Feign aid to (part?!)fund hospital ships

Presumably the hospital facilities on board would also be backed up with the absolute necessity of a logistic capacity, in order to deliver significant amounts of humanitarian disaster relief supplies, when necessary, perhaps in areas with no functioning ports - so equipped with some nice, remarkably useful, amphibious landing facilities as well?
Re-fit a decommissioned aircraft carrier?
Paint the thing white with a mahoosive union jack painted on the side. Med staff made up of professionally qualified veterans with ships company of retired matelots and booties. Now that would be a hospital ship :boogie::clap:

I thought that humanitarian assistance was a proposed role of the carriers, and a reason why T26s had to be so big, etc.? So we already have resources, or resources coming.

We don’t have enough hulls for the RN’s primary tasks (stand fast on manning).

Why this and now?

I thought that humanitarian assistance was a proposed role of the carriers, and a reason why T26s had to be so big, etc.? So we already have resources, or resources coming.

We don’t have enough hulls for the RN’s primary tasks (stand fast on manning).

Why this and now?
But they're warships, and even when deployed in a humanitarian role, are bombed up to fight a war. Take a decommissioned carrier and retrofit it as a hospital ship that has a fixed and rotory wing HEMS type capability, would produce an outstanding national resource. Staffing? As it's not a warship, then RN veterans etc would probably welcome the opportunity of working on the ship. Medical? Again, veterans and those of us that are well qualified NHS types.

The cost would be huge though.

not such a daft idea.

I personally liked it. Stealthy subs to deliver sas/sbs types, sig/elint and to pack a punch we can use.

the USN already have them.

USS Ohio (SSGN-726) - Wikipedia

Packs 7 tomahawks in up to 22 tubes, others are drones and the like. Two tubes are air locks or something.

154 tomahawks sitting off your coast would give one pause for thought.
The SSGN’s are pretty ******* useful. Taking two of your older boats and converting them would you give your Navy quite the boom stick.

The problem with TD is that he is reflects the average spotter’s enthusiasm for hardware and ignores/minimises the need for people.

In the case of some of the variants he proposes, the cost of the MOs/QARNNS/MAs/MedTech required to man them would more than double the overall process, let alone the Deck and Engineer Officers/Ratings.

To have a decent PCRF (because that’s what we need) will cost money, end of. Pay it, don’t pay it, but “innovation” generally ends up costing more. I’ve no problem with “innovation”, but in the main, at the moment, it’s being used as a diversionary tactic instead answering some hard questions.
But...... But....... If.....

The SSGN’s are pretty ******* useful. Taking two of your older boats and converting them would you give your Navy quite the boom stick.
Since the UK only has four SSBNs that would mean no more continuous at sea deterrence.

But they're warships, and even when deployed in a humanitarian role, are bombed up to fight a war. Take a decommissioned carrier and retrofit it as a hospital ship that has a fixed and rotory wing HEMS type capability, would produce an outstanding national resource. Staffing? As it's not a warship, then RN veterans etc would probably welcome the opportunity of working on the ship. Medical? Again, veterans and those of us that are well qualified NHS types.

Where are you going to find a decommisioned carrier from? Where do you get the people from?

My point being that we already have a planned and professed capability.

Your last line says it all.

...wasn't this sort of thing what the UN was supposed to do?

Since the UK only has four SSBNs that would mean no more continuous at sea deterrence.

Where are you going to find a decommisioned carrier from? Where do you get the people from?
Shame we didn't keep the arc. As for staff, I've already solved that.

So, where do I sign up and bagsie I get a room with a view which isn't a basha on the flight deck =D

You convert them once the SSBN has been replaced by one of your new boats. But that would require an expansion of the RN.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
I pretend no working knowledge of the floaty things, but I have some medical knowledge, having worked in a medical capacity for some year. This makes me worried about how these ships will be quickly re-deployed in case of a conflict.

Surely most conflicts are sudden affairs that break out when few people expect them (well, unless you've initiated it, of course). If this hospital ship is sitting off the coast of Foreign Climes providing medical facilities to the locals, what happens when it is needed to support operations in the Black Sea somewhere else?

The sort of medical attention that requires operating theatres and acute treatment facilities often means patients dependent on post-operative after-care that only hospitals can provide. Presuming that a proposed foreign aid/soft power hospital ship will be on station precisely because the local facilities cannot provide this sort of care, it is going to be diplomatically difficult to abandon patients part-way through their care.

Do all the patients get dumped overboard post-haste to fight it out with the sharks? Are they transferred en-masse to some overworked local charity outpost, trailing IV lines and with a month's worth of essential drugs? Do they suddenly get the chance to become involved in a shooting war hundreds of miles from home because they're too ill to move? What happens to the bed-bound patients when the ship is required to up anchor and move elsewhere at a moment's notice?

Is this political, a nice little ship building contract for a hospital ship awarded just before the next GE, money squeezed from foreign aid being spent in UK would go down well with the punters? If/when Brexit is trashed would have to be classified as a military project to avoid putting it out to international/EU contract?

I noted the recent deployment of the US East cost hospital ship involved medics from several South American countries, so embarked medical staff could come from number of countries. Some pretty hot female doctors and nurses in the Ukraine! = happy Jack and Royal.

You convert them once the SSBN has been replaced by one of your new boats. But that would require an expansion of the RN.
Apart from needing more personnel, it mean mean refitting the Vanguard boats again. As the Astute class SSNs and Successor SSBNs will not need refueling it would create jobs. But think of the cost!

Also we have nowhere near that number of Tomahawks.

Apart from needing more personnel, it mean mean refitting the Vanguard boats again. As the Astute class SSNs and Successor SSBNs will not need refueling it would create jobs. But think of the cost!

Also we have nowhere near that number of Tomahawks.
Just think of it as "Foreign Aid"... I am sure the money will come out of nowhere if you tell the MP's it is to help reduce the number of mouths to feed in the third world.

It’s all part of the desperate attempts to keep Africans in Africa.

Africa’s population will increase by 1.3 Billion over the next 30 years. Europe is looking at migrations on an unsustainable scale.

More than half of the world’s population growth will be in Africa by 2050
Africa as a land mass is more than twice the size of Australia. It has some of the most fertile land in the world. It is also immensely wealthy in minerals. Oh, and solar power has BIG potential there, too.

The solution for Africa is not migration but getting its collective house in order and dealing with corruption and nepotism.

Possibly not a fashionable view among the more 'liberal' but true.

There's no reason for Africans to be migrating to Europe.

One could go as far as to say that Africa's problems are not ours.