Fear of Flying

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Modi, Jul 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok very random question i know but i just want to get a bit of a census on how many people in the Armed forces have this issue, may it be mild or a big fear.

And if you do how do you get round this i.e. Drug's such as; Propanalol, Diazapam etc. Or other routes such as Hypnosis, Psych, Breathing etc.

I didn't know where to put this as it is random so put it here as i am joining as a Comms-Ops.
    And seems to be hampering the process....
    Thank you for any and all help on this issue!

2. Are you BA by any chance? I AINT GETTING IN NO PLANE FOOL!!!!!

3. Modi,

If your aiming your enquiry at guys who have served on either Telic or Herrick then the title is wrong. It's not 'Fear of Flying' it's 'Fear of being shot down'

4. Always remember that if you are going to vomit cover both your mouth and nose with the sick bag... (coz the lumpy bits always come down your nose)

5. I'm scared of heights, if that's any help :wink:

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I have a very good friend who flew all over the world with me but now is to scared to fly

7. Under no circumstances tell the loadie that you're feeling a bit queasy and that getting a sick bag may be wise precaution. Correct drills are to try and keep it in, then keep swallowing it down until the pressure has built up to that roughly equal to a leaking Gulf of Mexico oil well. At this point place your hand over your mouth leaving teeny tiny gaps between your fingers so that when it does finally break loose it comes through those gaps with the speed of a water cannon, thereby ensuring that you not only cover the inside of the helicopter, but you get plenty over your mates as well, so they start puking too. After the first salvo, don't forget to throw the rest up down the inside your combat jacket, or into your helmet, which you then put back on your head shortly before deplaning.

Hope that helps.

8. Or throw up into your beret, which then leaks like a sieve, but keeps the lumpy bits inside for you to chew on later ;-)

9. Knew a guy in 23 Bty who was shit scared of flying - mainly in helicopters. So when in the Falklands, we found it was our duty to inform the loadmaster of his plight! :twisted: Loady, then placed him in one of the seats that were right next to the central hook hatch/hole in floor for underslung loads and told him to be sick down that! :-D ...not that he also told the pilot that he had said he was a shit pilot! Made for an interestng time, as we went everywhere by wokker then.

10. Same in 24 Airmobile Fd Amb, went everywhere (surprisingly enough being airmobile) by helichopper. We had an RCT bod who absolutely kacked himself every trip, so we always made sure he was by the hatch and told him to watch the underslung load didn't hit any power lines...

It's not the flying you should be afraid of, it's the falling.

11. I was with them as well - my regt. was the arty bit. :wink: ...in fact I was in the airmobile from when it started out in Germany as 6 Airmobile. Funny as ****, concidering we were equipt with Abbot SPG's!! I mean it only weighs 19 tons not bombed up! :-D

12. If it's any help, I never did get over it, but eventually just learned to cope.

Tried climbing - after falling off for the third time when doing a lead, I took note of the saying 'if at first you don't succeed, take the hint'. Last bit of hill walking I did up in McDonald Massacre Territory, my then girlfriend (now wife), led me by the hand across a couple of 'interesting' bits while I just closed my eyes and pretended I was taking a stroll along a wide street and not 2 inches from a couple of hundred feet drop.

Tried flying - I'm only alive after my first flight in a light ac because the terror of plummeting to my doom was marginally stronger than my overwhelming desire to rip my seat belt off and get out at a thousand feet. As I taxied out for my solo, I kept telling myself that I could just turn around, park the ac and go back home in one piece ... which continued until there wasn't enough runway left to put it back down. It did get better, but never really went away - however, it was manageable and I think if I'd thought (at the time) to try climbing again, it might have worked. Probably the biggest lesson was to find ways to occupy my mind - flying in 'marginal' or 'challenging' conditions (ex-RAF, glider-tugging instructor) was fun :-D

13. Ok i am not sure how much i am allowed to say etc....

But i went for phase 1 training day 2 medical i got MD because i had and HAD being the operative word!
    And i am therefore considered a liability to guys as i am unable to operate at 100% But that never Stopped BA from the A-Team kicking ass!

And like i said i Had i got over it but the doc was like how can i believe you.... a F**king P**s Take if you ask me!
    The main reason was i was prescribed Diazapam on 2 occassions, But i no longer need them and am over my issues.

So i was asking if any 1 knew any 1 who uses them and is in Training or in Service etc!

14. I can outdo all your walty 'When-I' type stories about serving in the Falklands, 6 Airmobile or on Op Telic.

I shot down 3 Iraqi HINDS using a MIG fighter I captured from a compound just north of Baghdad. I had to keep it below 3000 ft as the oxygen system failed when the old crate took a direct hit from a sidewinder missile. I still shot all 3 choppers down before bailing out over the Kuwait border without a parachute and landing safely in the desert using a Bedouin tent to break my fall.

I then tabbed all the way to Al Jahra making it back just in time for a meal of babies heads in a mess tin.

And I didnt throw up once.

Scared of flying?

You should be thrown out of my Army instantly.

15. The same Army you never made into.