Feel free to jump in...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by crazedfish, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right. In the RAF at the moment (I know, I know, in your own time-carry on!) but getting seriously vexed about it as a 'military' force so thinking of jumping ship over to the Army. Do you get a lot of people doing this from the Navy or Air Force and how might things differ during training (I have asked to go straight back to Billy-basics!)
  2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Tattybadger will love you, Good luck on the move go Airborne.
  3. I got to ask - why would you leave the chair force to join the harmy? :? Seems to me that you have it pretty cushy as it is. :wink: (I saw an air force dude who wanted to become a warrant officer so bad he went to the Army WOBC charm school; in fact he was in the same class I was. It was not pretty to see him beasted by two ugly TAC officers. )

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Have you actually spoke to someone in the RAF about this? (trust me I went through it in the 90's)
    It's not as simple as just transferring over

Is your trade undermanned for instance? (the RAF might not let you go)
    What age are you and what do you want to join?
    How long have you done and how long have you got to do?
    Are your CR's good?

All these factors can effect your application
    It may be you have to leave the RAF spend some time in civvy strasse and then re join
  5. .....with both feet?

What would you like to do in the army that the RAF Regt cant offer? Cos from where I`m sitting theres fcuk all difference in many of the trades FFS you even wear our uniform now with RAF badges.

Or is it the mid life crisis where you need a bit o ruff like my sqn clk instead of chancing your arm with the pilot baiting tarts you are used to?
  6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Stay on thread and keep it sensible. If you can't do that, stay out.
  7. Cheers for the replies guys-firstly, I know it must seem mental to a few of you I want to leave the RAF and go Army but it's not a snap decision being made. It's actually been playing on my mind for a while that I need to do it as the RAF isn't what I want. I'm actually from an Army background-my dad, my stepdad and my brother have all or are serving at the minute. My cousin has started his Infantry Trg. All the points raised are good-yeah, I've been testing the waters with the boss to see what he thinks, have a 3-4 good reports behind me and reckon i find a couple of officers to write me up well good! Not too happy about the fact I might have leave the Forces to join back up though...
  8. It is possible to transfer, however you need authority to do so in the first instance from from the RAF via an application made to your CO, and it then needs to be authorised by HQ RG SO2 Sldr Can Sel who is based at Upavon.
  9. It does depend what Trade you are and the manning figures. It depends on what you are looking for, but very few people do move from RAF to Army.
  10. I now how you feel I was in the same situation a while back, am completely disillusioned with the Air Farce, they are just totally lacking a military ethos at the moment and I can only see it getting worse, the "better food and accomodation" card just does't wash anymore as the Army are slowly coming upto scratch in those respects and the RAF is getting worse, there aren't even any "gucci" posts anymore to look forward to, you can't even speak to the shafters (drafters) properly anymore. The sqns have been leaned to death, the wrong people have been given too much power and totally fcuked up manning, casework have their heads up their arrse and the people who should be trying to make things better are too busy fannying around with their thunmbs up their arrse, sucking off the snivel servants to make sure that they are as happy as can be, its a fcuking joke, jump ship mate....rant over.....carry on.
  11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Somebody needs a hug..
  12. D0lly86-nailed it there mate. Everything you just ranted about is spot on buddy. Just don't feel like the Air Force is a reputable Armed Force anymore. Agree with the postings and the lean gripe, it seems to be run by clowns but they're not the only reasons either. There is no team atmosphere, no proper rewarding days and I just can't take it seriously. Every other person is 'downgraded' but PT is so rare I don't think they have to worry! Disappointing...
  13. You're quite right.

I was going to reply sensibly until I read...

"Right. In the RAF at the moment.."... Red Rag to a bull as they say... :D

Anyway, good luck.

If you find the advice is no good here, you may have to wing it...

Sorry :oops: red rag bull etc....
  14. Exactly I asked the PTI if we could arrange Sqn PT three times a week but keep it low impact for the downgraded people who wanted to participate. Got told no-can-do, too busy......doing what exactly?!! If your not doing PT what the fcuk else is the PTI doing?

This will make you laugh we recently had some work experience students in and at the end of the session one of em said "so is the RAF in the military then?" fcuking classic i asked him why he asked and he said he thought the military "did stuff" but apparantly the hords of "service people" flying desks and faffing around in offices baffled him.

The military is all about its ethos, pride and organisation, I see none of that in todays RAF. Have you noticed how all the good people are leaving??