Feature report in Daily Record, 9 Apr, about PTSD figures

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by theylie, Apr 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the total numbers of rotation through the herricks? The story speaks of the armys numbers of 1 in 10 in a strength of 100000, with 10000 damaged but with tri-service herricks and over 10 years, I read somewhere that the total rotation had been 250000. Is that correct? I would reckon its certainly over 150000, which may imply that the numbers needing help are grater than 10000
  2. Have you tried asking the MoD?
  3. Over a bank holiday weekend?! No. And if they answer like Glasgow, dont, there is absolutely no point!

Plus the article linked, whether accurate or not, implies that the MoD tend to round the figures down.
  4. So, you really expected to get an accurate answer here on exactly the same bank holiday weekend?
  5. 30% of all combatants will experience MH issues, of these 3-7.5% will develop full blown PTSD, which generally incubates after 10-13 years. So actually the numbers are lower than reported. Suggest you google PTSD Demographics, Combat Stress reports, Murrison report, Defense Medcial Services quaterly reports, SPVA MH indicators and read throughly before attempting to add to already poorly reported and misguided news.
  6. I can't help thinking that negative publicity and misinformation do several things to this subject and the sufferers. How about finding some positives in PTSD, which is after all sometimes thought of as just a label for something that's more complex, and often more of a convenient judgment consigning most of us to freakdom. It also contrives to keep people ill and gives the layman ammunition to spout balls. "Got PTSD? Oh no, you'll possible never recover".

Or "just look at those horrible statistics, there's another good headline to milk the old cow again".

"How about "it's good you survived. Try to cope well, let's offer some positives to aid recovery and change your outlook". The reasons I think this way are my own business, but if most of us kept reading negative headlines and listening to quacks, life would be fairly rubbish for a long time.

I like this: "It’s important to recognise that PTSD symptoms are a perfectly normal part of the healing process when they occur immediately after a trauma. Our mind is often too pre-occupied with survival to process what happened at the time so revisits the experience helping us make sense and gain perspective on what happened. In the normal process of producing memories the mind knits the various strands of an experience together based on our senses, such as sight, sound, touch and taste as well as other aspects of what we were experiencing at that time".

And this: "These stories of survival after trauma start in horror and could be expected to end there, following a familiar spiral into a hell of flashbacks, misplaced guilt and broken relationships. But a new book by a professor of psychology challenges perceptions of the effects of life-changing events. In What Doesn't Kill Us, Stephen Joseph shares evidence collected over decades to show that, far from ruining lives, traumatic episodes – from divorce to natural disaster – can indeed make us stronger". What doesn

Much better to my mind, than negative publicity and misguided beliefs. No offence.
    • Like Like x 1