Fecking smiley faces

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Ozduke, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please! Can we get rid of all the stupid, childish and utterly pointless smiley faces icons?

People bang on about this site attracting kids and gits yet we pander to them with such idiotic rubbish!

Oh, I've just seen, they're called Emoticons! My humble apologies.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oh come on now :x

The whole point of 'emoticons' is to provide a pictoral expression of the emotions that go along with one's written input. :roll:

:? The idea behind it :arrow: :oops: is that a picture :bounce: paints a thousand words.

If we are honest with ourselves :highfive: we will see that pictograms or emoticons have been used since human speech developed, even from before the egyptians :farao: and only a fool :jocolor: would fail to see that.

I'd be a little less harsh about emoticons, for fear of getting your 'avatar' replaced with an 'oxygen thief' tag or worse, it might get you banned . . . :banned:
  3. :D your :x about the use of :wink: and such like :arrow: :twisted:
  4. [​IMG]

Yeah! Down with yellow smilies!
  5. :cry: ...but he was Orange... :wink:
  6. His future isn't bright now though.
  7. "97% of communication has nothing to do with the words we use" blah, blah, blah... :roll:

Even articulate people are misunderstood on ARRSE, hence emoticons assist with the non-verbal nuances we take for granted in spoken communication! ;)

Chill! :meditate:

8. They're crap.
  9. Shouldn't that be:

They're crap. :donut: :toilet: :tp:

10. Not a great fan myself if they're overdone. However they do come in handy when even the best-crafted post might be taken to be ambiguous. You can put a smiley in there to make it obvious that you're only joking.

It saves a lot of grief thereafter.
  11. :? why get :x when a :D will do.

Its nearly :santa: and everyone will be full of :love:

You :donut: