Feeling a little lost, I need a change :( Anyone been through a transfer from Army to RAF/RN?

Dizzee367

Old-Salt
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know if I need to move/delete it. Just looking for some advice, I've been in the RAC for 5 years and I have been loving it up until now. I'm 32 and it's starting to wear off on me, I have no interest in doing any of the "green stuff" anymore. I'm currently on a 2 year posting, but due to go back to my Regiment in December which I really don't want to do.

I have been looking at jobs in the RAF/RN and I feel like I would love to be working on aircraft. A few roles stick out to me, mainly the Weapons Systems Op in the RAF. Unfortunately it looks like the cut off age is 28, although I did see that for transferees it says "You must meet all eligibility criteria; however waivers may be appropriate in some cases." Could this be waivered do you think? If that fails, there is an aircrewman role in the RN which I am elligible for. I'd happily go into an aircraft mechanic type role too.

How easy is it to transfer out of the army and into the RAF/RN? Are they keen on taking in people from the army, or do they prefer to go for newer recruits that can be trained up from scratch? Has anyone else transferred from the army to the RAF/RN, and do you regret it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

D

Deleted 186086

You could re badge/cross to Royal Navy or the RAF.
But no idea how you go about it apart from asking your units RCMO?
Have you thought of the elite MPGS as you would stay in uniform & stay in the same location.

Faded

Old-Salt
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know if I need to move/delete it. Just looking for some advice, I've been in the RAC for 5 years and I have been loving it up until now. I'm 32 and it's starting to wear off on me, I have no interest in doing any of the "green stuff" anymore. I'm currently on a 2 year posting, but due to go back to my Regiment in December which I really don't want to do.

I have been looking at jobs in the RAF/RN and I feel like I would love to be working on aircraft. A few roles stick out to me, mainly the Weapons Systems Op in the RAF. Unfortunately it looks like the cut off age is 28, although I did see that for transferees it says "You must meet all eligibility criteria; however waivers may be appropriate in some cases." Could this be waivered do you think? If that fails, there is an aircrewman role in the RN which I am elligible for. I'd happily go into an aircraft mechanic type role too.

How easy is it to transfer out of the army and into the RAF/RN? Are they keen on taking in people from the army, or do they prefer to go for newer recruits that can be trained up from scratch? Has anyone else transferred from the army to the RAF/RN, and do you regret it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Can't really advise on the process but the RN wouldn't object in anyway. The upper age limit is 37/38? Plenty of 'older' recruits so you wouldn't stand out.

CC_TA

LE
For RN & RAF contact their careers offices, very helpful, they have, or at least did, teams that deal with transfers from other services. (They were quite happy to square away visits and look at life type stuff.)

As for army transfers:

Defence Gateway
Applications
Digital Transfers

Have a look through the jobs/cap badge list and away you go.

Latest Threads