:roll:

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
'Fella' is massively irritating.

'Gents' is repugnant, naff and synonymous with the RAF.

Dude is totally unacceptable chav-speak and anyone that uses it should be summarily tried and subsequently executed on the Regimental parade square.

:roll:
Nice one. Duck.

its difficult to choose which is best, youth

Brothers - let us not argue over the term which is Fella without doubt causing offence to some of our gentler souls.

So what alternatives have you got people?

Slayer - hope the hangover's sorted!

Easy shitetrained you will (eventually) have served long enough to use the word "Fella" in everday conversation.
I find now, that I'm at the age where I can use "Youth" to gain someones attention but if in doubt "Fella" always gets the required response. (Which is normally a shudder followed by a gritted teeth response.)

Nightrained said:
I thought when someone says 'fella', there telling you that there gay and require your attention.
This says so much about you NT. :D

NT- can I just pass on a personal thanks for the entertainment that you have bought to ARRSE since October 2006 with comments like these!

Follow the Sapper Fella.

ABrighter2006 said:
Brothers - let us not argue over the term which is Fella without doubt causing offence to some of our gentler souls.

So what alternatives have you got people?

Slayer - hope the hangover's sorted!
Mucker?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheBlackPearl(aaarrgghh!) Aviation 12
PLOD Aviation 11
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 5