Feign aid to (part?!)fund hospital ships

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Penny Mordaunt outlines new approach to foreign aid spending

also in the Mail but I would get spanked if I used that.

(?ex-)Sub Lt Penny Mordaunt RNR has come up with a wizard wheeze to take people's minds off her department's relentless waste of taxpayers' money by proposing the building of two hospital ships, which could rock up somewhere distant after a few weeks and give freebie health care to foreigners. She says the RN could use them when they are not working for her dept. I am not aware that the RN has any such requirement except during a serious war*, let alone any spare people to man them, nor that the NHS has any surplus of doctors of nurses to staff them. She also thinks other departments will stump up part of the cost. In your own time, go on.

*One hopes that now Blair has gone, desperately hunting around to join in other people's wars is off the table.

Christ Almighty. This is up there with Emily Thornberry's wheeze of stripping the Polaris missiles out of the V-boats and packing them full of bootnecks etc to act as a sort of seaborne QRF!!!

Jeremy Corbyn accused of trying to turn Trident into a 'taxi service'

I really do despair some times at some of the airy-fairy, heads full of blancmange ideas that come out of our elected representatives............

Christ Almighty. This is up there with Emily Thornberry's wheeze of stripping the Polaris missiles out of the V-boats and packing them full of bootnecks etc to act as a sort of seaborne QRF!!!

I really do despair some times at some of the airy-fairy, heads full of blancmange ideas that come out of our elected representatives............
It could be worse.
One of them might suggest re-using an older, tried and tested idea . . . like bombing Berlin.

Penny Mordaunt outlines new approach to foreign aid spending

also in the Mail but I would get spanked if I used that.

(?ex-)Sub Lt Penny Mordaunt RNR has come up with a wizard wheeze to take people's minds off her department's relentless waste of taxpayers' money by proposing the building of two hospital ships, which could rock up somewhere distant after a few weeks and give freebie health care to foreigners. She says the RN could use them when they are not working for her dept. I am not aware that the RN has any such requirement except during a serious war*, let alone any spare people to man them, nor that the NHS has any surplus of doctors of nurses to staff them. She also thinks other departments will stump up part of the cost. In your own time, go on.

*One hopes that now Blair has gone, desperately hunting around to join in other people's wars is off the table.
I think the concept is a good idea, but utterly impractical to resource.

Comment this morning … "F'in Cheers Penny, how will we man them'?
With Merchant seamen - no need for RN RFA or RNR crews at all - hell they dont need to be UK Crewed
unless the RN does want the ability to take them on at short notice like the points were.

Funding and manning courtesy of foreign aid - allowing UK to focus it where its needed and making it harder for recipients to misappropriate funding.

Get some commonality of design with Argus / FSS / even Bay replacement hulls and IK built boosts UK economy a favour.

I like the idea, a resource for possible future use in the event of conflict and a projection of soft power around the world. Manned by additional RFA personal and Reserve medical staff or NHS volunteers paid for by the foreign aid budget.

As regards the link in the OP:

1. International development secretary Penny Mordaunt has outlined a new approach to her department’s foreign aid spending as she told those who had concerns: “I hear you.”

Yes you may hear but you will still drive your own agenda

2. In her first major speech on Britain’s overseas aid budget since taking over the role at the end of last year, Ms Mordaunt also offered a passionate defence of the £13.9bn budget.

Duh, she would wouldn't she?

3. Addressing criticisms of her department’s spending, she used the speech to describe UK aid as a “shield” against uncontrolled economic migration, pandemic disease, organised crime, poverty and terrorism.

Well she needs to get the MoD to buy her a new shield because the one she's using is patently not working!

4. “I hear you,” she said. “I get it. I really do. You want a return to the priorities of the people. Not the priorities of the politicians. I understand that. That is one reason why I voted for Brexit.“

You can say "I get it" as many times as you like, but until you start actioning what you've supposedly been told by the people, absolutely nothing will change will it?

5. She attributed concern over aid spending not to a “lack of logic” or a “lack of love” but to a “lack of trust that were spending their money well”.

But you, and your predecessors, have been told that many times and still nothings changed!

I cannot see a mention of ships in the article.

Surely you remember Sean Connery being transported by missile in Never Say Never Again?

