Fell Running

#1
Just spent a week tabbing up in the Lake District and dragging Mrs JD around with me (she has now developed a strange liking for Biscuits AB!).
Got chatting to a bloke who's into fell running so went out for a run with him........fucking hell!!....Can't believe the speed that he came hurtling down the hill.
I am now considering entering a couple of races as marathons are boring compared to this and the prospect of breaking my neck hurtling down a hill appeals to me!!
Anyone know of any novice standard races or anyone done them before?
Just got a book called Feet in the Clouds about it and it's confirmed my suspicion that they're not right in the head!
 
#6
jack-daniels said:
Just spent a week tabbing up in the Lake District and dragging Mrs JD around with me (she has now developed a strange liking for Biscuits AB!).
Got chatting to a bloke who's into fell running so went out for a run with him........fucking hell!!....Can't believe the speed that he came hurtling down the hill.
I am now considering entering a couple of races as marathons are boring compared to this and the prospect of breaking my neck hurtling down a hill appeals to me!!
Anyone know of any novice standard races or anyone done them before?
Just got a book called Feet in the Clouds about it and it's confirmed my suspicion that they're not right in the head!
J-D, Now that post 'IS' timing! I just received an E-Mail from a mate who ran the Great Lakes Run yesterday (received the E-Mail on Friday so not sure how he got on yet!), it is in its' 3rd year I believe and is 13 miles of fell running pain 8O Feet in the Clouds is excellent, have you heard of the Bob Graham Round? a few ARRSERs are in the small elite club membership:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=123983/highlight=bob+graham+round.html
 
#7
Gundulph said:
jack-daniels said:
Just spent a week tabbing up in the Lake District and dragging Mrs JD around with me (she has now developed a strange liking for Biscuits AB!).
Got chatting to a bloke who's into fell running so went out for a run with him........fucking hell!!....Can't believe the speed that he came hurtling down the hill.
I am now considering entering a couple of races as marathons are boring compared to this and the prospect of breaking my neck hurtling down a hill appeals to me!!
Anyone know of any novice standard races or anyone done them before?
Just got a book called Feet in the Clouds about it and it's confirmed my suspicion that they're not right in the head!
J-D, Now that post 'IS' timing! I just received an E-Mail from a mate who ran the Great Lakes Run yesterday (received the E-Mail on Friday so not sure how he got on yet!), it is in its' 3rd year I believe and is 13 miles of fell running pain 8O Feet in the Clouds is excellent, have you heard of the Bob Graham Round? a few ARRSERs are in the small elite club membership:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=123983/highlight=bob+graham+round.html
Funnily enough I've just mentioned the Bob Graham in a PM. Fucking loony race!
 
#10
JD, I grew up just outside Kendal. Apart from a bit of schoolboy fell running I never took it up. Good luck to you, it is a truly mad sport. I've done the odd run or two round Brecon, but again, this isn't fell running, as you know.

Something a bit more local to you, but not in the league of fell running, is the Ridgeway run. This year it will start at this DTG. 10.10.10 10.10

If you fancy it, the Tring running club has all the info here http://www.tringrunningclub.org.uk/

I'm not a memeber and I've never done it........ but by God I'm tempted to give it a go before I die.
 
#11
I know the West Highland Way annual Ultra Race has a lot of finishers well into their 60's so there is hope for all of us who haven't so much as run for a bus since leaving the Army... 8O
 
#13
johnboyzzz said:
fairmaidofperth said:
Fellrunner linky

Wish I could knock off 30 years and do this :lol:
You want to run around like a 10 year old :D

Looks kind of crazy to me in my old age
Young man, with your legs you'd be up and down before I crossed the start line :D

Off to crack open a bottle of red, more enticing than going for a run in the pouring rain :lol:
 
#14
fairmaidofperth said:
johnboyzzz said:
fairmaidofperth said:
Fellrunner linky

Wish I could knock off 30 years and do this :lol:
You want to run around like a 10 year old :D

Looks kind of crazy to me in my old age
Young man, with your legs you'd be up and down before I crossed the start line :D

Off to crack open a bottle of red, more enticing than going for a run in the pouring rain :lol:
Young man !!!!! Don't think my knees could take those hills anymore


pour a glass for me :D
 
#16
I live in Windermere, they're all crackers!!! That's all I have to say on the matter.
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#17
fairmaidofperth said:
Fellrunner linky

Wish I could knock off 30 years and do this :lol:
My stepdad is fairly well known on that site I believe as he is into all that lunacy! I once did a short race on a boxing day with him. He was down before I had got to the top.

Try Box Hill in Feb as it is still classed as a fell race I think.

Fed up with with fragging yourself up Flagstaff then JD?
 
#18
Have a crack at the mountain marathons, they are nuts! fell running, tabbing, carry what you need and the crack isnt to bad with the other teams as well.
 
#19
First time I saw this type of event was ~1970 in Aviemore . It was I think Oct or Nov and I was kitted out for hillwalking with a substantial pack and plodding up a long climb …. I think to the Ptarmigan Café ( ? ) and suddenly these guys in shorts started sprinting past me … uphill . Some time later they were on the return and I was still climbing … I shall never forget the sight … they were looking about three steps ahead as to where to place their feet and they were really moving as they descended .
 
#20
Did the Mallerstang Yomp (near Kirkby Stephen) a few years ago.Cold, raining all the time, young kids whizzing past us, incredibly tiring....but I'd do it again.Our green skins, a Major and two Sgts, won the team event, tethered together with a tow rope!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top