Fed up of whinging on ARRSE

#1
and want to follow the official route :D for a change.

The problem is, my complaint is with organisations outside my regiment and I've officially complained before (as a Sgt) but I'm just fed up with nothing being done. I'm one of the most senior TA SNCO's in my trade but those setting the training don't consult us at all. The result its a complete cluster..

I have class three soldiers who need to need to gain their tape in order to complete the last section of their 3-2 workbook. Well they don't need the tape but it would be easier for them supervising others. Class 2 (in Sigs terms) means the soldier can work unsupervised - or quite simply this section is a load of tripe

Ignoring that, I was training/helping an RAMC and Sigs driver to use DII(F)/JPA this weekend, an intro to IT in other words. Guess where this appears in a ICS/IT operators training, class 1 (needed for Sgt). This sort of training needs to be at recruit level, potentially for every TA recruit like it is for the regular army (so they can use DII/JPA etc). The IT section has even been taken from the Regular recruit Royal Signals Formal Trainging Statement (or BSS RSTO).

and relax........
 
#2
polar said:
Ignoring that, I was training/helping an RAMC and Sigs driver to use DII(F)/JPA this weekend, an intro to IT in other words. Guess where this appears in a ICS/IT operators training, class 1 (needed for Sgt). This sort of training needs to be at recruit level, potentially for every TA recruit like it is for the regular army (so they can use DII/JPA etc). The IT section has even been taken from the Regular recruit Royal Signals Formal Trainging Statement (or BSS RSTO).
I can't disagree with that. I've been told that on a Reebok det, once set-up is complete, my main responsibility is to provide IT support to the users.

I'm not a complete IT mong, but is that's the aspiration some trg above the level of "this plugs in here" is to be desired. As it stands, it consists mostly of "don't worry, I'll [PSI IS Eng] always be around somewhere."
 
#3
usmarox said:
I'm not a complete IT mong, but is that's the aspiration some trg above the level of "this plugs in here" is to be desired. As it stands, it consists mostly of "don't worry, I'll [PSI IS Eng] always be around somewhere."
Its difficult managing TA training, things change so quickly. Take the RAMC guy, he needs to be able to use JPA to put in claims (as does the entire Sqn when we go on camp). At the mo, its just officers/SNCO's making claims on JPA, the OR's aren't, thats not right.
 
#4
polar said:
usmarox said:
I'm not a complete IT mong, but is that's the aspiration some trg above the level of "this plugs in here" is to be desired. As it stands, it consists mostly of "don't worry, I'll [PSI IS Eng] always be around somewhere."
Its difficult managing TA training, things change so quickly. Take the RAMC guy, he needs to be able to use JPA to put in claims (as does the entire Sqn when we go on camp). At the mo, its just officers/SNCO's making claims on JPA, the OR's aren't, thats not right.
How can this be? Surely they all completed the certificate of training which was the pre-requisite for your account being setup.

msr
 
#5
msr said:
How can this be? Surely they all completed the certificate of training which was the pre-requisite for your account being setup.

msr
Your not being serious are you? Yes, the soldiers did that 'package' but they still need to understand how to use it.
 
#6
polar said:
I have class three soldiers who need to need to gain their tape in order to complete the last section of their 3-2 workbook.
Bearing in mind that I think you lot are over promoted cunts and understand nothing of your trades; why do you need a tape to complete a trade level?
 
#7
Tiffy, in true arrse fashion. You will never be fed up of whinging on here!
 
#8
brucewillis said:
Tiffy, in true arrse fashion. You will never be fed up of whinging on here!
I love a good winge mate.

Is it me, or are most of the moaners Scaleybacks? Or is it that most of the Arrse TA membership are pasty faced signals geeks?
 
#10
StabTiffy2B said:
Is it me, or are most of the moaners Scaleybacks? Or is it that most of the Arrse TA membership are pasty faced signals geeks?
As there is a whole Signals Brigade, that probably skews things a bit.

But on the whole, yeah, you're right. Us scaleys are moaners. I reckon thats mostly because:

1. We don't have the scaling of comms kit we require.
2. We don't seem to take out what kit we do have very often.
3. We have a this stupid trade work book to get through, which thanks to points 1 and 2 above, means that its actually quite difficult to progress.