Comment this morning … "F'in Cheers Penny, how will we man them'?
I guess that makes a change from 'Cheers Gav...'.

With Merchant seamen - no need for RN RFA or RNR crews at all - hell they dont need to be UK Crewed
unless the RN does want the ability to take them on at short notice like the points were.

Funding and manning courtesy of foreign aid - allowing UK to focus it where its needed and making it harder for recipients to misappropriate funding.

Get some commonality of design with Argus / FSS / even Bay replacement hulls and IK built boosts UK economy a favour.
UK built and funded, with foreign crews? Similar design to the future Primary Casualty Receiving Ship (RFA Argus replacement)?

I wonder if Penny M has been influenced by what the Americans do with USNS Mercy and Comfort?

Except this is internal politics being used to fund the MOD budget by the back door, so they would be on the RN/RFA (I'm looking at you RFA Argus hospital and helicopter training ship) plot.

If illegals trying to reach Blighty in their little dingies and bein subsequently 'rescued' could be press ganged into service on these boats/ships then it may have a future.

And the logistics chain to keep these ships fuelled, supplied, maintained, crewed when on-station half-way round the world ... where does that come from, how is it paid for and by whom?

And the logistics chain to keep these ships fuelled, supplied, maintained, crewed when on-station half-way round the world ... where does that come from, how is it paid for and by whom?
You dont really need a logistics train, as a civvy merchant ship just pull into any near by local port and get the local agent to buy things you need (fuel and food). Anything else needed can easily be sent by civvie air frieght. Pylaying for it would come out of the operating budget for the ship which would come from the aid budget.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Perhaps they could just pay towards tje RFA Argus replacement and get use of that as required (gritrock was funded by dfid Aistr). Designated hospital ships are not great for wars as there are limits as to what else the ship can do so from the rn pov being painted grey with guns a dock and a flight deck is good)
Also having hospital ship in a humanitarian crisis is great, however it needs a back door/ evac chain, without which it will fill up fast.....and then what happens. Also what if the crisis is far from the coast they are not great.

Last edited:
Some genuine problems and solutions I can think of however...

Argus is not a hospital ship by international rules. She is a naval auxiliary fitted with defensive weaponry, able to operate offensive military equipment (mainly Helos, ive seen Apaches opperate off her) and is routinley used to for Helo training. Im sure the RN would want a flexible asset like that not a pure hospital ship. But maybe we could 2 or three and have one set up like argus and the rest doing fluffy stuff. Every one happy, following rules and ships cheaper per hull.

Manning! Currently the RFA is suffering a manpower crisis in the several key area (same as the RN shock horror). Trying to grow the RFA to man these new ships would be difficult but could be done. Especially if the hospital ships were not going to have large crews due to the reduced requirement to operate in hostile areas (firefighting/damage control/weapon crews) and this has happened in the past with the RORO ferrys the RFA operated in the 90s early 00s. This could also be combated by bringing in agency workers into those ships in the short term.

Forland shipping run the point class RORO ferrys for the MOD and the crews that operate them are not RFA but are spocsored reserves so either contract Foreland to increase the number of ships they run or organise the same style contract with someone else.

Or do it anyway but have little or no control/connection to the MOD. The UK merchant navy could always do with the spaces for UK mariners to opperate as they are an increasingly dieing breed as its cheaper for phillipinos and indians to crew ships. Plus there will always be plenty if volunteers from the NHS etc to go and help people for a year or so on a "cruise".

Perhaps they could just pay towards tje RFA Argus replacement and get use of that as required (gritrock was funded by dfid Aistr). Designated hospital ships are not great for wars as there are limits as to what else the ship can do so from the rn pov being painted grey with guns a dick and a flight deck is good)
Also having hospital ship in a humanitarian crisis is great, however it needs a back door/ evac chain, without which it will fill up fast.....and then what happens. Also what if the crisis is far from the coast they are not great.
See my last post about the RFA. They are great for wars and in general if you can afford them. They move reasonably quickly, have lots of space for stores, are not random tents in a field and upon arriving on station are instantly able to begin operating, not requiring you to put up said tents. Something like 2/3 of the worlds population is with in 200 miles of the sea. Your still going to have trouble getting to people both in and out if its in a field somewhere.