Feck me! Iraqis largely Optimistic, Feel Secure!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Dec 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/12_12_05_iraq_data.pdf

Even the Beeb are struggling to find some way to turn this survey into an anti-US/invasion rant.

Granted, Coalition troops not massively popular (niether is UN), but overall this certainly isn't the impression you get from Caroline Hawley and the rest of the doom-mongers on the Beeb.

2. Yep its good news.... The BBC article on the survey is here...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4514414.stm

I thought there were two very interesting things...

1) Their confidence in the Iraqi Army was pretty much the same as their confidence in their Religous Leaders - perhaps they are more secular then we think... Their trust in the police isn't quite as high but isn't too bad at all...

2) They do seem to want a unified country. Often people on this site have claimed a 3-way split is coming and all we can do is ensure it is a clean split. But this survey makes it clear they identify themselves as Iraqis... 70% of people want a unified Iraq... 17% want regional states and a federal gov in Baghdad... a mere 10% want independent states... Even in the Kurdish area the numbers wanting a united Iraq only dips to 43%. That's good news for a united Iraq. The one problem is that the figures wanting an united Iraq have been falling over the last year... so we need to hurry up and make progress...

Tricam.

3. Funny reading the 'Have Your say' bit and whatching the lefty-liberals trying to debunk the survey and leaping on a statistically insignificant 1-2% drop in 'optimism', when you know they'd have been leaping all over the survey if it had an outcome they liked.

4. ABC Poll.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/PollVault/story?id=1389228&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

"Average household incomes have soared by 60 percent in the last 20 months (to $263 a month), 70 percent of Iraqis rate their own economic situation positively, and consumer goods are sweeping the country. In early 2004, 6 percent of Iraqi households had cell phones; now it's 62 percent. Ownership of satellite dishes has nearly tripled, and many more families now own air conditioners (58 percent, up from 44 percent), cars, washing machines and kitchen appliances."

The majority of Iraqi's dont want the coalition to leave until their armed forces are capable of handling their own security.

5. However it was telling that old John Simpson - who has been to Iraq so often that he has probably carpeted his house from the markets of Baghdad - didn't feel safe enough to report on this survey from one of those markets, unlike last year.

6. Mr. Murderiya al-Terroriya, how would you say things are going in your life these days? -- Just yesterday I killed two more infidels, I'm delighted -- Interpreter: very good.

Mr.Murderiya, was it absolutely right, somewhat right, somewhat wrong or absolutely wrong that US-led coalition forces invaded Iraq in Spring 2003? - Allah almighty brought them to die on our soil -- Interpreter: somewhat right.

Who do you think currently controls things in our country; is it the Iraqi government, the United States government, somebody else or no one? -- All are in the hands of Allah almighty -- Interpreter: somebody else.

Since the war, how do you feel about the way in which the United States and other Coalition Forces have carried out their responsibilities in Iraq? -- They killed so many my brothers but Allah will punish them -- Interpreter: quite a good job.

Do you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose or strongly oppose the presence of Coalition Forces in Iraq? -- I need them at hand, to kill as many as I could -- Interpreter: somewhat support.

7. Surely, based on the evidence you presented, they don't want the coalition to leave until everyone has an XBox 360 (and that can be a long wait, according to my nephew)?

8. Why is this good news for us ? To quote from the Beeb article:

"Their priority for the coming year would be the restoration of security and the withdrawal of foreign troops."

Security will be restored by tribal militias - currently known as "Iraqi" security forces. When the Iraqis say withdrawal of foreign troops they mean everyone - not the forward basing the US wants.

Then kiss goodbye to US-style democracy as they and the politicos slip back into the mode they're used to. Victory ? Well yes, if you're Iranian.