Add to that the seemingly constant changes in trade (name, version of workbook, kit we're expected to know) inflicted from above and its like trying to herd kittens, uphill, on a moving sand dune.

Maybe the grass isn't as green as it seems for other capbadges, but it certainly looks it when you're wearing a Jimmy.

TB
 
#11
TopBadger said:
StabTiffy2B said:
Is it me, or are most of the moaners Scaleybacks? Or is it that most of the Arrse TA membership are pasty faced signals geeks?
As there is a whole Signals Brigade, that probably skews things a bit.

But on the whole, yeah, you're right. Us scaleys are moaners. I reckon thats mostly because:

1. We don't have the scaling of comms kit we require.
2. We don't seem to take out what kit we do have very often.
3. We have a this stupid trade work book to get through, which thanks to points 1 and 2 above, means that its actually quite difficult to progress.

Add to that the seemingly constant changes in trade (name, version of workbook, kit we're expected to know) inflicted from above and its like trying to herd kittens, uphill, on a moving sand dune.

Maybe the grass isn't as green as it seems for other capbadges, but it certainly looks it when you're wearing a Jimmy.

TB
............... and that's why I left. :wave:
 
#12
TopBadger said:
StabTiffy2B said:
Is it me, or are most of the moaners Scaleybacks? Or is it that most of the Arrse TA membership are pasty faced signals geeks?
As there is a whole Signals Brigade, that probably skews things a bit.

But on the whole, yeah, you're right. Us scaleys are moaners. I reckon thats mostly because:

1. We don't have the scaling of comms kit we require.
2. We don't seem to take out what kit we do have very often.
3. We have a this stupid trade work book to get through, which thanks to points 1 and 2 above, means that its actually quite difficult to progress.
TB

4. To gain class 2 you also need to be able to drive B+E (land rover and trailer).

Suppose I could write directly to the Bde Comd, I could just re-jig the last one I sent him ....... when he was my CO
 
#13
TB,

Trust me mate, we all have similiar crap to put up with. At least you lot get ridiculously quick promotion out of it.
 
#14
StabTiffy2B said:
At least you lot get ridiculously quick promotion out of it.
What do you mean??? I've been in my unit for 5 years and only a very few have moved up more than one rank. I did 9 courses (all 1-2 weeks) to get my last promotion (although I don't currently need another course for any other rank above mine)

p.s. I suspect your quoting the regular tech trade
 
#15
TopBadger said:
StabTiffy2B said:
Is it me, or are most of the moaners Scaleybacks? Or is it that most of the Arrse TA membership are pasty faced signals geeks?
As there is a whole Signals Brigade, that probably skews things a bit.

But on the whole, yeah, you're right. Us scaleys are moaners. I reckon thats mostly because:

1. We don't have the scaling of comms kit we require.
2. We don't seem to take out what kit we do have very often.
3. We have a this stupid trade work book to get through, which thanks to points 1 and 2 above, means that its actually quite difficult to progress.

Add to that the seemingly constant changes in trade (name, version of workbook, kit we're expected to know) inflicted from above and its like trying to herd kittens, uphill, on a moving sand dune.

Maybe the grass isn't as green as it seems for other capbadges, but it certainly looks it when you're wearing a Jimmy.

TB
You must be looking forward to the reserve forces review, you just talked the MOD into saving a fortune buy cutting your Brigade in one post!
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#16
polar said:
StabTiffy2B said:
At least you lot get ridiculously quick promotion out of it.
What do you mean??? I've been in my unit for 5 years and only a very few have moved up more than one rank. I did 9 courses (all 1-2 weeks) to get my last promotion (although I don't currently need another course for any other rank above mine)

p.s. I suspect your quoting the regular tech trade
So the promotion rates in your unit are realistic then.

You typically require two CRs with a "recommend for promotion" before you can pick up at a board.

If LCpl Bloggs picked up his first tape the day before you joined, then he could have promoted 2 ranks in 5 years AT MOST. This would require him to have completed all of his trade training, but also achieved a strong recommend in evry single CR, including his first one post promotion.

