Feature to bring you to the last post read.

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by gnuorder, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont know if dragonfly has this feature yet but I've seen it in other forum software. It's very handy, especially on boards like this which get some long, fast evolving threads. I spend half the time finding where I last read and I only follow a few threads.
  2. Try pen and paper.
    Write down name of thread.
    page number.
    and number of posts on that thread.

Like This:

Feature to bring you to the last post read.
    Page one
    post 2.

Its dead easy to use and installing the software is a piece of piss.
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The list of additional features available for our site forums software are here in the forumspro project, but it doesn't include your request as far as I can see:

I wouldn't write it off though as it seems a good idea and even if the mod isn't available already it may be possible for us beg / pay someone to do it.

Other than that it would need a move to new forum software - unlikely in the near future, although something we would consider if there were significant advantages. With this in mind can you post a link to a forum that has this feature so that I can look at it and what software they use.
  4. Unfortunately the forum I used with it has shut down, which is why I'm here more often. They used V-Bulletin so maybe they have it up and running on their site. I'm also seen it on phpbb and I think others, I'm sure.

I think you have to register for it to take affect. I'm trying VB now.

[EDIT]I was already registered with VB. It took affect as soon as I logged in. right under post reply is the option to view first unread.[/EDIT]

It doesn't seem to be active on the phpbb board but snooping around, it seems the option was added with version 2.2.
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks I'll look at those. PHPBB have recently released a version 3 I know. Our forums are PHPBB2 based, but I don't know if the developers will be incorporating the new PHPBB3 changes.

VBulletin seems to be the forum of choice for large sites and it's something that we have considered as the way forward for the future. It's commercial and you have to pay for it, although we effectively do that anyway through donations to the current software producers so this isn't a barrier in itself.

Not sure what I wanted to say with all that.. oh yes, I'll look at your links, and if it seems popular elsewhere we'll look at how to get it here.