Fees for second undergraduate degrees/diplomas after 2008

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by ExplodingTrousers, Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that the government, in its infinite wisdom*, has directed HEFCE to bin funding for second undergraduate degrees and sub-degree courses: Link

Has anyone had any advice on their fees post-2008?

* Yes, I know.

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

ET, I know a few people who have done this, but I can never work out why? Why wouldn't you do a relevant Masters??? They're fairly flexible aren't they??? (Had a mate who did an MSc in Programming/IT after a BSc in Psychology) That said (and not really relevant) I'm looking at a CDL for my MSc next year; either that or a normal loan I'll pay of while I study 8O

3. The second undergraduate option has been utlised by some because its hard to get funding for a postgraduate. I considered doing it my self as I did not get funding for a post grad this year.

Luckally in Scotland things are much better than in England in terms of funding (and almost everything else) I know of no plans to stop second degree funding as yet and there is more postgrad funding per capita.

4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Guess that sort of makes sense but another 3 (or 4) year UG rather than a 1 (or 2) year PG would make me cringe. I'd rather take a loan from anywhere with a reasonable %APR and save the time...

(edited to add the only one I could possibly think it worthwhile for might be Nursing...that would make complete sense)

5. In my case, I'm switching careers completely, and a conversion MSc in Biology doesn't exist; my first degree result won't be enough to get me into a graduate medical course in either case, sadly...

I'm studying with the OU, who stand to lose a good £30 million-odd as a result of this move; I was just wondering how these cuts had affected course fees in other universities, as the OU is being very reticent about it all.

EDIT: I've just had a call from someone claiming to be from the OU, who now appear to be lobbying for these cuts to be reversed. Apparently, anyone currently studying for a second undergraduate degree is to be exempt from fee increases..