Possible, but not realistic across a whole unit.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
polar said:
StabTiffy2B said:
At least you lot get ridiculously quick promotion out of it.
What do you mean??? I've been in my unit for 5 years and only a very few have moved up more than one rank. I did 9 courses (all 1-2 weeks) to get my last promotion (although I don't currently need another course for any other rank above mine)

p.s. I suspect your quoting the regular tech trade
I think he's referring to the junior ranks. Having had to earn my first tape in both the Sigs and the Inf, my own experience was that becoming a JNCO in the R.Signals was immeasurably easier (I was a RSOp as was then). I'd go further and say that both the Regular and TA Signals are teeming with JNCOs who couldn't summon the leadership skills of a junior Rifleman. No problem at all with paying tradesmen their worth, but stripes are about command.

Things seem to even out at senior level, but the amount of dross that manage to pick up a stripe in the Signals was honestly disheartening.

The_Duke said:
So the promotion rates in your unit are realistic then.

You typically require two CRs with a "recommend for promotion" before you can pick up at a board.

If LCpl Bloggs picked up his first tape the day before you joined, then he could have promoted 2 ranks in 5 years AT MOST. This would require him to have completed all of his trade training, but also achieved a strong recommend in evry single CR, including his first one post promotion.

Possible, but not realistic across a whole unit.
Note that a Rfn has had to have been a Class 1 Infantryman for a year before attending PJNCO cadre (though typically these days that is abbreviated to a year since passing out of CIC) after which the next promotion board could mean a stripe is anywhere from three to twelve months away. A real fast burner is looking at his first tape after about two and a half to three years.

My own honest opinion is that lads are better of for having marked time in the junior ranks as this is where they really get to learn the essence of their job (does this work for commissioned ranks too?).
 
#18
RP578 said:
my own experience was that becoming a JNCO in the R.Signals was immeasurably easier (I was a RSOp as was then).

Dets require commanders. You will always have a requirement for more JNCO's in Sigs trade.

I'd go further and say that both the Regular and TA Signals are teeming with JNCOs who couldn't summon the leadership skills of a junior Rifleman. No problem at all with paying tradesmen their worth, but stripes are about command.

But yes I agree. Just shout a lot and sound important 'Get some f ucking rounds down!' 'Oops I mean turn the Playstation on and make us a brew whilst your at it!'.

But the amount of dross that manage to pick up a stripe in the Signals was honestly disheartening.

Oh it would be so easy!But no.
 
#19
polar said:
p.s. I suspect your quoting the regular tech trade
Nope. I'm quoting you me old china:

polar said:
My best advice for a recruit would be

Recruit (year 1)

Phase 1
Phase 2 - two week camp

Next year (year 2)

Get Class 3 operator trade qual and get Cat B driving license (two weeks?)

Gain LCpl rank

Year 3

Get B+E (one week)
complete class 3-2 work book
attend 1 week of annual camp

Year 4

attend junior CLM (two week)
complete 2-1 workbook
gain Cpl rank

Year 5

attend class 1 (two week)
complete workbook part of Senior CLM

Year 6

complete Senior CLM (two week)
gain Sgt rank

or in other words don't go on your unit camp, except for year 3. For ED/AS Op add two year so you can complete C and C+E driving (with reduced annual camp)
I love always being right.

frenchie said:
Dets require commanders. You will always have a requirement for more JNCO's in Sigs trade.
Not really a sound argument when the whole det are NCOs though is it?
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#20
frenchie said:
Dets require commanders. You will always have a requirement for more JNCO's in Sigs trade.
That's a valid point and further than that, there are generally more NCO roles in a Signals Troop than an Inf Platoon.

Just shout a lot and sound important 'Get some f ucking rounds down!' 'Oops I mean turn the Playstation on and make us a brew whilst your at it!'.
Actually saw the order to make the Tp SSgt's cup of tea passed down from SSgt to Sgt to Cpl to LCpl to Siggie all of whom were standing next to each other in the same 9x9 tent. Now that's leadership and delegation!
 

Top